9 Jun 2023
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
14 Jul 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Are you a talented and motivated early career scientist with the ambition to apply your expertise to neuroscience and brain disorders? At VU, you will have the opportunity to develop an independent and innovative research program using (human) cell models. Our greater goal is to explore new directions using innovative and state-of-the-art approaches in neuroscience research that contribute to our understanding of brain disease. You will work at the department of Functional Genomics, at the Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (www.cncr.nl ) of Vrije Universiteit and Amsterdam UMC. Your own research program at VU complements, connects to and synergizes with existing research in the department and center. We have significant infrastructure and operating funds available.
- develop an innovative, independent research program, resulting in impactful scientific publications in influential peer-reviewed journals
- support your research program with external funding
- supervise graduate students
- contribute to undergraduate teaching at bachelor and master level
- contribute to the scientific quality and an inspiring, collaborative atmosphere at the institute
We are seeking a candidate with the following qualities and requirements:
- a completed PhD in molecular/cellular neurobiology or related field
- at least three years of postdoctoral research experience, outside the institute where you obtained your PhD degree
- the potential to excel as team leader of an independent research group, demonstrated by a strong publication record and ability to acquire external research funding
- a strong passion for neuroscience and brain disease
- a collaborative attitude
- a proven ability for academic supervision and training of students.
- you have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO), or are willing to obtain one
- English language proficiency at CEFR C1/C2 level
An opportunity to establish your own research group in a stimulating and supportive environment where scientific excellence and team science go hand-in-hand. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,974 (scale 11) and a maximum of €5,439 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.84-1 FTE (32-38 hours a week).
We are offering this position as a career track. The employment contract will initially be for a period of 18 months as a tenure track. After 15 months your performance will be evaluated in terms of quality of teaching, research and collaboration. After a successful evaluation, you will receive permanent employment and a path for your further academic development will be established through the career track agreement.
The department offers start-up funding to appoint a PhD-student or post-doc dedicated to work with you.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- the possibility to partially work hybrid
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter up and until July 14th, 2023. The following supporting documents are required (please submit as single pdf):
- a cover letter
- curriculum vitae, incl. publication list with first/last author papers separated from collaborative work
- a concise description of your plan for the direction of your research (max 2 A4)
- the names and contact information of three referees
When short-listed for the position, you will be invited for an in-person interview and presentation in the last quarter of 2023 Target start date: end of 2023, beginning of 2024.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: prof. Matthijs Verhage
Position: Head of the department of Functional Genomics
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone number: + 31 20 5985037
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Postal Code
- De Boelelaan 1105
Where to apply
De Boelelaan 1105
- Postal Code
Aurora Administrative Officer, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam The Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is one of the 13 research intensive universities in the Netherlands, fully committed to contribute to a better world through outstandi...
International Officer, Staff Support, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 16 days ago
Do you have experience with supporting internationals coming to the Netherlands, and would you like to work in a multidisciplinary team of professionals in an international academic environment? D...
International Officer, Staff Support, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 18 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a un...
Aurora Administrative Officer, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Aurora looks for an adminstrative officer Would you like to work in a close-knit team for a network of excellent and engaged universities? Does administrative and secretarial work in a multicultur...
Research Technician In Microbial/Molecular Ecology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
The Systems Ecology section at the Amsterdam Institute for Life and Environment (A-LIFE) at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is accepting applications for a tenured full-time research technician posit...
Assistant Professor Of Arabic, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
The Faculty of Religion and Theology (FRT) at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) invites applicants for assistant professor position in Arabic language, affiliated with the Centre for Islamic T...