The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with more than 800 employees and research institutions in seven federal states. The Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (SBiK-F) explores the interactions between biodiversity, climate, and society.
The Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre in Frankfrut am Main invites applications for aPostdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) in Quantitative Movement Ecology (full-time position)
We are seeking a candidate (m/f/d) with a strong background in quantitative movement ecology to advance understanding of connectivity for land mammals in the Anthropocene. The PostDoc (m/f/d) will work in the project “Landscape Criticality in the Anthropocene - Biodiversity, Renewables and Settlements” (CriticaL), a scientific collaboration between the Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (SBiK-F), the Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development, and the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.
The project aims to provide a systematic and generalized assessment of ecological connectivity at the global scale. To quantify critical thresholds at which landscapes become impermeable to animal movement, the successful candidate will perform comparative assessments across taxa based on multi-species GPS tracking data of terrestrial mammals. This will also include collaborations with colleagues of the Global Initiative on Ungulate Migrations (https://www.cms.int/en/gium ) and at Radboud University.
We expect applicants (m/f/d) to be highly motivated to work collaboratively and interdisciplinary in large research teams to co-develop novel measures and global mappings of landscape connectivity. We expect strong quantitative and conceptual skills, and an interest in understanding underlying drivers of animal movements in relation to human activity and land use. The project leaves significant room to develop your own research questions in collaboration with a large international and interdisciplinary research team at SBiK-F and beyond.
- Quantify the effect of landscape connectivity on terrestrial mammal movements and elucidate the underlying drivers
- Co-develop novel landscape connectivity measures at the global scale
- Lead publications of findings in scientific journals
- Contribute to the project team’s effort to translate the project’s findings into actionable recommendations for integrated land use planning and conservation strategies
- A PhD degree in Ecology, Geography, or a related field
- Outstanding conceptual and writing skills
- Strong quantitative and statistical skills, including advanced programming skills in R and programming of large databases
- Experience working with movement data and performing spatial analyses
- Excellent communication skills and experience in and enthusiasm for collaborating across institutions and coordinating interdisciplinary and collaborative research projects
- Demonstrated record of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Experience in app development and/or artificial intelligence (AI) applications is an advantage
What is awaiting you?
- Flexible working hours – leave of absence due to family reasons (audit “berufundfamilie”) – parent-child-office – annual special payment – company pension scheme – Senckenberg badge for free entry in museums in Frankfurt – leave of 30 days/year
Contract start is as soon as possible, limited for 3 years, salary: according to the collective agreement of the State of Hesse (pay grade E 13, TV-H).
Senckenberg is committed to diversity. We benefit from the different expertise, perspectives and personalities of our staff and welcome every application from qualified candidates, irrespective of age, gender, ethnic or cultural origin, religion and ideology, sexual orientation and identity or disability. Women are particularly encouraged to apply, as they are underrepresented in the field of this position and will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
Applicants with disabilities (“Schwerbehinderung”) will be given preferential consideration in case of equal suitability. Senckenberg actively supports the compatibility of work and family and places great emphasis on an equal and inclusive work culture.
You would like to apply?
Then please send your complete and informative application documents (as a single PDF-file):
- a cover letter detailing research interests and experience
- a detailed CV
- copy of your transcripts / academic certification
- contact details of two potential academic referees
- copies of up to three representative publications
by June 25, 2023 to recruiting(at)senckenberg.de , quoting the reference number #11-23006, or please apply directly on our homepage using the online application form: Apply Online | Senckenberg Society for Nature Research .
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt a.M.
For scientific enquiries please contact Prof. Dr. Thomas Müller by e-mail: thomas.mueller(at)senckenberg.de .
For more information about the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung, please visit www.senckenberg.de .
Postdoctoral Position (M/F/D) Grasslands And Livestock , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 17 hours ago
Direkt zum Inhalt springen Login Register | Support Help Documentation Suche de | en MyTUM-Portal Technical University of Munich Technical University of Munich Home News News Calendar Calendar Impo...
Post Doctoral Fellow In Earth Observation Of Vegetation Fires, Lunds universitet, Sweden, about 11 hours ago
23 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Lunds universitet Department Lunds universitet, Institutionen för naturgeografi och ekosystemvetenskap Research Field Environmental science » Globa...
Post Doctoral Fellow In Earth Observation Of Vegetation Fires (Pa2023/2974) , University of Lund, Sweden, about 6 hours ago
Wildfire frequency and severity is expected to increase in the future due to anthropogenic climate change. With the combined effects of climate change, an increasing human population and the assoc...
Director Of The Institute Of Dendrology, Polish Academy Of Sciences, Invites Applicants For The Position Of Post Doc At The Department Of Ecology, Institute of Dendrology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, 6 days ago
19 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Institute of Dendrology, Polish Academy of Sciences Department Department of Ecology Research Field Biological sciences » Biology Researcher Profil...
Post Doc In Community & Network Ecology 80 100% (F/M/D), Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL, Switzerland, 7 days ago
15 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL Research Field Environmental science » Ecology Researcher Profile Recognised Re...
Researcher (Climate Adaptation) Manaaki Whenua, Manaaki Whenua, New Zealand, about 3 hours ago
Researcher (Climate adaptation) We are looking for an enthusiastic Landscape Scientist to undertake research to understand how terrestrial landscapes can support climate adaptation in New Zealand ...