Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
TU Eindhoven (TU/e) is a mid-size technical university located in the heart of the high-tech industry in the Netherlands. The Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry and the Institute for Complex Molecular Systems at TU/e are ambitious and inclusive academic centers renowned for their top research and education in areas such as Soft Matter, Polymer Science, Supramolecular Chemistry, Functional Materials, (Bio)nanotechnology, Protein Engineering and Biomaterials. Our researchers develop fundamental insights to engineer next-generation adaptive materials to address societal challenges in areas such as sustainability, health, and energy. The department invites applications for a new faculty position in the following area:
Experimental Soft Matter. The solutions to the major societal challenges that we face require highly sophisticated, adaptive materials, custom-tailored in composition and in structure, which can be reconfigured for optimal performance and recycling. Soft matter science is ideally positioned to address the fascinating fundamental research questions related to this radial transformation as soft matter is intrinsically adaptive, due to the weak and often tunable physical interactions between the constituent building blocks. The assistant professor will contribute to current research activities within the self-organizing soft matter laboratory and develop a curiosity-driven, highly original, challenging research direction aligned with and complementary to existing expertise in the group. For example, on functional reaction-assembly networks with (bio)chemical feedback or on adaptive soft, lifelike (bio)synthetic materials and the quantitative, spatiotemporal characterization of their hierarchical organization, formation, interactions, dynamics and function. The position will be embedded in an interdisciplinary team of highly qualified researchers studying self-assembly processes in (biological) soft matter aiming to advance our mechanistic understanding and establish guiding principles towards the rational design of novel (bioinspired) soft materials.
Do you want to work together in a research unit, in an open-atmosphere department, and set up and expand your own, independent research line and team? Then apply now!
You will be offered the opportunity to establish an independent, largely externally funded research program in collaboration with colleagues at our department and at national and international institutions. Substantial starting packages to kick-off your career in our department are available.
We encourage you to apply if you have a PhD degree and at least two years of postdoctoral experience.
- PhD in soft matter research, or a comparable domain.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and publication(s).
- Ability to teach, shown by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts.
- Creative and dedicated to (multidisciplinary) collaboration.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Excellent proficiency (written and oral) in English.
Conditions of employment
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming an Associate Professor. After a maximum of four years, the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal
- Female candidates are eligible for the Irène Curie Fellowship comprising a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Flexible work schedules can be arranged.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children daycare and sports facilities.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a number 1 position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to get an impression from current professors. Please click on the image to view this video .
For further information on this vacancy please contact prof.dr.ir. Ilja Voets, i.voets[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5303
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact Leo van Houten, l.v.houten[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8269
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position,
as well as your vision on independence and your potential contributions to current research activities of the group (see www.voetslab.nl for further information).
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
For those who know suitable candidates: please send a message to the Dean of the department:
the department board will then channel the recruitment further.
Assistant/Associate Professor – Chemical Biology, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 16 minutes ago
Are you a scientist who would like the challenge of addressing contemporary biomedical challenges via innovative organic chemistry-based approaches? We are expanding our expertise and have a new p...
Research Coordinator In Biomaterials And Regenerative Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? A permanent position as Research Coordinator is available in the group of Professor Molly Stevens in the Division of Biomaterials at the ...
Assistant Professor Protein Engineering And Ai, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 16 minutes ago
Are you a scientist whose research is on the frontier of protein engineering by using AI? Protein engineering holds the potential for revolutionary advances in medicine, materials, and environment...
Industrial Relations Officer For The Infra Life Initiative, Temporary Post Lund University / Max Ivapplication Deadline: September 22, 2021view, SciLifeLab, Sweden, 7 days ago
Lund University, MAX IV Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 44 000 students and more than 8 000 staff bas...
Administrative Assistant At The Nanomaterials Engineering Research Group , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 18 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 50%, Zurich, permanent The Nanomaterials En...
Project Manager Lifelong Learning, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, about 24 hours ago
The TU Delft Extension School for Continuing Education is participating in innovative projects that are focused on lifelong learning. Initially you will lead two projects that will require you to ...