Assistant or Associate Professor of Computational Biology
Assistant or Associate Professor of Computational Biology
We are looking for a faculty member in Computational Biology who will complement and strengthen research, teaching and management at the Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences institute, Faculty of Science (RIMLS-Science), and who will be embedded in the department of Molecular Developmental Biology. Candidates at different seniority and career stages are encouraged to apply, preference will be given to appointment at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank.
We see opportunities for computational biology research in the areas of (single cell) multi-omics, systems and quantitative biology, as well as for computational method development in these areas. Other potential areas of interest include computational aspects of single molecule imaging, spatial transcriptomics, metabolomics, chemical biology, and applications of artificial intelligence and deep learning.
You will strengthen the excellent international scientific profile of RIMLS-Science and its central mission of studying molecular mechanisms of disease. You will establish collaborations within RIMLS-Science, with the Faculty of Science and the Radboud university medical centre, and with other national and international institutes.
You will play your part in the organisation and management activities related to RIMLS-Science's research and education programmes. Together with a colleague, you will also take responsibility for supervising RIMLS-Science's bioinformatics support team.
- max. 40 hours per week
- €3974—€7362 per month
- Nijmegen View on Google Maps
- You are a computational biologist with a track-record of innovative and impactful science, as evidenced by high-quality publications and/or the development of scientific software.
- You are an enthusiastic, creative and team science-minded scientist and lecturer who wants to conduct research in computational biology or data science with relevance to health and disease.
- You have an evident passion for teaching and are willing to contribute to our institute's educational programmes.
- You have the ambition to become a successful research group leader with good managerial and communication skills and an open attitude.
- You have clear ideas about how to acquire external funding for your research.
- You are eager to collaborate and participate in projects of a multidisciplinary nature.
- You are interested in the industrial or societal application of your research.
- You are keen to contribute to our state-of-the art, English taught Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes.
- You have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ, or an equivalent qualification), or you are willing to work towards obtaining such a qualification. Experience in different teaching activities and an affinity with teaching innovation would be an advantage.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months. Upon a positive performance evaluation at the end of this period, the contract may be converted into a permanent one.
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- Depending on your scientific track record and experience you will be appointed as an Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, potentially with career track criteria for future promotion.
- For an Assistant Professor the gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,974 and a maximum of €6,181 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 or 12 ).
- For an Associate Professor the gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €5,506 and a maximum of €7,362 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 13 or 14 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months. Upon a positive performance evaluation at the end of this period, the contract may be converted into a permanent one.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
The RIMLS is a leading interfaculty research institute of the Faculties of Science (FNWI) and Medicine (Radboudumc) at Radboud University. Research areas of the RIMLS-Science institute (embedded within RIMLS but affiliated to the Faculty of Science) include epigenetics, stem cell and developmental biology, cancer biology and inflammation, and computational biology. The central research theme is regulation of gene expression during development and in health and disease. Important technologies that are used include (single cell) multi-omics analyses, proteomics, super resolution microscopy, single molecule biophysics and computational biology. For this, RIMLS operates its own high-end facilities. Our fundamental and applied research in medical biology and molecular life sciences has clear connections to other institutes of the Faculty of Science as well as to more clinically oriented research programmes at departments within the Radboud university medical center.
RIMLS is significantly involved in teaching activities at Radboud University, including courses in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology, Genomics and Big Data within the curriculum of the Bachelor's degree programme in Biology. Furthermore, RIMLS coordinates the Master's track specialisation in Medical Epigenomics, in which Computation for Biologists is one of the core courses. Our institute also offers internships to Bachelor's and Master's students.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
For questions about the position, please contact Prof.dr. Gert Jan Veenstra, head of the department of Molecular Developmental Biology at email@example.com . Alternatively, you can contact Dr. Rosemary Yu, Assistant Professor at firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all.
You have a part to play!
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Radboud University). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
You can apply until 23 October 2022, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. Gert Jan Veenstra. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
- A selection of 3-5 of your most significant publications with brief descriptions.
- A research statement, including a description of how your research will align with RIMLS-Science's research programme (max. one A4 page).
- A teaching statement (max. one A4 page).
The first round of interviews will take place on 22 and 23 November.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Assistant Professor Of Public Management , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 3,974 - € 5,439 Required background PhD Organizational unit Nijmegen School of Management Application deadline 01 January 2023 Apply now Are you an ...
Assistant Professor Of English Linguistics , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Employment 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 3,974 - € 6,181 Required background PhD Organizational unit Faculty of Arts Application deadline 09 January 2023 Apply now Are you a productive and active...
Staff Scientist In Focused Ultrasound Stimulation At The Donders Centre For Cognition , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 3,974 - € 5,439 Required background PhD Organizational unit Faculty of Social Sciences Application deadline 07 December 2022 Apply now Do you want t...
Professor Of Philosophy Of The Humanities , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Employment 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 6,099 - € 8,881 Required background PhD Organizational unit Faculty of Arts Application deadline 11 December 2022 Apply now Are you a current or aspiring ...
Associate Professor Of Sustainable Value Chain Management , Radboud University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 5,506 - € 6,702 Required background PhD Organizational unit Nijmegen School of Management Application deadline 27 November 2022 Apply now Are you an...
Research Technician Molecular And Stem Cell Biology , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 24 days ago
Would you like to see cells go through the first stages of embryonic development? Do you enjoy testing and setting up new protocols in the lab? Would you like to apply your molecular biology and c...