The Department of Art and Culture Studies in the Faculty of Humanities is looking for an Assistant professor ‘Decolonial Pasts in Performance', to build upon and extend existing research strengths on this topic within the Amsterdam School of Historical Studies and the University of Amsterdam Research Priority Area Decolonial Futures
What are you going to do?
You will provide education in a dynamic context with ample opportunities for the development of innovative teaching methods. Your research will be part of the Amsterdam School of Historical Studies , one of the five research schools of the Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research . ASH represents and fosters the study of the human past from Antiquity to the present day. It brings together more than 200 academics from Amsterdam’s Faculty of Humanities, who participate in ca. 25 research groups. ASH does not limit itself to a particular period, discipline or method, but integrates a variety of (inter)disciplinary perspectives, including history, history of art, literature and religious studies. It encourages collaborations between scholars along thematic lines (e.g. Religion, the City, Conflict), geographical focus (e.g. Mediterranean History, American Studies, Modern Germany) and in terms of period (e.g. Antiquity, the Middle Ages, Early Modern and Modern History).
You will develop and provide modules within the field of Theatre Studies and Performance Studies in a historical postcolonial and decolonial perspective. Important is proven flexibility in teaching on topics beyond your own research focus, a willingness to work in interdisciplinary teams of teachers and the ability to offer inspiring lectures and tutorials in the BA, MA and minor programmes that aspire to a wide range of students. You will contribute to teaching at all levels in relevant domains. Among the relevant BA and MA programmes for which the post holder will likely be asked to contribute e.g. by providing interdisciplinary core or elective module(s) are Theatre Studies, International Dramaturgy, Arts and Performance Research Studies and the interdisciplinary Bachelor Global Arts, Culture and Politics. Several of these programmes offer internships and thus collaborate with theatre and performance institutions inside and outside of the Netherlands.
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in the field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the Faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programmes. The Faculty of Humanities offers assistant professors the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that - partly as a result of their interdisciplinary approach - are world-renowned. Moreover, you will be teaching in a dynamic context in which new teaching methods are being developed. Art and Culture Studies at UvA is a large and highly successful academic department that connects research and teaching in Art History, Cultural Studies, Theater Studies, Music Studies, Heritage and Memory Studies and Museum Studies.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- designing and conducting independent research in the area of decolonial pasts in performance', building upon and extending existing research strengths on this topic within ASH and the University of Amsterdam;
- active engagement in the ASH research group Historical Theatre Research: Text, Performance, and Production of Knowledge;
- actively pursuing external funding for research, notably funding from research councils, national as well as European;
- actively contributing to and developing national and international research networks and other forms of cooperation;
- actively contributing to the research activities of ASH;
- developing, coordinating and teaching courses in both Dutch and English, in the Bachelor and Master programmes, with a broad expertise in core topics of Theatre Studies and with a particular focus on a historical postcolonial and decolonial perspective;
- supervising Bachelor and Master theses and tutoring students; co-supervising PhD theses;
- actively contributing to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programmes in the department;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out departmental administrative tasks as directed.
What do you have to offer?
You are a dynamic and ambitious researcher with a strong profile, demonstrable by international publications and an international academic network. The successful candidate’s teaching portfolio should complement and add to the existing courses, while also responding to growing student interest in thinking about performance through post/decolonial pasts and post/decolonial pasts through performance.
Your publications show broad knowledge of European performance history in the light of decolonial and postcolonial critique and decolonial historiographical research methods, including institutional critique. Moreover, familiarity with histories and aesthetics of post/decolonial performance practices is required. Your research matches the profile of the ASH.
Your experience and profile:
- a PhD in the field of Theatre Studies or Performance Studies;
- demonstrable familiarity with histories and aesthetics of post/decolonial performance practices;
- holds an international academic network in the research area concerned;
- provides research output commensurate with the level of the position;
- active and ambitious researcher with a strong publication record;
- demonstrable ability and ambition to obtain external research grants;
- broad and relevant teaching experience at BA and MA level;
- good command of Dutch and English. If you do not speak Dutch, an active and passive command must be acquired within the first two years of the employment contract and the state examination for Dutch as a Second Language programme II must be passed;
- experience with digital and audiovisual teaching facilities and affinity with IT in university teaching;
- excellent organisational experience and skills;
- a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ), or willing to acquire this within the first two years of the employment contract.
What can we offer you?
We offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 18 months with a probationary period of two months. If you already have an employment contract with the UvA, we offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 12 months. The employment is for 38 hours per week. Preferred starting date is 1 August 2023.
The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week, ranges between € 3974 (scale 11) to € 6181 (scale 12) dependent on relevant experience. This sum does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
We additionally offer:
- the opportunity to collaborate in interdisciplinary teams;
- excellent opportunities for study and personal development;
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
The University of Amsterdam is the Netherlands' largest university, offering the widest range of academic programmes. At the UvA, 30,000 students, 6,000 staff members and 3,000 PhD candidates study and work in a diverse range of fields, connected by a culture of curiosity.
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in de field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programmes.
Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact (during office hours):
- Prof. dr. Kati Röttger, head of the department Arts and Culture
T: +31 20-5254098
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the link below. The deadline for applying for this vacancy is 24 March 2023.
Applications should include the following information (submitted in one .pdf ):
- a letter of motivation;
- a detailed CV with a list of publications and the names and addresses two references who can provide letters of recommendation;
Only complete applications received within the response period via the link below will be considered.
The interviews will be held in the course of May 2023. A trial lecture may be part of the application procedure.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
No agencies please.
Assistant Professor/Associate Professor Of Applied Materials Physics, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 5 days ago
16 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands App...
International Officer, Staff Support, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Do you have experience with supporting internationals coming to the Netherlands, and would you like to work in a multidisciplinary team of professionals in an international academic environment? D...
Assistant Professor Humane By Design/Creative Technology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 23 hours ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic, communicative, and highly motivated Assistant Professor with experience in Design Studies, Digital Humanities, or Science and Technology Studies (STS) who is in...
International Officer, Staff Support, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a un...
Lecturers In Corporate Communication, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 26 days ago
26 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Nether...
Assistant Professor Of Arabic, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 5 days ago
16 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Ne...