The Faculty of Spatial Sciences of the University of Groningen is looking for an Assistant Professor in the field of Environmental Planning.
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of approximately 100 members of staff, 100 PhD students and around 1000 undergraduate students. We focus on high quality teaching and research in the fields of social and economic geography, demography, and spatial planning. With a single collective research theme of 'towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation' (tWIST), it is our mission to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two bachelor and eight master programmes, we provide a wide range of courses within the fields of geography and spatial sciences.
The Department of Spatial Planning and Environment of the Faculty of Spatial Sciences is looking for an Assistant Professor in the field of Environmental Planning.
The Department of Spatial Planning and Environment has 22 members of staff and 25 PhD candidates. The Department offers a vibrant academic environment with an international staff and extensive experience in working within international research projects. Its research is centered on institutional design for purposeful interventions within the human environment. The Department contributes to the bachelor programmes of Spatial Planning & Design and Human Geography & Planning, and the master programmes of Environment & Infrastructure Planning (EIP) and Socio-Spatial Planning (SSP). We continuously renew our research and educational programmes, for example by incorporating innovative digital developments. Our Centre for Advanced Studies in Urban Science and Design (CASUS) develops state of the art knowledge and digital skills, integrated in research and education.
As an Assistant Professor, you will contribute to teaching, research and management tasks. Your main teaching tasks will be in courses of the bachelor programme of Spatial Planning & Design, the master programme of Environmental & Infrastructure Planning, as well as in supervising master and/or bachelor theses.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor with an interest in environmental planning to strengthen our research and education in coping with several dominant sustainability challenges. Key examples of such challenges include climate change adaptation, environmental pollution and stress, and energy transition. The Assistant Professor will specifically target research and education focussed on the physical environment. Hence, expertise and skills are expected for analysing, researching and explaining physical environmental processes and impacts. Processes can include flows of matter, energy or pollution, while impacts can range from the deterioration of soil, water, air or health to phenomena such as flooding or climate change. Next to analysing the physical world, the Assistant Professor will explicitly engage with opportunities to prevent, mitigate and compensate impacts. In doing so, affinity with planning and policy making is crucial, as is engaging with related social sensitivities surrounding sustainability transformations. Notably, the Assistant Professor will actively play a role in connecting physical-technical knowledge of the environment to the institutional world of planning and policy making while pursuing sustainability transformations.
You will invest 60% of your time in teaching and management and 40% in research (including PhD supervision).
• has a PhD in the wider field of environmental planning, environmental studies, environmental geography, physical geography, land & water management, environmental engineering, civil engineering or a social science discipline with proven affinity with environmental issues, policies and planning
• has affinity with the translation of environmental issues intro policy and planning, environmental gouvernance and institutional frameworks
• has publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals
• will develop a research agenda consistent with the Faculty’s research focus and will supervise PhD students
• is in the possession of a University Teaching Qualification or is prepared to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• has experience in teaching; awareness of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching techniques
• is willing to participate in appropriate Faculty committees and/or other management tasks
• is supportive to the team
• is fluent in English and has knowledge of or is willing to learn Dutch (to at least CEFR B2 level – for reading and listening).
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,637 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 (scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
• on top of that income, you will receive an 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
• an appointment for a period of 2 years with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
Starting date: 1 April 2020
For information you can contact:
Prof. Jos Arts, +31 50 3633895 [email protected]
Prof. Chris Zuidema, +31 50 3633895 [email protected]
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
For more information on CASUS
Faculty of Spatial Sciences
Associate Professor In Urban Regeneration (M/F), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 2 days ago
The Associate Professor in Urban Regeneration will provide excellent scientific impetus for fundamental research on urban development in the 21st century and will contribute to the study of urban ...
Junior Researcher 'mobimon' (Mo Bility And Inclusion Mo Nitor) (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Junior Researcher 'Mobimon' (MOBility and InclusionMONitor) (1.0 FTE) Job description The new ‘MobiMon’ project of the universities of Utrecht and Eindhoven aims to develop a quantitative survey t...
Senior Lecturer In Landscape Architecture Especially Sustainable Urbanization, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 2 days ago
Department of Urban and Rural Development The Department of Urban and Rural Development pursue education, research and external collaboration in Agrarian history, Environmental communication, Land...
Associate Senior Lecturer In Landscape Architecture Especially Sustainable Urbanization, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 2 days ago
The Department of Urban and Rural Development pursue education, research and external collaboration in Agrarian history, Environmental communication, Landscape architecture and Rural development. ...
Tutor / Senior Tutor, Spatial Design, Massey University, New Zealand, 2 days ago
School of Design College of Creative Arts Wellington CCA_SD_090_02/20 School of Design College of Creative Arts Term length: ongoing Hours of work: full-time To view academic salary scales, please...
Junior Researcher 'maa S Trainer' (0.5 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Junior Researcher 'MaaS-TRAINER' (0.5 FTE) Job description While several governmental and research efforts are set upon Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS), most of them are driven by individual travel b...