Research Associate (Postdoc) in Control of Satellite Formations and Space Systems
(Valid from 19/01/2023 to 23/03/2023)
Language: English (UK)
Organisation Interdisciplinary Centre of Security, Reliability and Trust
Job Number: UOL05150
Contract Fixed Term Contract
Duration 24 Month
Schedule Full Time
Work Hours 40.0 Hours per Week
Job Postdoctoral researcher
About the SnT…
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from PhD holders in the general area of control engineering
for satellites and space systems within its Automation & Robotics Research Group (ARG). SnT is carrying out interdisciplinary research in secure,
reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners. For further
information you may check: www.securityandtrust.lu
The SnT Automation & Robotics Research Group is a strong and motivated research team led by Prof. Holger Voos. The group focuses on perception and
control for autonomous vehicles and robots, including unmanned aerial vehicles, service robots, satellites and spacecraft or automated and autonomous
cars. Herein, solutions are developed that combine conventional control approaches with methods from artificial intelligence or machine learning, please
see also: http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/automation_robotics_research_group
The successful candidate will contribute to new control solutions for satellites and space systems with a main focus on a national research project in
collaboration with LuxSpace Sàrl (https://www.luxspace.lu/ ), a member of the network of OHB companies. This project aims at the development of novel
sensing and control approaches to enable a higher degree of autonomy for microsatellites in constellations and for the distributed control of autonomous
formation flight of microsatellites. Together with LuxSpace, the research results will be implemented in a development tool and tested using suitable
multi-satellite test scenarios. In addition, the candidate will also be involved in other research projects related to the control of spacecraft and
space robots. In general, the candidate is expected to perform the following tasks:
* Contribute to the national project “AuFoSat – Development Tool for Autonomous Constellation and Formation Control of Microsatellites” in close
collaboration with the partner LuxSpace. Further information about the project is available at:
* Carry out research in the areas of sensing and control for satellites, spacecraft and space robots, especially using model predictive control,
distributed and networked control as well as intelligent control (incl. machine learning and AI)
* Coordinating research projects and preparing project deliverables
* Disseminating results through scientific publications and conferences
* Preparing new research proposals to attract industrial, national and European projects
* Providing assistance in the supervision of PhD students
* A PhD degree in Space or Aerospace Engineering, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics, or a closely related field, with a main
focus on Control Engineering for Space Systems.
* At least 3 published journal papers in top 10% international journals of the field, and/or a strong experimentation background and experience of
working in industries or university laboratories
* Sound publication track-record in one or some of the following areas: control of satellites, spacecraft or space robots (especially model predictive,
nonlinear, distributed and/or stochastic control), optimization and machine learning, observer design and estimation, modelling of space systems.
* Development skills in MATLAB/Simulink and C / C++ and Python. Additional experience with STK (Systems Tool Kit) or similar tools would be an asset.
* Highly committed, excellent team-worker, and strong critical thinking skills
* Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
* Experience in management of research projects is a plus
Here’s what awaits you at SnT…
* Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite,
or help make autonomous vehicles even better
* The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than
45 industry partners
* Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking
activities and more
Find out more about us!
* Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month (extendable up to 60 months in total)
* Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
* Location: Kirchberg
* Job Reference: UOL05150
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 77167 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications should include:
* Full Curriculum Vitae (including your contact address, work experience, publications)
* Cover letter indicating the research area of interest and your motivation
* A research statement (max 1 page)
* Contact information for 3 referees
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by Email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to
gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg…
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was
founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary
centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial
Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data
Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its
“international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact us at email@example.com
Apply here https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?ID=PSAFK026203F3VBQB7V7VV4I3&nPostingTargetId=119482&nPostingId=76177
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Springer Nature Limited does not accept liability for any statements
made which are clearly the sender’s own and not expressly made on behalf of
Springer Nature Ltd or one of their agents.
Please note that Springer Nature Limited and their agents and affiliates do not
accept any responsibility for viruses or malware that may be contained in this
e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any).
Springer Nature Limited. Registered office: The Campus, 4 Crinan Street, London,
N1 9XW. Registered Number: 00785998 England.
Research Associate In 6 G Communications Networks, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, about 3 hours ago
SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through...
Export Control Legal Officer , European Space Agency, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Vacancy in the Directorate of European, Legal and International Matters. ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive wor...
Senior Aitv Engineer , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Vacancy in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality. ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working env...
Young Graduate Trainee In Galileo System Integration And Verification , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Young Graduate Opportunity in the Directorate of Navigation ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environmen...
Software Engineer, SRON, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
You and SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research It is the mission of SRON to bring about breakthroughs in international space research. Therefore, the institute develops pioneering technolog...
Young Graduate Trainee In Ground Stations Operational Test And Validation Engineering , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Young Graduate Opportunity in the Directorate of Operations ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environmen...