Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university. In international rankings it regularly features among the best 100 universities in the world (latest Times Higher Education: rank 75). Its 37.000 students, more than 23% of whom are international, are encouraged to develop their own individual talents through challenging study and career paths. The university’s Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5,000 students and 700 staff members and offers 16 Bachelor’s programmes and over 40 Master’s specialisations.
Excellent research assessments and growing student numbers enable the Department of History of Art, Architecture and Landscape to hire an Assistant Professor in Early Modern European Art. The position is located in the chair group of Art History & Material Culture. We are seeking a scholar able and willing to further develop with us an inclusive and ecologically informed art history. The candidate’s research focus dovetails with the transhistorical, theory-minded, and object-based approaches dominant in the Department. The candidate teaches across the BA curriculum, which uniquely combines history of art, architecture, and landscapes, and within the MA track Art History & Curatorial Studies. The candidate has a strong pedagogical ethos, keen to participate in and develop innovative learning formats; the candidate has excellent social skills and is able to work with an international, diverse team of colleagues and students.
The successful applicant is expected to:
• teach and supervise students in the department's undergraduate and graduate programmes in English
• participate actively in curriculum development, programme coordination, as well as design and administration of course modules
• conduct and generate excellent research in art history
• pursue research grants and other forms of external funding
• participate actively in local, national, and international research and professional networks and build new collaborations, in particular with museums
• participate in the activities of the Research Centre for Arts in Society, part of the Groningen Research Institute for the Study of Culture (ICOG) ICOG, as well as in other inter-faculty and inter-university research & teaching activities
In addition to a number of basic requirements set by the University of Groningen, such as excellent social and communication skills, presentation and coaching skills, and a results-oriented attitude, we are looking for a candidate who has:
• a PhD in Art History or will defend their PhD thesis within the next six months
• knowledge of the fields of art history, material culture, curatorial & museum studies
• affinity with one or several of the following: eco criticism, technical art history, digital methods, cultural heritage and identity, art-based and artistic research
• an excellent research track record, including relevant publications
• teaching experience at university level and proven didactic abilities
• gained their University Teaching Qualification (BKO) or are prepared to do so within two years
• an outstanding national and international academic network
• contacts with professionals in the field, in particular museums in the Netherlands and beyond
• willingness to make substantial contributions to the development of the department's research and educational programmes
• organizational/managerial experience and skills
• excellent command of English (at least CEFR B2/C1 level for reading, listening, writing and speaking), and the willingness to learn Dutch in due course.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a minimum salary, depending on qualifications and experience of between € 3,974 (salary scale 11) and € 6,181 (salary scale 12) gross per month on a full-time basis
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• a 60/40 % teaching-research distribution
• favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
• there is a probationary period of 18 months. After a positive assessment at the end of this period the contract will be converted into a permanent one.
• the candidate is expected to live and work in Groningen for this position.
The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/
We acknowledge that talented prospective staff often have talented partners who also wish to further their careers. The university offers Dual Career Support in order to assist partners of new academic staff in building a new social network and looking for employment, an internship, voluntary work or further study opportunities. For more information, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/dual-career-support/?lang=en
The preferred date of entry into employment is 1 September 2023.
For information you can contact:
Dr Joost Keizer, firstname.lastname@example.org
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
Postdoc Environmental Histories Of Resource Extraction In Africa: Political Ecol, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Postdoc Environmental Histories of Resource Extraction in Africa: Political Ecol Postdoc Environmental Histories of Resource Extraction in Africa: Political Ecol Published Deadline Location yester...
Postdoc Environmental Histories Of Resource Extraction In Africa: Political Ecol, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 14 days ago
20 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 13 ...
Assistant Professor Sustainability And Planning (0.8 1.0 Fte), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 24 days ago
Assistant Professor Sustainability and Planning (0.8-1.0 FTE) Assistant Professor Sustainability and Planning (0.8-1.0 FTE) Published Deadline Location today 29 May Groningen The Faculty of Spat J...
Assistant Professor Communication And Information Studies, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 12 days ago
23 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands...
Assistant Professor Sustainability And Planning (0.8 1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 23 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applic...
Tenure Track Assistant/Associate/Full Prof. Innovative Computer Architectures, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 27 days ago
Tenure Track Assistant/Associate/Full Prof. Innovative Computer Architectures Tenure Track Assistant/Associate/Full Prof. Innovative Computer Architectures Published Deadline Location today 24 May...