Fachbereich Geowissenschaften - Institut für Geologische Wissenschaften Tektonik und Sedimentäre SystemeDoctoral student in marine sedimentology and paleo-weathering history (m/f/d) with 75%-part-time-job limited to 3 years Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L FU reference code: PALAVAS 2023_engl Bewerbungsende: 15.06.2023
We invite applications for a Doctoral Candidate in the research group "Sedimentary Systems" of the Institute of Geological Sciences at the FU Berlin.
The research project within the German-French bilateral project "PALAVAS – Present and Past Weathering Fluxes from Tropical Volcanic Islands" in which the interaction between weathering and erosion in tropical volcanic islands will be evaluated. Within this framework, two doctoral projects on the German side (at GFZ Potsdam and FU Berlin, respectively) and two positions on the French side (IPGP Paris and EDYTEM Chambéry, respectively) will collectively test the hypothesis that the degree and rates of weathering and erosion depend on age of the underlying bedrock. Back through time, however, centennial to millennial-scale variations in climate may modify weathering and erosion rates, and these trends may be preserved in offshore sediment archives. We will use classical elemental geochemistry and state-of-the-art novel Beryllium and Lithium isotopes as tracers of modern and past weathering and erosion rates, in conjunction with biomarker analysis and numerical modelling.
Within PALAVAS the here advertised doctoral project will focus on quantifying changes in weathering and erosion of volcanic islands from marine sediment core and geophysical data over Quaternary timescales. The project will be led by Prof. Anne Bernhardt at the Freie Universität Berlin in cooperation with the Ifremer in Brest (France). The second German project focuses on identifying modern weathering and erosion processes by geochemically characterizing soils and modern river sediments and will be led by Dr. Hella Wittmann-Oelze at GFZ Potsdam and will be advertised separately. The French projects will be led by Dr. Julien Bouchez (IPGP Paris) and Dr. Fabien Arnaud (EDYTEM Chambéry) and will be advertised separately. All successful applicants will be working closely together and will carry out research visits among the different research facilities.
What we offer:
• Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
• Public service benefits
• Extensive training opportunities
• Flexible working hours and conditions
• Working in the vibrant city of Berlin
• A family-friendly work environment
• Training opportunities and career development at Dahlem Research School
We are looking forward to your application!
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore, we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to email email@example.com .
• Marine sediment core analyses
• Interpretation of geophysical sediment profiles
• Field work in tropical islands like Réunion for sampling sediment
• Close collaboration within a German-French project of both leading scientists and other doctoral students
• Dynamic and interdisciplinary supervisor team (2 female and 2 male scientists) with backgrounds in inorganic and organic geochemistry, sedimentology and paleoclimatology
• Reconstruction of changes earth surface processes and in paleohydrology as well as vegetation through a diverse geochemical characterization of samples: elemental geochemistry, mineralogy, biomarker isotope analyses (δD & δ13C), and lithium isotope analyses.
• University degree (master / diploma) in Geosciences, Geochemistry or related
• Good (English) communication skills; willingness for exchange with colleagues and travel within the bilateral project
• Experience in geological field work; knowledge of French is of advantage
• MSc thesis including either geochemical, sedimentological, and/ or also isotope work
• Ability to work independently in geochemical laboratories
• Experience in geological field work
For further information please contact Ms. Prof. Dr. Anne Bernhardt (firstname.lastname@example.org / +49 30 838 61558).
Please submit your application including a letter of motivation for this project in English, a curriculum vitae in English, relevant certificates and the contact details of two professional references indicating the reference code, in PDF format (preferably as one document) to Ms. Prof. Dr. Anne Bernhardt: email@example.com or postal to
Freie Universität Berlin
Institut für Geologische Wissenschaften
Tektonik und Sedimentäre Systeme
Ms. Prof. Dr. Anne Bernhardt
Haus B, 12249 Berlin (Lankwitz)
With an electronic application, you acknowledge that FU Berlin saves and processes your data. FU Berlin cannot guarantee the security of your personal data if you send your application over an unencrypted connection.
Student Assistant In Software Development (Php, Js) (M/F/X), Leibniz, Germany, 4 days ago
For IGB in Berlin-Friedrichshagen at Lake Müggelsee we are inviting applications for the position of a student assistant in Software development for an immediate start Research data management is ...
Student Assistant Microcosm Experiments (M/F/X), Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
The research group ‘Eco-Evolutionary Dynamics’ at the Department of Evolutionary and Integrative Ecology of IGB located in Berlin-Friedrichshagen at Lake Müggelsee is looking for a student assista...
Senior Science Policy Officer (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, 18 days ago
The Leibniz Institute for Zoo and Wildlife Research (IZW) in Berlin is Germany’s premier wildlife research institute, one of seven research institutes in the Forschungsverbund Berlin e. V., an ins...
Student Assistant (F/M/X) "Technology, Power And Domination", Leibniz, Germany, 4 days ago
For the research group “Technology, Power and Domination” based at the Weizenbaum Institute, the Berlin Social Science Center (WZB) is looking for a Student Assistant (f/m/x) starting on 1st Novem...
Student Assistant (F/M/X) Politics Of Digitalisation, Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
For a new project jointly led by the department for Global Governance (GG) and the research group Politics of Digitalisation (POLDI), the WZB Berlin Social Science Center is looking for a student ...
University Assistant Predoctoral, Philological And Cultural Studies, UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
45 Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) Limited until: permanent Reference no.: 1295 Among the many g...