Research Associate (Postdoc) in SDN/NFV for Quantum Communications Infrastructure Networks
(Valid from 04/10/2022 to 06/12/2022)
Language: English (UK)
Organisation Interdisciplinary Centre of Security, Reliability and Trust
Job Number: UOL05167
Contract Fixed Term Contract
Duration 24 Month
Schedule Full Time
Work Hours 40.0 Hours per Week
Job Postdoctoral researcher
About the SnT…
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT), University of Luxembourg, invites applications from highly motivated and
outstanding researchers in the broad area of software-defined networks (SDN) to work with the Signal Processing and Communications (SIGCOM) research
group. SnT carries out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial,
governmental, or international partners. For further information, you may refer to www.securityandtrust.lu
The SIGCOM research group is headed by Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas, and mainly carries out research activities in the areas of signal processing for
wireless communication systems, including satellite communications, and is currently expanding its research activities towards quantum information
systems. Furthermore, our activities are experimentally driven and supported by the SDR CommLab, the SDN Lab, the 5G-Space Lab, our SW Simulators, and
our OTA Facilities. For further information, you may refer to https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom
The successful candidate will primarily contribute to the large EU research project Lux4QCI – Luxembourg Experimental Network for Quantum Communication
Infrastructure). The project is part of the Digital Europe Program (DIGITAL) and aims to deliver the first experimental quantum communication
infrastructure (QCI) network in Luxembourg. A distinctive feature is the by-design integration between the terrestrial and the satellite segment. Lux4QCI
envisions making Luxembourg a QCI front-runner and a hub for secure key distribution across the EU. To achieve those goals, Lux4QCI will identify use
cases of interest for application scenarios of quantum key-distribution (QKD)-enhanced secure communications. The intended QCI will be nationally
deployed through multiple terrestrial optical fibres running hundreds of kilometers and interconnecting at least 5 points of presence. The network will
rely on a hybrid configuration combining multiple QKD technologies over a range of multihop topologies (e.g. star, serial, and tree). The intended
architecture contains an orchestrator collocated with a node. The orchestrator consists of a network manager with SDN/network-function virtualisation
(NFV) algorithms for flow management/routing, a quantum key-distribution network (QKDN) controller, which performs routing control of key relay, and a
QKDN manager, which monitors the status of the QKDN and assists the key management system (KMS) for key-management operations.
We are looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you have come to the
In summary, the position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
* Contribute to all relevant aspects related to the design, development, and deployment of the SDN/NFV-based orchestrator for the Lux4QCI project
* Analyse interfaces for Lux4QCI integration into operational networks
* Integrate SDN/NFV capabilities into the Lux4QCI architecture
* Develop SDN flow management algorithms for both intra-domain and inter-domain key routing
* Develop NFVs for joint key storage management and key routing within the Lux4QCI orchestrator
* Contribute to the security analysis of the SDN signalling channels/SDN signalling through QKD-secured data streams
* Develop and test a Lux4QCI network and system-level simulator, including:
* Open-Flow-enabled network simulation through Mininet
* SDN-based flow management algorithms and NFV infrastructure within the orchestrator
* SDN controllers at the nodes’ interface with the intended secure KMS
* Contribute to the SDN Lab, with its network virtualization testbed for validation of new autonomous network-slicing algorithms and their performance
evaluation in integrated terrestrial-satellite systems
* Disseminate results through scientific publications and conferences
* Contribute to different research projects, either coordinating technical contributions and/or preparing project deliverables
* Prepare new research proposals to attract industrial, national, and European projects
* Provide assistance in the supervision of PhD students
* A PhD degree in Telecommunication Engineering, or Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science/Engineering with a focus on SDN
* Sound publication track record in relevant international conferences and top journals
* Expertise on SDN and NFV management and orchestration (MANO)
* Expertise on SDN controllers such as ONOS, Ryu, OpenDayLight
* Proved/strong experience in experimental works with Mininet, MANO platforms (e.g. OSM)
* Proved/strong implementation/deployment experience in network slicing and related tools (e.g. OpenStack)
* Strong programming skills in MATLAB, Python, or C++
* Experience of working with industrial projects or public funded research projects is highly desirable
* Highly committed, excellent team-worker, and strong critical thinking
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
* Background in quantum communications, especially QKD, will be considered as an asset
Here’s what awaits you at SnT…
* Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite,
or help make autonomous vehicles even better
* The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than
45 industry partners
* Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking
activities and more
Find out more about us!
* Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month (which may be extended up to five years)
* Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
* Location: Kirchberg
* Job Reference: UOL05167
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 77.167,08 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications in English should include:
* Curriculum Vitae with:
* Contact address
* For each degree received or currently enrolled in, provide the degree, institution name, institution city and country, and start date and date
(or expected date) of graduation
* Include the title and short summary of your PhD Thesis and supervisor name (and Bachelor / Master Thesis if you did one)
* If you do not have yet received your PhD but will do soon, please include a tentative graduation date
* List of publications (authors, title, journal/conference name and date of publication). Provide a link in case of open access
* Name, affiliation and contact details of three referees
* Cover letter with motivations and topics of particular interest to the candidate (approx. 1 page)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system.
Applications by Email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to
gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg…
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was
founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary
centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial
Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data
Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its
“international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact: Dr Wallace ALVESMARTINS (email@example.com )
Apply here https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?ID=PSAFK026203F3VBQB7V7VV4I3&nPostingTargetId=115159&nPostingId=76416
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Springer Nature Limited does not accept liability for any statements
made which are clearly the sender’s own and not expressly made on behalf of
Springer Nature Ltd or one of their agents.
Please note that Springer Nature Limited and their agents and affiliates do not
accept any responsibility for viruses or malware that may be contained in this
e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any).
Springer Nature Limited. Registered office: The Campus, 4 Crinan Street, London,
N1 9XW. Registered Number: 00785998 England.
Research Associate (Postdoc) In Sdn/Nfv, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
The SIGCOM research group is headed by Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas, and mainly carries out research activities in the areas of signal processing for wireless communication systems, including satellit...
Lab Technician In Neuroimmunology Specialized In Crispr Cas9 Technology, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of ...
Scienteens Lab Team Member For Physics Outreach, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 4 days ago
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 s...
Research Associate (Postdoc) In Metasurfaces And Phase Arrays Antenna Design For Millimeter Wave Applications, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from highly motivated and outstanding researchers in the general area of antenna and metasurfaces design...
Associate Professor Position (Promotion Track) In Neuroimmunology With A Focus On Neuroinflammation , University of Luxembourg ;, Luxembourg, 7 days ago
The University | About us... The University of Luxembourg aspires to be a world-class research university. It strives for excellence in both fundamental and applied research, and in education. It ...
Research Associate (Postdoc) In 3 D Computer Vision, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
Applications, written in English should be submitted online and should include: Curriculum Vitae (including your contact address, work experience, publications, etc.) Contact information for 3 ref...