Research Associate (Postdoc) in RIS (Reflective Intelligent Surfaces) and Phase Arrays Antenna Design for Millimeter-wave Applications
(Valid from 04/01/2023 to 08/03/2023)
Language: English (UK)
Organisation Interdisciplinary Centre of Security, Reliability and Trust
Job Number: UOL05355
Contract Fixed Term Contract
Duration 24 Month
Schedule Full Time
Work Hours 40.0 Hours per Week
Job Postdoctoral researcher
About the SnT…
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from highly motivated and outstanding researchers in the
general area of antenna and Reflective Intelligent Surfaces design within its Signal Processing and Communications (SIGCOM) research group. SnT carries
out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable, and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental, or
international partners. For further information, you may refer to www.securityandtrust.lu
The research group focuses on wireless/satellite communications and networking and is headed by Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas. The research areas focus on the
formulation, modeling, design, and analysis of future 5G and beyond communication networks that are capable of supporting new services in a
cost-efficient manner. Use cases of interest include IoT verticals, unmanned aerial vehicles, integrated satellite-space-terrestrial networks, quantum
communications and key distribution, spectrum management and coexistence, tactile Internet, and autonomous transportation. As far as technical enablers
are concerned, we leverage expertise on massive MIMO cell-free communications, smart-radio environments through the use of intelligent surfaces,
machine-type and ultra-reliable and low-latency communications, edge computing and caching, RAN slicing, and network softwarization and visualization.
Finally, due to the large-scale nature, complexity, and heterogeneity of 5G and beyond networks, for their analysis and optimization, we use tools such
as artificial intelligence/machine learning, graph theory and graph-signal processing, and convex/non-convex optimization. Furthermore, our
activities are experimentally driven and supported by the SDR CommLab, the SDN Lab, the 5G-Space Lab, our SW Simulators, and our Facilities. For further
information, you may refer to https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the
The successful candidate will contribute to a Horizon SNS project on 6G with the main topic on Reflective Intelligent Surfaces (RIS) for Terahertz
applications that will start on 01/01/2023. In addition, the candidate will have to contribute to ongoing, and future research projects, mainly in the
field of antenna design and manufacturing focused on phase array design and additive manufacturing.
In summary, the position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
* Investigation and analyzing mathematical models for the design of RIS for millimeter-wave applications
* Investigating, analyzing, designing, and prototyping phased array antennas for micro and millimeter-wave applications
* Investigating using different additive manufacturing techniques for antenna implementation
* Investigating efficient artificial intelligence (AI)-based solutions to tackle the main challenges in phase arrays design for millimeter-wave
* Disseminating results through scientific publications and conferences
* The candidate is expected to actively contribute to the different research projects at SnT, either coordinating technical contributions and/or
preparing project deliverables
* Preparing new research proposals to attract industrial, national, and European projects
* Providing assistance in the supervision of Ph.D. students
* A Ph.D. degree in Telecommunication Engineering or Electrical Engineering, focused on RIS and phase arrays antenna design
* International postdoc experience is desirable
* Sound publication track record in relevant international conferences and top journals in the following research areas (at least one IEEE Transaction
publication is mandatory):
* Planar periodic structures or metasurfaces for micro and millimeter-wave applications
* Phase array design and simulation for micro and millimeter wave applications
* Experience with optimization tools and typical convexification strategies
* Experience with machine learning and artificial intelligence is highly desirable
* Strong design skills in CST Microwave Studio, Advance Design System (ADS), and High-Frequency Simulations Software (HFSS) design tools are mandatory
* Experience in MEEP programming is desirable but not mandatory
* Strong programming skills in MATLAB. Python, JULIA, and C++ are desirable but not mandatory
* Experience in working with industrial projects or publicly funded research projects is highly desirable
* Highly committed, excellent team worker, and strong critical thinking skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Here’s what awaits you at SnT…
* Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite,
or help make autonomous vehicles even better
* The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than
55 industry partners
* Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking
activities and more
Find out more about us!
* Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month (which may be extended up to five years)
* Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
* Location: Kirchberg
* Job Reference: UOL05355
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 77167 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications in English should include:
* Curriculum Vitae, including:
* Contact address
* For each degree received or currently enrolled in, provide the degree, institution name, institution city and country, and start date and date
(or expected date) of graduation
* Include the title and summary of your Ph.D. Thesis and supervisor name (and Bachelor / Master Thesis if you did one)
* If you do not have yet received your Ph.D. but will do soon, please include a tentative graduation date.
* List of publications (authors, title, journal/conference name, and date of publication). Provide a link in case of open access
* Name, affiliation, and contact details of three referees
* Cover letter with motivations and topics of particular interest to the candidate (approx. 1 page)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system.
Applications by Email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to
gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg…
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was
founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary
centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial
Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data
Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its
“international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact: Dr. Juan A. Vásquez-Peralvo (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Apply here https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?ID=PSAFK026203F3VBQB7V7VV4I3&nPostingTargetId=118839&nPostingId=78876
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Springer Nature Limited does not accept liability for any statements
made which are clearly the sender’s own and not expressly made on behalf of
Springer Nature Ltd or one of their agents.
Please note that Springer Nature Limited and their agents and affiliates do not
accept any responsibility for viruses or malware that may be contained in this
e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any).
Springer Nature Limited. Registered office: The Campus, 4 Crinan Street, London,
N1 9XW. Registered Number: 00785998 England.
Research Associate In 6 G Communications Networks, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through...
Hr Generalist (F/M) Part Time (20h/Week) Ref: 23 09, Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research, Luxembourg, about 21 hours ago
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER) is recruiting an HR Generalist (f/m) - part-time (20h/week) • Ref: 23-09 • Fixed-term working contract until December 31st, 2023 • Part-...
Intern In The Field Of Demographics And Spatial Analysis (F/M) Ref: 23 13, Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research, Luxembourg, about 21 hours ago
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER) is recruiting an intern in the field of demographics and spatial analysis (f/m) • Ref: 23-13 • Starting date: May/June 2023 • 3 months f...
R&D Specialist For Mfn Group, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) is an interdisciplinary research centre of the University of Luxembourg. We conduct fundamental and translational research in the field of Syst...
Research Associate (Postdoc) In Road And Rail Communications, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 s...
Radio Frequency Payload Engineer , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Vacancy in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality. ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working env...