The Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH (WZB Berlin Social Science Centre), research group “Globalization, Work and Production” seeks to hire a
Research Coordinator/Project Manager (f/m/d)
for an appointment starting as soon as possible until July 2022 (extension possible). The appointment is made at 100% of the regular working hours (currently 39 hours/week).
The research fellow will work for the Fairwork Secretariat at the WZB. The Fairwork Secretariat is a joint project of the Oxford Internet Institute and the WZB, led by professor Mark Graham (University of Oxford) and professor Martin Krzywdzinski (WZB). Fairwork is an action-research project that studies the gig economy in order to develop fairness ratings for digital platforms, that are used as a lever to improve working conditions. It currently operates in Brazil, Bangladesh, Chile, Ecuador, Egypt, Germany, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, South Africa, and the UK. The primary aims of this position will be to coordinate the international network of Fairwork research and researchers in collaboration with the project leaders.
The tasks of the post holderinclude in particular:
- Co-designing an annual research strategy and project plans
- Coordinating and monitoring the project activities, timelines and budgets
- Collaborating in the preparation of research publications, chapters, summaries, and reports; managing the workflow of collaborative publications
- Managing data repositories across the project and ensure ethical and legal compliance
- Collaborating in the preparation and management of grant applications
- Coordinating the Fairwork project expansion to further countries; coaching and monitoring the Fairwork research activities abroad; assisting with the supervision of project researchers external to the WZB
- Outreach and liaising with external partners and stakeholders; cooperating with relevant stakeholders to ensure effective and efficient implementation of the project
- Disseminating findings in the media
- Managing project databases
- Organising the annual Fairwork symposium
The Fairwork Secretariat sits at the nexus of three research clusters in Oxford and Berlin that focus on the future of work. The Oxford Internet Institute is home to over a dozen researchers studying digital transformations and what they mean for work and workers. The WZB GAP group comprises a number of researchers focusing on the digitalization of work, including research on platforms, automation, and artificial intelligence. The work at the Fairwork Secretariat will also involve cooperation with the Berlin-based Weizenbaum Institute for the Networked Society. The tasks requires in this role will involve close cooperation between the Berlin- and Oxford-based teams, including joint research activities, workshops and conferences, as well as publications. There will be regular travel opportunities to facilitate collaboration between the Oxford- and Berlin-based teams, and the opportunity to conduct fieldwork in partner countries.
We welcome applications from both postdoctoral researchers with experience in project management, and from applicants with a strong professional experience and expertise in the management and coordination of research projects. Applicants are expected to be qualified to the level of a Masters degree or higher.
- A relevant graduate degree in sociology, geography, anthropology, economics, development studies, or related fields
- A high level of project management experience, from early stage all the way through to realisation, preferably in international research projects and activities
- A high level of project administration experience, including experience in writing research funding bids, raising sponsorship, budget tracking, and reporting of complex projects
- Professional experience in managing a diverse team; strong interpersonal skills
- Professional experience in interacting effectively and closely with a wide range of people, including influential people
- Experience in working autonomously with a high degree of motivation and initiative
- Preferably experience working in research projects in a relevant subject area to Fairwork
- Preferably experience with managing publication processes
- Excellent English and preferably good German skills (written and oral)
- Preferably language competencies in languages spoken in any of the Fairwork partner countries (e.g., Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Mandarin)
- Knowledge of issues impacting on precarious and insecure workers, and a demonstrable commitment to working towards the empowerment of workers, and to equality and inclusion
- Enthusiasm to work in a diverse and international team
Salary for the position: up to EG 14 TVöD Bund (Yearly gross income between 55,000 and 64,000 Euros, depending on qualification and work experience).
The position will be filled subject to funding approval. Applications from equally qualified people living with a disability will be given preference. We value diversity and welcome all applications – regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity. The WZB expressly encourages women and people with a migrant background to submit an application.
Candidates are requested the application (cover letter, CV, if applicable publications list, certificates/references and other) by 1 December 2020. Please send your application by email (one pdf-file) to:
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB), Sonata Cepik, bewerbungen-gap(at)wzb.eu , with “Coordinator Fairwork” in the subject line.
Bruno Trentin And Europe In A Changing World. From The National Secretariat Of The Cgil To The..., Università degli Studi della Tuscia, Italy, 9 days ago
The research program aims to reconstruct the political action of Bruno Trentin from the National Secretariat of the CGIL (1988-1994) to the election to the European Parliament (1999-2004). In an i...
Department Of Political And Social Sciences Otto Suhr Institute Of Political Science University Professor Of Comparative Political Science With A Focus On Politics And Society In Africa Salary Grade: W2 Fixed Term Appointment (Five Years), With Tenure Track W3 Reference Code: W2 Tenure W3 Afrika Bewerbungsende: 11.02.2021, Free University of Berlin, Germany, about 7 hours ago
The successful applicant will cover the area named above in research and teaching. Appointment requirements are governed by Article 100 of the Berlin Higher Education Act (Berliner Hochschulgesetz...
Universitätsbibliothek: Center Für Digitale Systeme (Ce Di S)Software Developer (M/F/D) For Learning Analytics Based Digital Learning Systems In The Bmbf Funded Project „Technology For Competence (Tech4comp)“ 80% Part Time Job Limited To 31.03.2022 Entgeltgruppe 13 Tv L Fu Reference Code: Ce Di S Tech4comp 2020 04 (Englisch) Bewerbungsende: 01.02.2021, Free University of Berlin, Germany, about 7 hours ago
As an institution of the university library the “Center for Digital Systems (CeDiS)” supports all faculties and institutions of Freie Universität Berlin in media and technology enhanced learning, ...
Temporal Dynamics, Uncertainty And Resilience Of Pond Ecosystems In Response To Climate Change, KU Leuven, Belgium, 10 days ago
The project’s overarching aim is to develop improved methods for maximising the use of ponds and pondscapes in climate change adaptation and mitigation, biodiversity conservation and the delivery ...
Postdoctorial Researcher (M/F/D), Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF), Germany, 5 days ago
The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver economically, environmentally and socially ...
Senior Program Manager, Osun Threatened Scholars Integration Initiative, Central European University, Hungary, about 20 hours ago
Position: Staff Location: Vienna Status: Full-time Unit: Yehuda Elkana Center for Higher Education E-mail: email@example.com Open for Employee Referral Application deadline: Open until filled Star...