Yehuda Elkana Center for Higher Education
Open for Employee Referral
Open until filled
As soon as possible
Application deadline: 15 February 2021 (open until filled)
Central European University invites applications for the position of a Senior Program Manager for a one-year period (with a possibility of extension based on the availability of external Manager). The candidate will manage the Threatened Scholars Integration Initiative – a program managed by CEU on behalf of the Open Society University Network (OSUN), of which CEU is a co-founder and core member. The position is hosted by CEU’s Yehuda Elkana Center for Higher Education (YECHE). OSUN Threatened Scholars Integration Initiative aims to bring scholars at risk of persecution, war, or other life- and work-threatening circumstances to OSUN institutions and programs as beneficiaries, academic collaborators, and intellectual leaders in teaching, research, public engagement, and advocacy. OSUN supports residential placements and virtual affiliations with both specific institutions and OSUN cross-institutional projects.
Overall: Management of activities related to CEU’s leading role in the Threatened Scholars Integration Initiative (TSI) of the Open Society University Network
Specific: Supporting the OSUN Management Committee, Co-Directors of TSI, CEU academic units and OSUN university partners in the design and implementation of the Threatened Scholars Integration Initiative through:
- Managing a multi-campus team of TSI staff (initially at CEU/Vienna, Austria, Bard College/Annandale, NY, USA and Bard College Berlin/Germany) towards building a coherent and effective program coordination and implementation;
- TSI Strategic Planning: development and drafting of TSI implementation strategy, ensuring inclusive consultation and engagement of relevant CEU members and OSUN partners in the process;
- Managing grant funding allocated for TSI implementation to CEU;
- Establishing close communication and collaboration with the external partners of TSI (notably SAR, SRF, CARA, PSI), especially on channeling the Fellows’ nomination, vetting and placement practicalities;
- Managing the meetings and engagement of the TSI Advisory Committee in the Fellowship formulation and selection process and TSI activities;
- Development of TSI budgetary documents and guidelines;
- Development of TSI Fellowship calls;
- Managing recruitment, selection, vetting and placement of Fellows across OSUN;
- Drafting of funding proposals;
- Development of periodic reports to OSUN Management Committee, partners, donors and public;
- Close coordination with the OSUN Secretariat to ensure integration of TSI within OSUN’s programs, particularly through placement of non-residential Fellows;
- Communicating TSI priorities, plans, milestones and opportunities to CEU community, OSUN partners and wider public;
- Developing close familiarity with CEU’s units and OSUN partner universities and their capacity, priorities and practical issues of placement of Threatened Scholars (Fellows); maintaining regular contact with partners to advance collaboration;
- Mapping and maintaining an up-to-date record of CEU’s engagement and potential interests in TSI activities, including potential to host TSI Fellows;
- Maintaining regular contact with the TSI Fellows and with relevant OSUN academic projects on their progress and needs;
- Design and organization of TSI events, including summer schools for Fellows, roundtables and partner meetings, Advisory Committee meetings, etc.;
- Representing TSI at OSUN management meetings, preparing relevant data and materials and coordinating with contributing TSI partners;
- Development and implementation of TSI communication strategy;
- Holding biweekly coordination meetings (calls) with TSI Directors and Coordinators (agenda setting, meeting management, follow-up).
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Graduate degree in the social sciences, humanities, law, human rights or related fields;
- At least five years of experience managing higher education or academic outreach programs or civil society organizations with focus on human rights, development of critical thinking, international development, network-building and partnerships between government, educational, research and civil society organizations;
- Expert understanding of the concepts of open society, academic freedom, dissent and free expression in academia in authoritarian contexts and exposure of scholars, academics and students to risks and threats in these contexts, and principles and challenges of rescue, protection and building resilience and career pathways of scholars at risk;
- Record of research and writing on the issues above and/or experience in advocacy and public engagement will be an asset;
- Excellent communication skills, fluency in written and spoken English, and ability to communicate in an academic setting in at least one more language;
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills, initiative, creativity and flexibility will be key to building successful partnerships and TSI program portfolio.
We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, as well as a dynamic and international academic environment. The initial contract is for one year with the possibility of renewal based on the availability of external funding.
How to apply
To apply for the position, please submit:
- An up-to-date CV with names and contact information of two references
- A short (up to 500 words) motivation letter highlighting your relevant experience and ambitions and explaining interest in the position
- A recent writing sample in English that best represents your interests and experience in the area of the program
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal interview.
Informal inquiries can be addressed to: Oleksandr Shtokvych, Head of OSUN Secretariat at CEU and TSI Co-Director, at email@example.com .
Interested candidates should send their complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org - including job code in subject line: 2021/004
Employee Referral Program application:
If one of our employees have drawn your attention to this job opportunity, please apply via this email address, and mention our colleague in the cover letter: advert004Referral@ceu.edu - including job code in the subject line: 2021/004.
OSUN is a global university network, anchored by Central European University and Bard College, that integrates learning and the advancement of knowledge across geographic and demographic boundaries, promotes civic engagement to foster open societies, and expansion of access to higher education for underserved communities.
For more information, please visit https://opensocietyuniversitynetwork.org
Central European University does not discriminate on the basis of—including, but not limited to—race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, gender and sexual orientation in administering its educational policies, admissions policies, employment, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
Central European University (CEU) is a research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences, humanities, law, public policy and management. It is accredited in the United States, Austria and Hungary. CEU's mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, research-based teaching and learning and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies. CEU offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs and enrolls more than 1,400 students from over 100 countries. The teaching staff consists of resident faculty from over 50 countries and prominent visiting scholars from around the world. The language of instruction is English.
For more information, please visit https://www.ceu.edu/ .
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
The privacy of your personal information is very important to us. We collect, use, and store your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the applicable data privacy rules, including specifically the General Data Protection Regulation. To learn more about how we manage your personal data during the recruitment process, please see our Privacy Notice at: https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice (Hungary: Közép-európai Egyetem, Central European University) or https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice-austria (Austria: Central European University, CEU Central European University Private University).
Rector , Central European University ;, Hungary, 25 days ago
Central European University (CEU), a private, English-speaking, singularly international, and research-intensive university, in Vienna, Austria and Budapest, Hungary, seeks a Rector. CEU was found...
Food Process And Product Scientist, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Non-University Vacancy Location: Off Campus Closing Date: Monday 08 February 2021 Reference: TIEKTP0001 This opportunity is not at the University of Lincoln, but at one of our international pa...
Technical Skills Instructor, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 3 hours ago
Working in the School of Mechanical, Automotive and Aerospace Engineering, you will be committed to contributing to our continued success in delivery of engineering programmes. You will join a Sch...
Principal Investigator In Digital Health Technology (M/F/D), Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Digital Health and Prevention, Austria, 28 days ago
The vision of our international interdisciplinary research team at the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Digital Health and Prevention in Salzburg, Austria, (https://dhp.lbg.ac.at ) is to provide soc...
Professorship (W3) In Sociology With A Focus On Europe (Reference Number W1830), Saarland University, Germany, 28 days ago
Saarland University’s unique Franco-German roots and its special location close to Germany’s borders with France, Luxembourg and Belgium give the university a genuinely European dimension, with Eu...
Campania Terra Del Buono – Titolato: “Valutazione Di Nuovi Mediatori Dell'interazione Tumore Stroma..., CNR - IEOS, Italy, 28 days ago
a) Degree in Biology, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technologies, Pharmacy, Biotechnology, obtained according to the legislation in force prior to the D.M. 509/99, o...