Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You‘d like to contribute as research support contributor? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department of LIST is focusing on pressing environmental challenges our society is facing today. Embedded in the department’s Environmental Sensing and Modelling (ENVISION) unit, the ‘Remote sensing and natural resources modelling’ group is carrying out impact-driven research, geared towards monitoring and predicting environmental systems in a changing world. Our research group capitalizes on a blend of remote sensing data obtained from space- and air-borne platforms, as well as in-situ data measured with Internet of Things (IoT) devices, for producing information on the status of natural resources. Our research and development activities focus on the synergistic use, processing, and interpretation of data from multiple complementary active and passive sensors installed on both space- and airborne platforms. We rely on competences in environmental sciences, such as hydrology and hydraulics, meteorology, plant physiology, and geography for monitoring variations in Earth’s biotic and abiotic resources. We integrate remotely sensed information with in-situ data, process-based models and leverage satellite communication, IoT and machine learning technologies in order to provide evidence-based decision support tools in near real time across a variety of thematic domains: disaster risk reduction, precision agriculture/viticulture/forestry, preservation and management of natural resources, maritime surveillance.
To strengthen its activities in disaster risk reduction, LIST is offering a fixed-term position for a researcher in hydrologic and hydraulic modelling. With global change increasingly triggering hydro-climatological extremes, we aim at developing and improving satellite EO-based tools for monitoring and predicting natural disasters at various scales with a special focus on Luxembourg and the Greater Region.
You will be involved in two research, development, and innovation projects: in the framework of the CRAKE project a flood risk assessment study will be carried out for Luxembourgish floodplains based on the outputs of regional climate models. In the framework of the FNR-funded GRASS project satellite Earth Observation-based soil moisture and water storage estimates will be used to reduce the predictive uncertainties of a regional drought early warning system.
How will you contribute?
In the framework of these two RDI projects, you will contribute by:
- Setting up and calibrating the 2D hydraulic model LISFLOOD for estimating the extent and duration of flooding in the project’s pilot area,
- Contributing to the calibration of a spatially distributed conceptual hydrological model used for computing drought indices and estimating inflows toward the investigated floodplains,
- Applying a reference period, as well as near future and mid-term scenarios, as expressions of boundary conditions for the coupled hydrological and hydraulic model,
- Comparing model results and analysing simulated changes in the flood hazard,
- Applying and developing methodologies enabling an effective integration of multi-source satellite EO data and in situ measured data into hydrologic and hydraulic models,
- Contributing to the scientific and technical content of project reports,
- Disseminating and publishing the results of your research in top ranked scientific journals and international conferences.
Must have requirements
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold or are about to complete a PhD within 6 months after the start of the contract in Hydrology, Hydraulics, Civil or Environmental Engineering with a special focus on flood inundation modelling.
Additionally, you have:
- Advanced knowledge in hydraulic modelling, in particular 2D flood inundation modelling
- Advanced knowledge in flood hazard and risk assessment
- Knowledge in hydrologic modelling
- Prior experience with practical implementation of hydrologic/hydraulic models at various scales is preferred
- Experience with satellite Earth Observation data is an asset
- Excellent programming skills (e.g., Python or R.)
- Very good communication skills in presenting scientific research, and writing papers in scientific journals, technical reports, and proposals
- Communicative and willing to learn, self-organized, and creative.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in an international team across the ENVISIONRDI unit.
On top of that, you also have an excellent command in English (oral and written).
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A CV (which includes lists of publications and secured fundings);
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- Contact details of three referees.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
English Read C1 Write C1 Speak C1
Minimum required education
Required work experience in years
1 or more years.
Postdoctoral Researcher On Decision Support For Flood Risk Reduction, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, 18 days ago
Postdoctoral Researcher on Decision Support for Flood Risk Reduction Postdoctoral Researcher on Decision Support for Flood Risk Reduction Published Deadline Location today 5 Apr Enschede Job descr...
Postdoctoral Fellow Position, Department Of Hydraulic And Ocean Engineering, NATIONAL CHENG KUNG UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) seeks applicants for one postdoctoral fellow position in the Department of Hydraulic and Ocean Engineering, which has outstanding computational resources and ...
Postdoctoral Researcher On Decision Support For Flood Risk Reduction, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Vacancies Postdoctoral Researcher on Decision Support for Flood Risk Reduction Key takeaways You will work in a team at the Centre for Disaster Resilience (CDR) of the ITC Faculty on the societal ...
Post Doctoral Fellow, Rock Fluid Interactions, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Position Overview KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on a funded project to investigate the rock fluid interactions via experiments (such as core flooding, SEM imagi...
Postdoc Position For The Pandemic And Disaster Preparedness Centre, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 14 days ago
The Ethics and Philosophy of Technology (EPT) section is looking for a postdoc who will conduct research in the ethics of pandemic and disaster. This is a 4-year fulltime position consisting of 80...
Fully Funded Ph D Researcher In Neighborhoods And Health (F/M/D) Ref: 23 08, Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research, Luxembourg, about 7 hours ago
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER) is recruiting a Fully Funded PhD Researcher in Neighborhoods and Health (f/m/d) • Ref: 23-08 • Fixed-term working contract for 36 months...