Junior Visiting Researcher - Doctoral Candidate 1 – EUTERPE: European Literatures and Gender from a Transnational Perspective
Department of Gender Studies
Application deadline date:
March 1, 2023
Starting date :
September 1, 2023
The Department of Gender Studies at Central European University (CEU, Austria) invites applications for a 36-month fixed-term position as Doctoral Candidate (DC) in Gender Studies to research and write a PhD thesis within the area “Transnational turn in literary studies: Looking from Central and Eastern Europe” and simultaneously to work on the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Doctoral Network project “EUTERPE: European Literatures and Gender from a Transnational Perspective”.
We welcome applications from candidates with a Master’s degree, a demonstrable interest and experience in gender studies, English language skills, a willingness to undertake two months of guided internship at an Associate Partner of the DC's choice, as well as a willingness to spend a period of 6 months on secondment at the University of Oviedo (Spain).
Your main responsibilities:
The successful candidate for this post will research “Transnational turn in literary studies: Looking from Central and Eastern Europe” as part of WP 1 (Transnational turn in literary studies: Looking from Central and Eastern Europe). The Doctoral Candidate will be employed by and enrolled on a PhD at CEU for 36 months from 1st September 2023. The name of the position in the employment contract according to the Academic Staff Handbook of the CEU will be Junior Visiting Researcher.
Applicants are requested to design a PhD research project engaging with the following:
larger questions of transnational feminist literary theory with an aim to explore impacts of transnational turn upon methods of literary interpretation (narrative methods, close and distant reading, content analyses). The research will focus in particular on specific problems of traveling concepts and traveling theories; problems of studying identities in literary texts; questions of multilingualism and literary translations.
The aim of this research is to systematize the main theoretical approaches to transnationalism in literary studies and to bring them into dialogue with theoretical and conceptual gender analyses, thus building the framework for a new approach in feminist literary theory. This line of research is directly related to one of the main impact outputs of this project, the Dictionary of Transnational Women’s Literature in Europe and will facilitate the structuring of the Dictionary’s theoretical and conceptual frame.
As a part of their research training, all applicants will have the following duties:
- Collectively with the other Doctoral Candidates participate in the EUTERPE Transnational Literary Research Laboratory creating the content of the Dictionary/Catalogue/Podcast Library following the Doctoral Candidate’s chosen track of contribution.
- Enroll as PhD students in respective PhD programs with the university, which is recruiting them; for this post it is PhD in Comparative Gender Studies at CEU PU. They have to fulfill all the requirements of the program and work towards the completion of their PhD thesis within the deadline set by the university.
- Spend a compulsory secondment period of 6 months at the University of Oveido (Spain) during the second year of their tenure. During this period they will receive further research training and will conduct comparative research.
- Undertake two months of guided internship with a EUTERPE Associate Partner that works on a field relevant to the Doctoral Candidate's expertise.
- Work closely with their employability mentor in the development of a bespoke Employability Enhancement Plan.
- Attend the project-wide training events including 4 education events in the form of summer and spring schools.
- Participate in the EUTERPE Final conference and promotion of the Dictionary of Transnational Women’s Literature in Europe, the Digital Catalogue and Podcast Library in Vienna in the fall of 2026.
- Contribute to the final project report in the summer of 2026.
Applications are accepted from candidates with an MA or equivalent degree from Literary Studies, Gender Studies, Cultural Studies and related disciplines of the Humanities. The priority will be given to candidates with a background and proven interest in transnational literary studies and in gender studies, with a strong emphasis on theory.
The applicant has to fulfill CEU requirements for language proficiency (http://www.ceu.edu/node/13737 )
Students enrolled in a doctoral program at CEU must not be simultaneously enrolled in other institutions of higher education, and are required, at the beginning of their studies at CEU, to sign a declaration to this effect.
Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions – Doctoral Network (MSCA DN) requirements:
Applicants should not have been awarded a doctorate at the time of their recruitment.
They must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before their recruitment date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account. More detailed explanation of these eligibility conditions can be found here: European Charter for Researchers | EURAXESS (europa.eu)
Each Doctoral Candidate will receive a 36-month contract to cover the following:
- Annual gross salary: 41,162 EUR (paid in 14 installments)
- Mobility allowance: € 600/month (paid 12 times per year)
- Family allowance: (if applicable): € 660/month (paid 12 times per year)
The contract is for a fixed-term (1 September 2023 – 31 August 2026), 36 months for the duration of the HORIZON-MSCA-2021-DN. “EUTERPE: European Literatures and Gender in Transnational Perspective”.
How to apply
Applicants need to submit:
- filled out application form, (the application form can be downloaded from the Euraxess job advert)
- cover letter (not exceeding 500 words),
- reference letters from two academic and one non-academic referees, submitted by the referees,
- 1000-word research proposal on the proposed PhD research,
- Completer official master’s transcript and master’s diploma. The transcript and the diploma should be issued in English by your university/college or translated by the issuing institution or a registered translator. In either case, it must bear the stamp and signature of an official of the institution or the translator.
- proof of language proficiency according to the recruiting university’s requirements (https://www.ceu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/checklist ),
- (optional) an academic writing sample.
Short-listed candidates will be invited to participate in online interviews, and will be subject to pre-employment checks prior to any appointment.
Please send your complete application package to: email@example.com – including the job code in the subject line: 2023/013.
Further inquiries may be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The recruitment strategy will be in line with the recommendations in the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. The process will adhere to OTM-R (open, transparent, and merit-based recruitment of researchers) practices.
CEU is strongly committed to the promotion of gender equality and equal opportunities within our institution. Previous training, work experience and/or engagement with matters of equality, diversity and inclusion at the organizational level will be an asset.
Central European University does not discriminate on the basis of—including, but not limited to—race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, gender and sexual orientation in administering its educational policies, admissions policies, employment, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
Central European University (CEU) is a research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences, humanities, law, public policy and management. It is accredited in the United States, Austria and Hungary. CEU's mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, research-based teaching and learning and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies. CEU offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs and enrolls more than 1,400 students from over 100 countries. The teaching staff consists of resident faculty from over 50 countries and prominent visiting scholars from around the world. The language of instruction is English.
For more information, please visit https://www.ceu.edu/ .
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
The privacy of your personal information is very important to us. We collect, use, and store your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the applicable data privacy rules, including specifically the General Data Protection Regulation. To learn more about how we manage your personal data during the recruitment process, please see our Privacy Notice at: https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice (Hungary: Közép-európai Egyetem, Central European University) or https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice-austria (Austria: Central European University, CEU Central European University Private University).
Ph D Researcher In The Fields Of Literary Studies And Business Economics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 17 days ago
The doctoral researcher will work on the analysis of literary texts published collaboratively through crowdfunding campaigns and will study to what extent the sharing economy enhances the circulat...
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship In Afrodiasporic Literature And Music , University of Oslo, Norway, about 4 hours ago
15th May 2023 Languages English English English Department of Literature, Area Studies and European Languages Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Afrodiasporic Literature and Music Apply for this ...
Ph D Researcher In Comparative Literature, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 18 days ago
The doctoral researcher will work on the analysis of literary texts written collaboratively by migrants and other authors with different linguistic and cultural backgrounds, with a particular focu...
Researcher Ii In The Field Of Thin Film High Entropy Materials Deposition And Analysis, MASARYK UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Department: Department of Physical Electronics – Faculty of Science Deadline: 23 Mar 2023 Start date: by agreement Job type: full-time Job field: Science and research Bursar of the Faculty of Sci...
Researcher Ii In The Field Of Thin Film High Entropy Materials Deposition And Analysis , Masaryk University, Czech, 1 day ago
Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position RESEARCHER II in the field of thin film-high entropy materials deposition and analysis Workplace...
Postdoctoral Researcher To Focus On The Influence Of The Purāṇas On The Literary And Material Cultur, Leiden University, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Postdoctoral Researcher to focus on the influence of the Purāṇas on the literary and material cultur Postdoctoral Researcher to focus on the influence of the Purāṇas on the literary and material c...