Head of Finance (m/f/d)
The MPI-CBG is looking for a Head of Finance.
Application deadline 24 March 2023
We are offering the position of
Head of Finance (m/f/d)
The Head of Finance is a key position in the institute administration and is responsible for the overall management of the MPI-CBG's finances, income and expenditures. As Head of Finance, you shall oversee a budget of approximately 35 million EUR in institutional funding and, together with your team, ensure the proper handling of all financial matters. This includes operational accounting and annual budget planning as well as controlling and the continuous development of financial systems. In addition, you will work closely with the institute's management, the research groups, and the scientific and administrative service departments and advise them on financial as well as tax and grant-related issues.
- Leading the Finance department including the Grants team.
- Financial management for the overall budget, strategic planning and ongoing controlling in coordination with institute leadership and research units
- Ensuring efficient transaction processing, proper accounting, and compliance with applicable financial regulations and grant regulations
- Preparing annual and interim financial statements, cost and performance accounting, and regular forecasts
- Responsible for fundamental questions of third-party funding and cooperative projects, particularly regarding tax and grant law, overhead calculation and basic conceptual design
- Advising the institute's management and staff in all areas on issues relating to budgetary, grant and tax law
- Assuming the role of institute tax officer (Steuerbeauftragte(r))
- Main contact person for the finance department of the general administration of the Max Planck Society as well as for auditors, tax authorities and banks
- Overseeing a complete digital transformation of finance and related processes in coordination with the Max Planck Society's headquarters and internal institute departments
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field
- Experience working in a finance department of comparable size
- Profound knowledge of tax and accounting laws and standards
- High IT affinity and practical experience with ERP systems and planning tools (especially SAP);
- Sound MS-Office skills, advanced knowledge of Excel
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills
- Leadership personality and hands-on mentality
- High degree of responsibility, perseverance, and follow-through
- Excellent German and English language skills
The position would suit a hard-working, self-motivated and reliable person able to adhere to strict deadlines and take responsibility for their own workload. Good interpersonal skills and a “can do” attitude is essential as there will be frequent contact with customers, sponsors and Institute staff. Previous experience of enterprise accounts systems, preferably SAP, is essential, and significant experience and knowledge of German public sector financial procedures would be desirable. As the institute’s official language is English and the working language of the administration is German, fluency in both German and English is necessary.
- We offer a diversified job in a young, scientifically oriented, international team in one of the most renowned research institutions worldwide
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the applicable German tariff for employees in civil service (TVöD Bund) corresponding with qualification, experience and job responsibilities
- Attractive pension plan via VBL (Federal and State Government Employees' Retirement Fund)
- Discounted job ticket (VVO) and good public transport connections
- Support for a positive work-life balance, including assistance with family and childcare matters
The position is available immediately. The initial contract is for 2 years with the possibility of extension.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
For informal inquiries, please contact Brian von Rueden, Head of Human Resources, via email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We encourage you to submit your complete application by 24 March 2023 via our online application system stating Code 2023-HeadofFinance-6000: https://recruitingapp-2443.umantis.com/Vacancies/543/Application/CheckLogin/2?lang=eng
The following materials should be included:
- Cover letter indicating motivation to apply for the position
- Academic and professional certificates
- Contact details of 2 approachable professional references
University Summer Courses Offered In Germany For Foreign Students And Graduates • Daad, DAAD, Germany, about 16 hours ago
Overview Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung. A print version of this announcement (PDF) is ava...
Leiter It (M/F/Div), MPINB, Germany, 1 day ago
The Max-Planck-Institute for Neurobiology of Behaviour – caesar (MPINB) is a neuroethology institute located in Bonn that studies how the collective activity of the vast numbers of interconnected ...
Tenure Track Faculty Positions, The School Of Foreign Studies, NANJING UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
I. The School of Foreign Studies (SFS) The School of Foreign Studies (SFS) at Nanjing University traces its history back to a three-year English program initiated in 1917. Building on its academic...
Project Manager, EPFL, Switzerland, about 10 hours ago
EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than ...
Assistant Manager, Asset Managment, RMIT University, Australia, about 13 hours ago
Overview: RMIT University Vietnam (RMIT Vietnam) is a campus of RMIT University with 700 staff and 7,000 students, in three locations, and recently awarded one of the Best Companies to work for in...
Assistant Professor Postcolonial Languages & Ecologies: German, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
29 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Nether...