This professorship is a joint professorship of the Berlin University Alliance between Freie Universität Berlin and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin. This means that, in addition to holding a full-time professorship at Freie Universität, the successful applicant will also be officially affiliated with Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin.
The Berlin University Alliance (BUA) has established “Joint Berlin Professorships” in order to promote scientific cooperation. These professorships are designed to further develop and expand upon innovative, groundbreaking areas of research and thus strengthen the alliance between Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Technische Universität Berlin, and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin.
The successful applicant will conduct research and teach in the fields of biological psychology and cognitive neuroscience.
Appointment requirements are governed bySection 100 of the Berlin Higher Education Act (Berliner Hochschulgesetz).
Applicants are expected to
- Have an excellent record of internationally influential research activities concerning higher cognitive functions, such as (but not limited to) attention, decision making, language, memory, or consciousness.
- Use state-of-the-art methods from cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience to obtain (e.g., via M/EEG, fMRI, ECoG) and analyze neurocognitive data (e.g., via multivariate analysis, machine learning, computational modeling) in their research.
- Have teaching experience at the university level in biological psychology and cognitive neuroscience (preferably in an international context).
- Demonstrate above-average success in acquiring third-party funding and extensive experience in organizing externally funded research projects.
Along with the regular official duties of professors listed in Section 99 of the Berlin Higher Education Act, we expect the appointee to engage in the following activities:
The successful candidate will be asked to
- Participate in joint interdisciplinary projects within the department and across the institutions that form the Berlin University Alliance (BUA).
- Further develop existing collaboration and initiate new collaborations between the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience Berlin (CCNB) and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin.
- Initiate and/or participate in applications for joint research projects within the department and the Berlin University Alliance (BUA), and show strong commitment to developing and promoting research activities at the CCNB.
- Coordinate, further develop, and teach courses in the field of biological psychology and cognitive neuroscience within the scope of the “Psychology” bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, as well as the international master’s degree program “Cognitive Neuroscience Berlin” at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Advise and support junior researchers and demonstrate sensitivity in issues of gender and diversity.
The Berlin University Alliance is made up of three Berlin-based universities – Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Technische Universität Berlin, and Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin. Its members work together to promote research and teaching in Berlin with the goal of making it a leading international hub for science.
Applications should include a CV, copies of all certificates of academic qualification in German or English (please enclose translations where necessary), a list of publications, and a teaching statement, including a list of courses previously taught. Please include a research statement with information on ongoing and future research endeavors, joint research projects, and externally funded projects. If necessary, please also include language certificates. If applicable, please also provide information on partnerships with industry, inventions/patents, and spin-offs.
Please submit all application materials electronically as one PDF file (maximum 5 MB) by 16th October 2023 Be sure to include a personal postal address and email, as well as the reference code for the position. For formal purposes (i.e., for formatting application documents), you may use the following postal address, but please send your application to the email address below it.
Freie Universität Berlin
Department of Education and Psychology
Prof. Dr. Babette Renneberg (Dean)
Habelschwerdter Allee 45
Application materials sent by mail cannot be returned.
Application documents will be deleted from our servers after the legal retention period has lapsed.
The regulations defined by the Berlin Higher Education Act that are relevant to professorships (Sections 99, 100, 101, 102a, 102c BerlHG) can be found online: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/berufungen .
Senior Lead Una Europa, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Universiteit Leiden Leiden University comprises seven faculties, each overseen by a Faculty Board chaired by a dean. The overall management falls under the purview of the Executive Board, ensuring...
Ph.D. Position In Developmental Neurobiology, Institute of Cell and Neurobiology, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany, 9 days ago
30 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Institute of Cell and Neurobiology, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher...
Employee In The Field Of It (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 3 days ago
The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berl...
Senior Lead Una Europa, Leiden University, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Apply now Leiden University is one of Europe’s premier international research institutions. Its excellence is owed to the committed and inspired employees, who play a pivotal role in both national...
Programme Officer, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 2 days ago
What do you get from us? A responsible position, in which all your skills are called upon and with plenty of room for your initiative and useful ideas. We offer you the opportunity to make your ow...
Research Associate (M/F/D) With A Focus On Urban Ponds, Leibniz, Germany, about 15 hours ago
Ponds in cities: blue infrastructures under pressure. A joint project with IGB starts in March 2024 - will you join us? The ARL is looking for a research associate (postdoc) (m/f/d) on the sustain...