Irène Curie Fellowship
Are you eager to develop the new research field of City Information Modelling (CIM) to tackle the urbanization challenges of today and tomorrow? Do you want to be in charge of digital twinning for cities, and advancing geospatial information systems (GIS) with live input data from cities to create better future cities?
Cities are digitizing fast and effectively. They generate plenty of data that is of use for continuous improvement and design of future cities. Increasingly, city planning and management requires comprehensive urban data for spatial analyses and city development using state-of-the-art information technology. City Information Modelling is a relatively new field of research aiming at ways in which all the city information can be modelled and integrated for the sake of city development. This includes the development of open standards to support interoperability between different systems and services (e.g. GIS, BIM, IoT, citizens). City Information Modeling utilizes geospatial data, sensor data, 3D city data, etc. creating digital twins of cities with real-time connections to the physical world and its inhabitants, catering to various stakeholders such as municipalities, citizens, architects, urban planners, transport engineers, and construction companies. City Information models support better informed decision-making using simulations, informed visualizations, digital twinning, urban analytics, and real-time monitoring and control (Artificial Intelligence models).
The ISBE (Information Systems in the Built Environment ) group has a long standing tradition in BIM (Building Information Modelling) research as evidenced by many scientific publications in this field. The ambition with this new position is to bridge the gap between Urban Informatics and Building Information Modelling. We look forward to developing new knowledge about (1) the collection, handling, and use of city and GIS data in relational databases, graph databases, key-value stores and so forth; and (2) the creation of effective (AI) algorithms that can leverage this data to improve planning and management processes and urban planners’ and designers’ decision-making in the city. Using CIM, technical and societal challenges will be addressed such as: GIS-BIM integration, open data portals, digital twinning and real time data processing, respectively climate change, people flow and circularity.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a leading research university specializing in engineering science and technology with strong bonds to industry practice. Following the strategic goals, the Department of the Built Environment (BE) aims to educate future generations of students and meet today’s and tomorrow’s societal challenges. The ISBE chair is one out of the three chairs that cooperate under the research program Design and Decision Support Systems.
As an assistant professor, you will contribute to achieving the educational and research objectives of the chair of Information Systems in the Built Environment (ISBE), within the unit Urban Systems and Real Estate (USRE). You will participate in the teaching of courses and the supervision of MSc and PhD students, both research-, and development-oriented. You will be embedded in the ISBE group and closely collaborate with colleagues working on information handling methods for linked building data, geospatial data, sensor data, cultural heritage, circular economy, and Internet of Things (IoT). Also beyond the ISBE group, you will collaborate with colleagues from other chairs in the department on smart cities, smart building, and robotics. You will be involved in the writing of research proposals and the acquisition of external funds to strengthen current and new research initiatives in the chair. You will pursue strategic internal and external collaborations and publish your research results in high-quality scientific journals.
We offer a stimulating and ambitious educational and research environment and are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- You hold an MSc Degree in Engineering and a PhD Degree in the field of urban informatics, geomatics, civil engineering, geoinformation engineering or computer science. (You have postgraduate experience in the field).
- You have demonstrated your research skills by means of publications in reputed journals and conference proceedings.
- You have an affinity with City Information Modelling (CIM), geospatial information systems (GIS), databases, software development, digital twinning, and/or AI.
- You have gained international experience and collaborated with international thought leaders in academia on the vacancy topic.
- You can create a vibrant and effective learning environment and have the ability to motivate students both in research-based and challenge-based types of education (academic proficiency and design and engineering attitude).
- You have an excellent and broad international network in academia and industry to acquire research grants.
- You have an affinity with engineering and planning applications in the built environment and a creative mind in finding new solutions.
- Effective communication including coaching and mentoring of students and staff, leading a project or chairing a group.
- You have a good command of English, both orally and in writing.
- You are a team player by nature, but able to work collaboratively as well as independently.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming an Associate Professor. If you have a more senior profile, a tailor-made career proposal will be considered.
- The opportunity to focus your career on education, research or impact. You can develop your personal ambitions and objections within the strategic objectives of the university.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 11 (min. €3.974,-max. € 5.439,-).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support .
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it is like as a professor at TU/e? Please view the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ApbAfeCcM
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager Theo Arentze, full professor, t.a.arentze[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 2283
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Jennifer Berkhout, HR advisor, j.h.i.berkhout.dekker[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 2215
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Research Software Engineer In Energy Systems Simulation, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 14 days ago
Research project description The unfolding energy transition is currently being hampered by emerging problems with capacity shortages in the infrastructures for electric power. Lack of systems int...
Postdocs In Digital Twins For Autonomous And Safe Construction Production – Dtu Construct , ; Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
The Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering (DTU Construct ) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU ) invites excellent candidates to join our research team: Fully-funded Postdoc posit...
Ict Developer, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 6 days ago
The Department of the Built environment and USRE unit The Department of Built Environment of Eindhoven University of Technology offers education in a wide range of specializations in the field of ...
Postdocs In Digital Twins For Autonomous And Safe Construction Production – Dtu Construct, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 3 days ago
The Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) invites excellent candidates to join our research team: Fully-funded Postdoc positions (initial term...
Doctor In Science In The Fields Of Paleontology, Evolution, And Functional Morphology, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 5 hours ago
Department: Department of Biology Regime Full-time Let's shape the future – University of Antwerp The Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences & the University of Antwerp recruit a Doctor in Sc...
Two Engineers (M, W, Div, N.A.) For The Installation And Operation Of Atmospheric Observatories., Leibniz, Germany, about 2 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research is a research institute of the Leibniz Association and an internationally renowned institute in the field of aerosol and cloud research. The Atmosph...