Assistant Professor in Film Studies (1.0 FTE) (222752)
- « Back to the overview
The Arts, Culture and Media programme of the University of Groningen is looking for a highly motivated full-time Assistant Professor in Film Studies (in Dutch: universitair docent).
The candidate is expected to have a broad expertise in film history, film theory, and film analysis. The position combines teaching (60%) and research (40%): while we expect a willingness to teach in a wide range of areas, the research profile of the candidate can be very specific, adding to the already existing expertise of the film staff or opening it to new perspectives.
We are particularly interested in candidates with an expertise in one or more of the following areas (in no particular order):
- Environmental and Ecological Approaches to Cinema
- Production Studies/Film Industry Studies
- Media Platform Studies/Streaming Media
- Animation Studies
- Queer Cinema/Gender Studies and Film
- Transnational and Global Cinema
- Film and Digital Humanities/Digital Methods in Film Studies/Big Data Approaches
- Avantgarde Cinema/Experimental Film/Expanded Cinema
- Film Festival Studies.
The successful candidate will teach in our Bachelor’s programme in ‘Arts, Culture and Media’ as well as in our international Master’s track ‘Film and Contemporary Audiovisual Media.’ The language of instruction is English. Women and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will become a staff member of the Arts, Culture and Media programme, which is responsible for the Bachelor’s programme ‘Arts, Culture and Media’ as well as four tracks in the master’s programme ‘Arts and Culture’: ‘Film and Contemporary Audiovisual Media’; ‘Music, Theatre and Performance Studies’; ‘Arts Policy and Cultural Entrepreneurship’; and ‘Arts, Cognition and Criticism.’ It currently has 21 permanent staff members, five of whom have a focus on film studies. Our highly international staff comprises colleagues from The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, the US, Canada, Mexico, Hungary, Greece, Israel, Italy, and Denmark. The BA programme has an annual enrolment of around 100–120 students from all parts of the world; the MA programme accepts around 60 national and international students every year (ca. 20-25 have an emphasis on film studies).
Teaching Staff Department of Arts, Culture and Media: https://www.rug.nl/(...)g-and-research-staff
Research is conducted within the Groningen Institute for the Study of Culture (ICOG - https://www.rug.nl/research/icog/?lang=en ) and its research centre Arts in Society (https://www.rug.nl/(...)ntres/artsinsociety/ ). ICOG provides ample support in applying for grants with national and international funding agencies. There is also an annual travel budget for conference participation and other research-related trips.
The successful applicant is expected to:
- teach and supervise students in the department’s undergraduate and graduate programmes
- participate actively in curriculum development and in the design and administration of course modules, under the supervision of the Head of department
- carry out and generate high-quality research in film and audiovisual media
- pursue research grants and other forms of external funding
- participate actively in international research networks and build international collaborations
- participate in the activities of the interdisciplinary research centre Arts in Society and one of its theme groups (such as Art, Medium and Moving Images (https://www.rug.nl/(...)m_-and-moving-images ) or Arts, Culture and Cognition (https://www.rug.nl/(...)lture_-and-cognition )).
In addition to a number of basic requirements set by the University of Groningen, such as excellent social and communication skills, presentation skills, coaching skills, and a results-oriented attitude, we are looking for candidates who have:
- acquired a PhD in Film Studies, Cinema Studies, (New) Media Studies or a closely related field (or will have received the PhD by 1 September 2023)
- an excellent research track record in Film Studies, including relevant book and article publications
- teaching experience at the university level and proven didactic abilities
- gained the Dutch University Teaching Qualification (BKO) or is prepared to do so within 2 years
- the motivation to acquire third-party funding on the national or international level
- a relevant national and international academic network
- the willingness to make substantial contributions to the development of the department’s research and educational programmes
- organisational experience and skills
- excellent command of English (at least CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, and speaking)
- the willingness to learn Dutch.
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university. In international rankings it regularly features among the best 100 universities in the world (latest Times Higher Education: rank 75). Its 36,000 students, more than 23% of whom are international, are encouraged to develop their own individual talents through challenging study and career paths. The university’s Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5,000 students and 700 staff members and offers 16 Bachelor’s programmes and over 40 Master’s specialisations.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
▪ a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,974 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 6,181 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
▪ a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
▪ a contract length of 18 months, with the possibility for a permanent appointment upon positive evaluation. The position has a 60-40 percent distribution with regard to teaching-research.
We acknowledge that talented prospective staff often have talented partners who also wish to further their careers. The university offers Dual Career Support in order to assist partners of new academic staff in building a new social network and looking for employment, an internship, voluntary work or further study opportunities. For more information, please check: https://www.rug.nl/(...)dual-career-support/
The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/(...)-nieuwe-medewerkers/ .
The candidate is expected to live and work in Groningen for this position.
Applications should include the following:
● a cover letter of 1 page that explains the motivation for applying for this position
● a full curriculum vitae including a full list of publications, acquired external funding, and talks
● a research plan of 1–2 pages that includes future ideas for grant applications
● a teaching mission that also contains descriptions of courses taught and lists teaching qualifications
● the names and contact details of two academic referees.
Applications that are incomplete or are otherwise faulty will not be taken into consideration.
You may apply for this position until 5 December 11:59pm / before 6 December 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
A first round of online job interviews is expected to be held in January/February 2023. The final round of interviews (either in person in Groningen or online), which will include a short research introduction and guest lecture, will take place in February/March 2023.
Date of entry into employment: 1 September 2023.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Miralda Meulman, Degree Programme Coordinator (for more information on the formal procedure), +31 50 3638950, email@example.com
- Dr M. (Miklós) Kiss, Associate Professor of Film Studies/Head of department Arts, Culture & Media, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
- BA Program Arts, Culture and Media
- MA Program Arts and Culture
- MA Track Film and Contemporary Audiovisual Media
Arts Professor Of Film And New Media, Open Rank , New York University Abu Dhabi ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
The Film and New Media Program at NYU Abu Dhabi is currently inviting applications for a full-time non-tenure track open-rank Arts Professor multi-year appointment in Film, New/Digital Media, and ...
Professor Of Film And New Media, Tenured/Tenure Track (Open Rank) , New York University Abu Dhabi ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
The Film and New Media Program at NYU Abu Dhabi is currently inviting applications for a full-time tenured/tenure-track, open-rank position in Film, New Media, and Digital and Interactive Media St...
Faculty Positions, School Of Film And Television Arts (All Ranks), XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), United Kingdom, 21 days ago
School: School of Film and Television Arts, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) Position: Faculty Positions, School of Film and Television Arts (All Ranks) Position Information: Open Rank Academi...
Postdoc / Research Associate Development Of Thin Films For Solid State Batteries Using Ald/Cvd/Pvd, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 12 hours ago
Your Job: We are looking for a postdoc interested in the development of thin film batteries and/or related in-operando characterizations. You will work in a diverse team targeting societally relev...
Assistant Professor In Photography/Screen Media Production , Universiti Brunei Darussalam ;, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Location: Bandar Seri Begawan - Brunei Salary: Not specified Hours: Full Time Contract Type: Permanent Placed on: 16th January 2023 Closes: The Design and Creative Industri...
Technician For Neural Interfaces Nanofabrication Advanced Electronic Materials And Devices, ICN2, Spain, 3 days ago
The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its rese...