within the Human-Technology Interaction group of the School of Innovation Sciences, which is part of the Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Science.
Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences
The Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences (IE&IS) has several BSc and MSc programs in two separate schools. The School of Innovation Sciences focuses on the development and use of new technologies in a broad societal context. Research is multi-disciplinary, based on fundamental scientific insights and methods. Main areas of interest are economics and sociology of technological developments, sustainable innovation policy, human-technology interaction, and the history and philosophy of technology.
The Human-Technology Interaction Group
The Human-Technology Interaction (HTI) group of the School of Innovation Sciences concentrates expertise in both social sciences and engineering, studying technology and its relations to humans and human well-being, within the broader context of a socially and ecologically sustainable society. The HTI group has a strong track record in education at the TU/e, running the BSc program Psychology and Technology and an (international) Master program in Human-Technology Interaction. Current research topics at the Human-Technology Interaction group include affective computing, persuasive technology, artificial intelligence, data science, virtual environments, digital gaming, recommender systems, online behavior, natural and artificial light, robotics, and embodied interfaces.
The position: Assistant professor in AI/HCI
For the HTI group, artificial intelligence is a strong growth area. We explore and wish to improve the user experience of AI, including the ability to provide fair and sensible explanations for decisions made by learning algorithms, and continuous adaptive personalization based on user data. We are looking for a candidate who will be able to connect cognitive (neuro)psychology to artificial intelligence. The Assistant Professor in AI/HCI will have expertise at the intersection of AI, HCI and psychology, with a strong human-centered focus, as demonstrated by a relevant PhD, as well as publications in relevant journals and conferences. Additional specific interest and expertise in human factors engineering and cognitive neuroscience will be appreciated.
- Doing research in areas relevant to the Human-Technology Interaction group;
- Teaching courses at bachelor and master level;
- Supervising BSc, MSc and/or PhD students;
- Applying for externally funded research projects;
- Administrative activities (e.g., exam committee, education committee, ethics board);
- Valorization activities and working with industrial and societal partners
The candidate should be open and interested to work in a multidisciplinary environment, with an international outlook, and with a strong focus on teaching excellence, scientific methodology and empirical research.
The candidate is expected to have the following qualifications:
- A PhD-degree in a relevant discipline;
- Demonstrable ability to conduct academic research of high quality on relevant problems, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and/or publications;
- Demonstrable ability to teach, shown for instance by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts;
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication and leadership skills. Note that there is not a Dutch language requirement;
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment and to build bridges between disciplines, especially within the School of Innovation Sciences;
- Holds or is willing to obtain a Basic Qualification Teaching (BKO) from the Dutch Universities’ teaching certification program.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department;
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming associate professor. After a maximum of 4 years the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal;
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career;
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment;
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities;
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes);
- Family friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
More detailed information can be obtained from Prof. dr. Wijnand IJsselsteijn (w.a.ijsselsteijn[at]tue.nl) and Prof.dr. Chris Snijders (C.C.P.Snijders[at]tue.nl) chair of the HTI group.
Further information about employment conditions can be obtained from: Kim van Puijenbroek, HR Advisor IE&IS, (pz.ieis[at]tue.nl).
Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- A motivation letter;
- An extensive curriculum vitae including publication list and teaching evaluations (if any);
- A research and teaching statement
- Three names with email addresses that are willing to act as references
If you are interested, we invite you to apply as soon as possible. Selection will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled.
Please note that a maximum of 5 documents of 2 MB each can be uploaded. If you have more than 5 documents you will have to combine them.
Ai Engineer For Ai Singapore (Technology), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 12 hours ago
AI Engineer for AI Singapore (Technology) - 00BE9 Description AI Singapore (AISG) is a national AI programme launched by the National Research Foundation (NRF) to anchor deep national capabilities...
Ui/Ux Engineer For Ai Singapore, National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 12 hours ago
UI/UX Engineer for AI Singapore - 00BC5 Description AI Singapore (AISG) is a national AI programme launched by the National Research Foundation (NRF) to anchor deep national capabilities in Artifi...
Head Of A Helmholtz Young Investigator Group (Dlr/Tum) For The Helmholtz Artificial Intelligence Cooperation Unit (Haicu) Mastr , Technische Universität München, Germany, about 5 hours ago
12.09.2019, Wissenschaftliches Personal DLR and TUM are looking for the leader of a Helmholtz Young Investigator group, who will be appointed as a TUM Junior Fellow at the new Department of Aerosp...
Technical Writer For Ai Singapore (100 E), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 12 hours ago
Technical Writer for AI Singapore (100E) - 00BEJ Description AI Singapore (AISG) is a national AI programme launched by the National Research Foundation (NRF) to anchor deep national capabilities ...
Two Assistant Professor Positions: Cognitive Perspectives On Artificial Intelligence (0.8 – 1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Two Assistant Professor positions: Cognitive Perspectives on Artificial Intelligence (0.8 – 1.0 FTE) Job description As an Assistant Professor you will be employed in the Department of Psychology ...
Full Professor Position In Ai And Health, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
The UvA’s Faculty of Science has the opportunity to launch a major recruitment campaign called ‘Connecting Science ’ in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer science. Our ambi...