16 Sep 2023
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
1 Dec 2023 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Institute of Physics (IoP) at the University of Amsterdam is looking to expand the research cluster of experimental condensed matter physics. As a member of the Institute you will develop your own research line that compliments and strengthens the current research efforts in the cluster. Diversity is an explicit aim of the university, with a priority for gender balance. We strongly encourage women and members of minority groups to apply. The appointment is expected to be at the level of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor. For candidates with exceptional scientific track record and earning potential, hiring at the full professor level can be discussed.
The Institute of Physics is situated in the Amsterdam Science Park and is surrounded by several national research centers and institutes. Combined, this conglomerate is the largest concentration of physics research activities in the Netherlands.
This position is embedded in the Quantum Materials (QM) cluster within IoP, which offers a broad palette of experimental facilities ranging from in-house single crystal growth and characterization tools to quantum transport, state-of-the-art optical & electron spectroscopy and nanophotonics. QM’s current research topics are centered around topological and 2D quantum materials, high temperature superconductivity, oxide electronics, as well as opto-electronic and photo-voltaic properties of nanomaterials. A number of QM staff are also embedded as research group leaders within the national research center ARCNL , whose program tackles the scientific and technical challenges connected to cutting-edge EUV nanolithography together with globally leading industry partner ASML. Furthermore, we have close ties to the national research institute AMOLF .
What are you going to do?
You will join the Quantum Materials (QM) cluster at the Institute of Physics of the University of Amsterdam. With your hiring, we specifically aim to enhance the application-oriented profile of the Quantum Materials cluster. Research lines with strong potential for new collaborations within QM and its affiliated groups are of particular interest.
You are expected to contribute to education within the Bachelor’s and Master’s programs in Physics and Astronomy, both offered as joint degree programs by the University of Amsterdam and the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. In the Master’s program, the tracks Advanced Matter and Energy Physics and Theoretical Physics are most relevant to the fields of study of the new hire. Moreover, there are opportunities to teach in the programs Medical Natural Sciences as well as Science, Business and Innovation taught currently at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Science, Innovation & Technology program at the University of Amsterdam, and/or the Liberal Arts and Sciences program at the Amsterdam University College.
- a PhD degree in physics or materials science
- displayed the ability and capacity to develop vigorous programs of funded research, in which successful fund-
raising from more applied channels is an advantage
- experience with fostering collaborations
- well-developed mentoring and supervisory skills in the setting of a team of professionals
- teaching experience at university level and demonstrable didactic abilities, as well as willingness to acquire the basic teaching qualification (BKO) demanded by all Dutch universities
Start dates are negotiable. The positions will be filled at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor, or in exceptional cases of Full professor, depending on qualifications. The starting salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience and qualifications. It will range from a minimum of € 4,332 gross per month up to a maximum of € 6,737 gross per month (Assistant Professor, salary scale 11-12) or € 6,002 gross per month up to a maximum of € 8,025 gross per month (Associate Professor, salary scale 13-14), based on full-time employment. This is excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Appointments on the basis of a tenure track will initially be on a temporary basis for a period of six years, with up to three assessment interviews during this period. In the case of a tenure track appointment, the position will become permanent after three years with promotion to a higher position if the candidate is successful. Criteria that have to be met include success in research, in acquisition of funds and in education. Details of the criteria will be mutually agreed upon before the appointment.
A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Universities of the Netherlands is applicable.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- a complete educational program for PhD students;
- multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- partly paid parental leave;
- the possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- a pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- the possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you’re moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here .
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the button below. We accept applications until and including 01 December 2023.
Applications should include the following information (all files besides your cv should be submitted in one single pdf file):
- a motivation letter including why this position sparks your interest (max 1 A4)
- a research statement describing your proposed research program and how it connects to local and national research landscape (max 3xA4)
- a teaching statement (max 2xA4) expressing your approach to undergraduate and graduate teaching
- a curriculum vitae, including names and contact info of three referees
- list of peer-reviewed publications
We plan to send out the invitations for interviews (which will begin in February 2024) before the end of December 2023.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Prof. Daniel Bonn, email: [email protected]
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Faculty of Science
- Postal Code
- Science Park 904
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Communications Coordinator At The Amsterdam Sustainability Institute, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam About the Amsterdam Sustainability Institute The Amsterdam Sustainability Institute is VU Amsterdam's interdisciplinary research institute that focuses on sustainabili...
Group Leader In Quantum Optics Theory , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Would you like to be part of an innovative and inspiring organization? At QuTech, we are looking for a Principal Investigator in quantum optics theory. We are looking for an excellent theoretical ...
Student Assistant For Sector Plan Sustainable Global Economic Law Project , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Scope of the job: 11,4 hours Salary indication: €2.618 to €2.846 gross salary per month, based on 38 hours per week At Sustainable Global Economic Law, we b...
Software Engineering Education Technical Coordinator, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Faculty of Science The University of Amsterdam is the Netherlands' largest university, offering the widest range of academic programmes. At the UvA, 30,000 students, 6,000 staff members and 3,000...
Student Assistant For Sector Plan Sustainable Global Economic Law Project , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 5 days ago
At Sustainable Global Economic Law, we believe that you can’t address climate change without also examining inequalities. We are a group of law researchers who focusing on financial systems, econo...
Student Assistent Video Production, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam About VU Centre for Teaching & Learning 'Connecting through Education' is the driving force behind the VU-CTL, the centre of expertise for sharing knowledge, ideas and...