2-year Postdoc in Brain-inspired Inhibition in Deep Learning for image analysis (222547)
- « Back to the overview
One of the main challenges in learning algorithms for vision applications is the determination of computational models that can generalize beyond the training distribution and that are robust to adversarial attacks. This will be the focus of the two-year postdoc position.
The selected candidate will be enrolled with the Information Systems group, University of Groningen, and will collaborate with ongoing PhD students on the above-mentioned topic. The ideal candidate must have a solid foundation in developing deep learning architectures for vision applications and a proven record of publishing high-quality papers.
In this position the candidate will:
- investigate the embedding of brain-inspired inhibition components in various deep learning architectures for deep hashing (retrieval), classification and segmentation problems
- develop and evaluate methodologies of inhibition-augmented deep architectures
- collaborate with the 4 ongoing PhD projects working on first-person vision, medical, forensic and radio astronomy image analysis.
The objective of this temporary position is the production of a number of research articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals and conference proceedings.
The successful candidate should:
- have a keen interest in pursuing fundamental research in deep learning with a focus on brain-inspired methodologies
- have a PhD degree in computer science, artificial intelligence or another relevant field
- have proven experience in building deep learning architectures with Python for computer vision problems
- have proven track record in publishing high quality peer reviewed papers
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- possess good analytical skills and a positive attitude towards collaborating with PhD students.
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
The selected candidate will be embedded in the group Information Systems, of the Computer Science department, Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science, and Artificial Intelligence, Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Groningen.
Conditions of employment
We offer you, following the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary of € 2,960 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 4,670 gross per month (salary scale 10) in the fourth and final year for a full-time working week
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
- a full-time position (1.0 FTE). The successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another one year. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the objectives within the next year is to be expected.
Applications should include:
- letter of motivation
- CV (including contact information for at least two academic references)
- transcripts from your bachelor’s and master’s degree
- certificate of the PhD degree.
You can submit your application until 2 October 11:59pm / before 3 October 2022 midnight Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications received before 3 October 2022 will be given full consideration; however, the position will remain open until it is filled.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Dr George Azzopardi, email@example.com
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
- dr. George Azzopardi
Post Doc In Employee Wellbeing And/Or Team Functioning (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 27 days ago
Post-doc in employee wellbeing and/or team functioning (1.0 FTE) Post-doc in employee wellbeing and/or team functioning (1.0 FTE) Published Deadline Location 2 Sep 2 Oct Groningen Are you an exper...
Post Doc: How Do The Senses Affect Visual And Temporal Perception? (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Post-doc: How do the senses affect visual and temporal perception? (1.0 FTE) Post-doc: How do the senses affect visual and temporal perception? (1.0 FTE) Published Deadline Location today 12 Oct G...
Post Doc In Mathematical Analysis (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 5 days ago
The University of Groningen offers, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities: - a salary from a minimum of € 3.557 (salary scale 10.4) gross per month for a full-t...
Researcher Acceptability Of Low Energy Demand Scenarios (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 4 days ago
The Environmental Psychology group at the University of Groningen invites applications for a researcher position (9 months). The aim of the project is to investigate the acceptability of low energ...
Postdoc The Right To Housing, Vulnerability And Social Inequality (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 25 days ago
The Postdoctoral researcher (with a two-year appointment for 1.0 FTE) will focus on analysing the housing market and social inequalities from a human rights perspective. Housing and social inequal...
Postdoctoral Position In Protein Design In The Hebrew University Of Jerusalem, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, 18 days ago
Postdoctoral position in Protein Engineering If you are an enthusiastic, committed and responsible student with a love for science and if you are looking for an opportunity to develop novel therap...