We are looking for an Assistant Professor (tenure track) Global Economic and Social History of the period 1800-present, with a focus on environmental history. We are especially interested in candidates whose geographic area of expertise lies in Africa or Asia. The prospective candidate has a proven academic record as apparent from academic publications and contributions to public debate. When hired, you will play a central role in teaching the courses offered in the programs Global Economic and Social History (GESH) and Environmental and Water History. You can also be asked to teach general History and History and International Studies courses. You will have the freedom to redesign elements of the courses, according to your interests and qualities, and in close consultation with the director of studies. 30% of your time is available for research, for presenting at conferences and publishing, as well as for writing grant proposals. You will become a member of the history staff within the department of Art & Culture, History, and Antiquity (AHA), Faculty of Humanities. You are expected to work closely with other colleagues in your teaching and research, and to participate fully in the daily affairs of the department. Research of most of the VU historians is embedded within the CLUE+ Research Institute for Culture, History and Heritage and within national and international research networks and schools.
- teaching and/or developing courses, spread out over the year, in the GESH and Environmental and Water History programs as well as the broader History and History and International Studies programs; supervision of bachelor and master theses. Examples of courses that you might be asked to teach are World History 1800-present, History of Water and Environment, Climate and Crisis
- initiating and performing outstanding research leading to new publications
- preparing or participating in the writing of grant applications
- administrative or management tasks, including an active role in recruiting new students
- a completed PhD-thesis in History that demonstrates a clear affinity with methods of economic and / or social history, environmental history and global history
- teaching experience (as evidenced by excellent teaching evaluations) in relevant topics for this job
- a proven track record of academic research and publication, apparent from published or accepted peer reviewed publications and experience as a postdoctoral researcher
- In case the candidate does not possess a university teaching qualification (BKO) and/ or English Language Certificate (at least level C1), being committed to obtain these qualification in the first year. If the candidate fulfils all other requirements but is not (near) native in Dutch, proficiency in Dutch may be acquired within two years after appointment.
- demonstrated ability in writing research proposals to acquire external research funding
- versatility in the use of digital humanities methods
- openness to building connections from your own areas of expertise to ongoing research projects within the Global History section that might fall outside your immediate specialism, such as migration history, the history of capitalism, colonialism and decolonization.
What are we offering?
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor initially for the duration of 5 years, starting at 1 January or 1 February 2023. Tenure can be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. For the duration of the tenure track, performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, attempts to acquire research funding either individually or in consortia, academic service and valorisation. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment will be granted.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.821 (scale 11) and a maximum € 5,230 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities links a number of fields of study: Language, Literature and Communication, Art & Culture, History, Antiquities and Philosophy. Our teaching and research focus on current societal and scientific themes: from artificial intelligence to visual culture, from urbanization to the history of slavery, from ‘fake news’ in journalism to communication in organizations. We strive to ensure small group sizes. Innovative education and interdisciplinary research are our hallmarks.
Working at the Faculty of Humanities means making a real contribution to the quality of leading education and research in an inspiring and personal work and study climate. We employ more than 350 staff members, and we are home to around 2,000 students.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload the required documents untilSeptember 25, 2022.
Documents required for application:
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. Pepijn Brandon
Position: Full professor
Assistant Professor In Logic And Philosophy (Tenure Track), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 11 days ago
Assistant professor in logic and philosophy (tenure track) Assistant professor in logic and philosophy (tenure track) Published Deadline Location today 16 Dec Amsterdam The department of philosoph...
Assistant Professor Of Political History , Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam ;, Netherlands, 9 days ago
UD Politieke Geschiedenis The Department of Art & Culture, History, and Antiquity of the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, is seeking to fill a 1.0 position in Political History. Job description We a...
Assistant Professor Reimagining Accountability Practices For Purpose Led Transformation (Career Track), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 3 days ago
Assistant Professor Reimagining accountability practices for purpose-led transformation (career track) Assistant Professor Reimagining accountability practices for purpose-led transformation (care...
Project Manager Community Service Learning, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 13 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a un...
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) In Neurogenomics/Cellular…, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in neurogenomics/cellular neuroscience Do you want to help us to advance the field of neuroscience? Do you want to develop your own research group to help our un...
Chapter Lead Business Analysts, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, 2 days ago
For almost 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At t...