Carbon utilization technologies are rapidly developing fields of electro-catalysis. Their main focus is lowering the carbon footprint, by utilizing the excess atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2), through power-to-fuel conversions. The development of liquid-fed electrolyzers is a newly found aspect of CO2-utilisation. Using a capture-solution as CO2-source, we seek to develop efficient single-cell electrolyzers. The focus of this Master thesis will be the development of catalysts/catalyst-layers and the determination of their activity for the CO2 electroreduction in a liquid-fed electrolyzer. Analysis of the catalyst layers, using microscopy techniques, will help us comprehend the material’s structure and its alterations throughout the reaction time. Additional physico-chemical characterizations will be used to describe the catalyst’s structure and correlate it with its properties. Your tasks include:
- Synthesis and fabrication of catalyst layer
- Characterization of synthesised catalyst/catalyst-layer
- Evaluation of CO2-reduction activity of the fabricated MEAs
- Electrochemical characterisation of the fabricated catalyst layers
- Stability tracking of the MEAs and recording the degradation process of the catalyst
- Current Master studies with excellent marks in Material Science, Physics, Engineering or Chemistry
- Basic knowledge of electrochemistry and inorganic chemistry
- Laboratory experience
- Willingness to learn and ability to think outside of the box
- Excellent cooperation, communication and team-work abilities
- Independent, self-motivated and responsible
- Excellent English skills are mandatory; fluency in German is advantageous
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- An interesting and socially relevant topic for your thesis with future-oriented themes
- Ideal conditions for gaining practical experience alongside your studies
- An interdisciplinary collaboration in an international, committed and collegial team
- Well-equipped laboratories and state-of-the-art research in one of the largest research centers in Europe
- Qualified support through your scientific colleagues
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- The opportunity for a PhD position at the IEK-14 might be offered to you following your Master thesis with sufficient skills and available job funding provided
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Joint Computational Experimental Design Of Solid Photo(Electro)Catalysts For Waste Co2 Mediated Aromatic Molecule Carboxylation, Center National de la Recherche Scientifique, France, 30 days ago
9 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Center National de la Recherche Scientifique Research Field Chemistry Technology » Materials technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2...
Project Manager For Research On Microbial Co2 To Protein Conversion, Aarhus University, Denmark, 8 days ago
Are you interested in working at the interface between microbiology, biochemistry, and microbial biotechnology, and want to contribute to developing a game-changing biological CO2 to protein proce...
Research Engineer, Membranes, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Job Description Fabricate membranes for gas and liquid separation; Evaluating membranes under practical working conditions for CO2-capture and liquid hydrocarbon related applications. Job Requirem...
Doctoral Project Opportunity Corrosion Resistant Coatings For Pem Electrolysis, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 16 hours ago
Your Job: The main objective of the project is the development of affordable, long-term stable corrosion resistant coatings especially for the anode side of the PEM electrolysis. To achieve this a...
Study Of Intermetallic Catalysts For The Co2 Methanation., Università degli Studi di Genova, Italy, 29 days ago
10 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Università degli Studi di Genova Research Field Chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Researcher (R4) First Stage Researc...
Research Engineer (Electrochemical Co2 Reduction), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Job Description Research Engineer position in the Department of Chemical and Bimolecular Engineering at National University of Singapore (NUS). The aim of this position is to develop in-depth unde...