The Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH (WZB Berlin Social Science Centre), research group “Globalization, Work and Production” seeks to hire a
Communication Manager (f/m/d)
for an appointment starting as soon as possible until July 2022 (extension possible). The appointment is made at 100% of the regular working hours (currently 39 hours/week).
The research fellow will work for the Fairwork Secretariat at the WZB. The Fairwork Secretariat is a joint project of the Oxford Internet Institute and the WZB, led by Professor Mark Graham (University of Oxford) and Professor Martin Krzywdzinski (WZB). Fairwork is an action-research project that studies the gig economy in order to develop fairness ratings for digital platforms, that are used as a lever to improve working conditions. It currently operates in Brazil, Bangladesh, Chile, Ecuador, Egypt, Germany, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, South Africa, and the UK. Because external-facing communication is such an integral part of the project’s impact strategy, the Communication Manager will play an essential role in driving the project’s success.
The tasks of the post holderinclude in particular:
- Developing a cohesive communications strategy for Fairwork
- Working closely with the central team and the wider Fairwork network to ensure delivery of regular communications, including eg. maintaining social media channels; maintaining the website, including blog posting and editing, content editing, keeping track of translations; drafting regular newsletters
- Overseeing the development of multimedia outputs (podcasts, videos, infographics, interactive games, applications, etc.) and compelling social media campaigns to share findings and communicate key messages
- Building communications infrastructure for engaging platform workers
- Developing and executing strategy to disseminate findings and communicate key messages to platform workers
- Working with authors and external designers/copy editors/translators in the delivery of the projects’ publications and promotional materials
- Writing and disseminating press releases targeting media in our 12+ countries of operation
- Developing a network of media contacts in our 12+ countries of operation
- Designing (including page-setting) regular high-quality reports and other outputs published by teams in 12+ countries
- Designing Fairwork-branded InDesign, MS Word, PowerPoint, and other templates for use by teams in 12+ countries
- Coordinating events such as meetings, retreats, short courses/summer school, conferences, workshops and seminars in close liaison with project members as required
The Fairwork Secretariat sits at the nexus of three research clusters in Oxford and Berlin that focus on the future of work. The Oxford Internet Institute is home to over a dozen researchers studying digital transformations and what they mean for work and workers. The WZB GAP group comprises a number of researchers focusing on the digitalization of work, including research on platforms, automation, and artificial intelligence. The work at the Fairwork Secretariat will also involve cooperation with the Berlin-based Weizenbaum Institute for the Networked Society. The tasks requires in this role will involve close cooperation between the Berlin- and Oxford-based teams, including joint research activities, workshops and conferences, as well as publications. There will be regular travel opportunities to facilitate collaboration between the Oxford- and Berlin-based teams.
- A relevant graduate degree in sociology, geography, anthropology, economics, development studies, or related fields
- Professional experience in communications, journalism, public relations, preferably in academia/research
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to confidently represent the project externally, and present concepts verbally in precise and concise language
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills
- Experience in developing and maintaining website content and social media channels
- Experience in using the Adobe Creative Suite or similar software
- Experience with managing publication processes
- Experience in interacting effectively and closely with a wide range of people, including influential people and media persons
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital/social media
- Experience in working autonomously with a high degree of motivation and initiative
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong project management and time management skills
- Preferably experience in creating or overseeing the creation of multimedia outputs like videos, podcasts, infographics, video games, etc.
- Preferably language competencies in languages spoken in Fairwork partner countries (e.g., Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Mandarin)
- Knowledge of issues impacting on precarious and insecure workers, and a demonstrable commitment to working towards the empowerment of workers, and to equality and inclusion
- Enthusiasm to work in a diverse and international team
Salary for the position: up to EG 13 TVöD Bund (Yearly gross income between 51,000 and 60,000 Euros, depending on qualification and work experience).
The position will be filled subject to funding approval. Applications from equally qualified people living with a disability will be given preference. We value diversity and welcome all applications – regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity. The WZB expressly encourages women and people with a migrant background to submit an application.
Candidates are requested the application (cover letter, CV, if applicable publications list, certificates and other) by 1 December 2020. Please send your application by email (one pdf-file) to Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB), Sonata Cepik, bewerbungen-gap(at)wzb.eu , with “Communication Fairwork” in the subject line.
Bruno Trentin And Europe In A Changing World. From The National Secretariat Of The Cgil To The..., Università degli Studi della Tuscia, Italy, 7 days ago
The research program aims to reconstruct the political action of Bruno Trentin from the National Secretariat of the CGIL (1988-1994) to the election to the European Parliament (1999-2004). In an i...
Department Of Political And Social Sciences Otto Suhr Institute Of Political Science University Professor Of Comparative Political Science With A Focus On Politics And Society In Africa Salary Grade: W2 Fixed Term Appointment (Five Years), With Tenure Track W3 Reference Code: W2 Tenure W3 Afrika Bewerbungsende: 11.02.2021, Free University of Berlin, Germany, about 6 hours ago
The successful applicant will cover the area named above in research and teaching. Appointment requirements are governed by Article 100 of the Berlin Higher Education Act (Berliner Hochschulgesetz...
Value Conflicts In A Differentiated Europe: The Impact Of Digital Media On Value Polarisation In..., Scuola Normale Superiore, Italy, 20 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Senior Program Manager, Osun Threatened Scholars Integration Initiative, Central European University, Hungary, about 7 hours ago
Position: Staff Location: Vienna Status: Full-time Unit: Yehuda Elkana Center for Higher Education E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Application deadline: Open until filled Starting date: As soon as possi...
Universitätsbibliothek: Center Für Digitale Systeme (Ce Di S)Software Developer (M/F/D) For Learning Analytics Based Digital Learning Systems In The Bmbf Funded Project „Technology For Competence (Tech4comp)“ 80% Part Time Job Limited To 31.03.2022 Entgeltgruppe 13 Tv L Fu Reference Code: Ce Di S Tech4comp 2020 04 (Englisch) Bewerbungsende: 01.02.2021, Free University of Berlin, Germany, about 6 hours ago
As an institution of the university library the “Center for Digital Systems (CeDiS)” supports all faculties and institutions of Freie Universität Berlin in media and technology enhanced learning, ...
Temporal Dynamics, Uncertainty And Resilience Of Pond Ecosystems In Response To Climate Change, KU Leuven, Belgium, 9 days ago
The project’s overarching aim is to develop improved methods for maximising the use of ponds and pondscapes in climate change adaptation and mitigation, biodiversity conservation and the delivery ...