The Human Technopole Foundation is looking for the Senior Manager of Computational Genomics – Genomics Facility:
The successful candidate will report directly to the Head of the Genomics Research Centre.
They will be responsible for supervising a team that will set up and maintain state-of-the-art computational workflows for genome, transcriptome and epigenome sequencing data catering to the needs of all Research Centres of Human Technopole. A key mission will be to oversee the delivery of computational analyses for large-scale and single-cell multi-omics projects, including through bespoke collaborations with the Institute’s Research Centres. They will also be expected to contribute to the development of new methods and the rapid standardization/implementation of new computational approaches for emerging technologies. They will be involved in the recruitment, training and mentoring of facility staff. Reproducibility and robustness of bioinformatics analyses will be at the core of this role.
Key tasks and responsibilities
The Senior Manager of Computational Genomics – Genomics Facility will:
- Coordinate and maintain the bioinformatics analysis infrastructure to process whole-genome, whole-exome, transcriptome and epigenome sequencing data, including at single cell resolution.
- Be responsible for implementing priorities and resource planning for the Computational Genomics Facility;
- Help select, lead and mentor junior staff;
- Implement reproducible and robust computational genomics workflows and pipelines based on workflow languages (i.e. Nextflow, Snakemake) and software containers (i.e. OCI, dockers, singularity) in concert with the Genomics User Group;
- Implement workflows to ensure quality control and visualization tools for fast data assessment;
- Integrate computational genomics workflows with HT sample tracking infrastructure
- Forecast computational needs for the facility and coordinate planning with core IT teams;
- Communicate with the core HPC and IT teams to design informatics architecture for pipelines;
- Supervise collection and evaluation and quality control of genomic datasets;
- Cooperate with the institute’s research groups to implement analysis for novel technologies;
- Work closely with the High-Throughput Sequencing and Single Cell Multiomic branches of the Genomics Facility to organize samples’ metadata and process newly generated data
- Ensure that the genomics computational research support is world-class;
- Manage funding and access charges with periodic review to ensure sustainability and competitiveness;
- Constantly optimise computational workflows and maximise cost-effectiveness;
- Closely follow technological developments that could benefit the facility;
- Advise IT services to meet facility and user requirements;
- Prepare for facility reviews by external experts;
- Participate actively in the overall development of HT core facilities;
- Report regularly on progress to the genomics user group and its chair;
- Build effective links and collaborations within HT;
- Develop links with other national and international genomics facilities;
- Support third-party fundraising where possible;
- Participate to bioinformatics training programmes of the institute.
- +5 years experience leading a team overseeing analysis of high-throughput sequencing data, including short-read but also ideally long-read technologies;
- PhD or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject, e.g. computational sciences, physics, engineering or a related field of science;
- Previous experience in managerial role in a computational genomics team;
- Documented experience with setting up computational workflows for genomic data analysis, including robust standard operating procedures for quality assurance;
- Documented experience in delivery of large-scale genomic projects;
- Excellent computational skills and trouble-shooting;
- HPC and Unix systems savvy;
- Ability to interact effectively with other teams and work synergistically to drive projects forward;
- Meticulous organization;
- Fluency in English – HT is an international research institute;
- Proven leadership, communication, team building and problem-solving skills.
The Senior Manager of Computational Genomics – Genomics Facility will be based in Milan.
HT offers a highly collaborative, international culture. The working language at HT will be English. HT will foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups with access to outstanding graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and core facilities.
HT is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a leading, internationally competitive, research organisation and seeks to promote a collegial and open atmosphere. The compensation package granted will be internationally competitive and comprise pension scheme, medical and other social benefits, as well the financial support for relocation and installation, including the family.
Please apply by sending:
i) a CV
ii) a motivation letter in English
iii) a written outline (max. 8 pages long) of how you plan to set-up, manage and continuously develop the Facility, on the basis of the vision and needs specified in the call
iv) names and contacts of 2 referees.
General enquires concerning the role should be sent to genomics-facility">mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">genomics-facility @fht.org. Applications should not be sent to this address.
Computational Biologist (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 8 days ago
The Leibniz Institute for Zoo and Wildlife Research (IZW) in Berlin is Germany’s premier wildlife research institute, one of seven research institutes in the Forschungsverbund Berlin e. V., a memb...
Research Technician , Centre for Genomic Regulation, Spain, 1 day ago
The Institute The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. T...
Research Laboratory Coordinator – Vib Ku Leuven Laboratory For Integrative Genomics, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
The Laboratory for Integrative Cancer Genomics (https://demeulemeesterlab.sites.vib.be/en is looking for a full-time, motivated and technology driven Research Laboratory Coordinator to lead its ...
Research Associate In The Division Of Science, Biology Dr. Piergiorgio Percipalle, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
Description The Percipalle Laboratory in the Division of Science, New York University Abu Dhabi, wishes to appoint a Research Associate or Research Scientist, depending upon experience. The Perci...
Senior Research Scientist In The Division Of Science, Biology, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 25 days ago
Description The Laboratory of Algal, Systems, and Synthetic Biology in the Division of Science, New York University Abu Dhabi, seeks to recruit a Senior Research Scientist to work on a large-scale...
Assistant Director (Job Id: 43969), University of Louisville, United States, about 2 hours ago
Job ID: 43969 Location: Biochemistry Minimum Qualifications Master's degree in a related field and three or more years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and work exp...