Established in 1946, the American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of the world's largest behavioral and social science research and evaluation organizations. Our mission is to generate and use rigorous evidence that contributes to a better, more equitable world. AIR works with federal, state, and local government agencies, philanthropies and other organizations to conduct research and evaluation and provide technical assistance in the areas of education, health and workforce development, in the U.S. and abroad.
AIR's International Development Program seeks to enhance the capacity of people in developing countries to improve their quality of life through education and social development. We have worked in collaboration with local and international stakeholders in more than 80 countries over the past three decades.
AIR is seeking an experienced Finance and Administration Manager for an anticipated five-year USAID Liberia Transforming the Education System for Teachers and Students (TESTS) activity.
USAID Liberia aims to improve the quality of targeted Liberian Early Childhood Education (ECE) and primary teachers’ instructional delivery. Its purpose is to (1) strengthen the capacity of selected public, private and faith-based institutions to train teachers so that they are capable of delivering quality instructions; (2) build critical skills for quality teaching; and (3) improve the enabling environment for teaching practice.
The position will be full-time and will be based in Monrovia, Liberia with occasional travel throughout the country.
The Finance and Administration Manager has primary responsibility for overall financial management and administration of the activity, and will be responsible for management of all accounting and sub-grants and ensure financial operations are in compliance with USAID rules and regulations. Responsibilities include:
- Manage administrative and accounting staff and oversee finance and accounting procedures in the Monrovia project office, and ensure that the project meets donor/contract compliance
- Analyze and monitor the project’s financial performance and budget on an ongoing basis, and develop and maintain appropriate systems and cost-effective, timely procedures and controls such as cash management, vendor payments, and budgeting to properly disburse, account, budget, and report funds
- Reconcile project accounting and provide back-up documentation of all financial transactions into monthly accounting package to AIR’s home office on a monthly basis
- Produce accurate and timely financial reports and prepare financial analyses and forecasts, identify areas of budgetary concerns, and process monthly payroll and corresponding deductions required for income tax withholding, social security
- Remit employer’s and employees’ payments to appropriate local agencies (Social Security Administration, Tax Department) in accordance with local law
- Maintain a log of all amounts paid for social security and tax purposes by employee and by month clearly indicating employer and employee contributions
- Monitor and disburse payments for office lease and local vendors, disbursing payments upon approval of the Chief of Party and home office
- Review local consultant and staff expense reports for compliance with USAID regulations and authorized expenditures
- Oversee Monrovia office facilities including rents, lease agreements, security, office utilities and management of relationships with landlords and service providers
- Oversee regional and international travel and transportation requirements and arrangements
- Manage procurement of goods and services for the project, ensuring compliance with USAID regulations
- In collaboration with home office Human Capital, identify, select, manage performance of, and mentor finance and administrative staff ensuring professional growth and development as well as capacity building
- Maintain individual personnel records with contracts, detailed scopes of work, salary histories, etc. for local employees
- Oversee sub-grantees/sub-contractors ensuring adherence to donor, organizational, and host country policies and build capacity of local organizations to become successful and sustainable quality service providers
- Protect the organization’s resources and assets and ensure efficient usage in accordance with project goals, and manage funds at local bank account and approve expenditures in accordance with IMPAQ and donor procedures, cost principles, and regulations
- Oversee full-cycle recruitment functions for the project, ensuring compliance with USAID rules and regulations
- Establish information technology systems and operational facilities to support project staff and programming
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to members of senior management team
- At minimum 7 years’ professional experience in administrative and sound financial management of large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs
- Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field
- Experience building and maintaining working relations with project staff and external stakeholders, and demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively interface (and represent IMPAQ) with donor agency counterparts, government officials, partner organizations, and other stakeholders
- Strong computer skills in accounting software systems and Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to work well independently with limited supervision
- Strong track record of progressively more responsible duties and responsibilities, including project management on USAID-funded programs/activities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on work related matters
- Proven ability to influence others through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills
- Deep familiarity with Liberian culture, society, and development context or that of other similar countries in the region
- Excellent oral, written, teamwork, and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to productively interact with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, private sector, NGOs, implementing partners and other donors)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Liberian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Executive Director Military Hiv Research Program, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 3 hours ago
Description Join the HJF Team ! HJF is seeking a Executive Director to support the US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. HJF provides scientific, technical an...
Project Manager In Research, Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, Spain, 27 days ago
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), a cutting-edge research center based in Barcelona, is looking for a Project Manager in Research. We have an exciting full-time, development op...
Program Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, 5 days ago
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits . This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who w...
Director Of Major Gifts, University of Maryland University College, United States, about 14 hours ago
Director of Major Gifts Office of Institutional Advancement Exempt, Regular, Full Time, Pay Grade 2.3 University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is seeking a Director of Major Gifts. The Director...
Finance Manager (Admin Cluster), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 24 hours ago
Finance Manager (Admin Cluster) - 00DPR Description Provide financial guidance and operational accounting support to NUS's Administrative departments. Duties and Responsibilities Key contact perso...
Research Administration Business Partner (M/F), Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology, Luxembourg, 4 days ago
Within the MRT department, the main duties of the Project Management - Business Partner are to: Support the Principal Investigators (PI) in the submission and management of their research projects...