Are you an expert in geotechnical design and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technologies in collaboration with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? VTT might be just the place for you!
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World .
We are now looking for a Senior Scientist in Geotechnical Design to join our Nature-Based Solutions team.
Our team, Nature-Based Solutions works on the design and assessment of integrated nature-based and engineered solutions for water and waste management, climate change adaptation and mitigation. We support the implementation of low-emissions energy solutions by designing and evaluating deep geologic repository barriers and near surface waste repositories, and innovating carbon capture, storage and re-use technologies. We employ geotechnical and thermal modelling among other methods in the monitoring and assessment of land surfaces, infrastructure and underground spaces.
Read more about our research: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/ourservices/nuclear-waste-management-and-disposal and https://www.vttresearch.com/en/ourservices/nature-based-solutions-climate-resilient-cities
As a Senior Scientist in Geotechnical Design, your key goals are to work as part of our team to develop and apply innovative methodologies and tools to address current and future research and development needs in the civil engineering sector. In this position, you will have an essential role in geotechnical design, civil engineering and material science for challenging environments, performance assessment of infrastructure materials, structural durability and service life assessments and monitoring of infrastructures in the built environment. You will be working closely with our customers and building up networks with other research organisations both in Finland and internationally.
Your responsibilities as a Senior Scientist:
- Develop and evaluate innovative geotechnical solutions, both in the field of nuclear waste management and in other applications. You should have a keen interest in supporting the transition to a low-carbon economy via development of innovative solutions for nuclear waste as well as novel technologies for carbon capture, storage and re-use.
- Play a leading role in the acquisition and management of new projects. Your work will include the preparation of project plans, applications and offers. You will have a role as a project manager where you will supervise other scientists and technicians, manage schedules and project finances, and develop customer relations.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team to carry out tasks in support of VTT’s scientific and strategic objectives.
- Communicate and disseminate our work. You will use your advanced skills in English to write research reports and peer-reviewed publications, deliver presentations, and discuss with key stakeholders to help the team communicate results clearly.
Who we are looking for:
- You have an MSc or higher degree in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience in numerical modelling and excellent skills in data analysis. The ability to use monitoring systems and various computing tools (e.g., FE analysis software, physics-based system software, geotechnical design tools, CAD) is seen as an advantage.
- You have strong interdisciplinary knowledge in civil and geotechnical engineering. Skill in (geo)statistical analysis is appreciated.
- You are familiar with the hydro-chemo-mechanical processes governing the long-term geological storage of carbon dioxide. Knowledge or interest in the development of innovative geophysical tools for injection and reservoir monitoring is appreciated.
- Proven project management skills, such as planning, budgeting, governance, reporting and monitoring.
- You have a proven ability to foster effective relationships with clients and partners, and the desire to support the team in further developing current customer relationships and identifying new partnerships.
- You have excellent written and oral English communication skills.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A fast learner who is capable of working in a flexible and independent manner, as well as by collaborating with colleagues across different fields of science and technology. We appreciate curiosity, passion as well as the ability to take the long-term perspective and find beyond-the-obvious solutions.
- Able to resolve major conceptual scientific, technical, or commercial problems, which have a significant impact upon your field of research, your professional function, our team or our Business Area.
What we offer you:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering from next generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope .
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects, both locally and internationally. At VTT, you will have state-of-the-art research facilities at your disposal, such as the VTT Centre for Nuclear Safety , and Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano- and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us over 10 years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary expectation via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 30 November 2022. We will process applications as they are received, and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Laura Wendling, email@example.com , +358 40 145 8036.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 11 November 2022 and 30 November 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Permanent
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Research Associate (Doctoral Candidate) (M/F/D) For The Joint Project "Innovationsnetzwerk Stoffliche Altholznutzung Auf Regionaler Ebene (Isar)" Focus :"Fungal Waste Wood Composites" , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 7 hours ago
08.02.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal We are looking for a part-time (65%), TV-L 13 Research Associate (Doctoral Candidate) (m/f/d) for the joint project "Innovationsnetzwerk Stoffliche Altholzn...
Lecturer Teaching Track, Civil And Enviromental Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF SURREY, United Kingdom, about 3 hours ago
Civil & Enviromental Engineering Location: Guildford Salary: £43,413 to £51,805 per annum Fixed Term Post Type: Full Time Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Wednesday 22 February 2023 Reference: 006...
Geotechnical Engineering Faculty Position, University of Alberta, Canada, 2 days ago
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Alberta is seeking candidates for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position to meet the growing needs of our Geotechnic...
Ph D 2/3 Futureproof Tunnels: Identify The Main Environmental Causes For Deformation And To Develop Realistic 3 D Subsurface Models, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Do you want to obtain a PhD while researching Future Proof Tunnels? Identifying the main environmental causes for deformation and to develop realistic 3D subsurface models? The Faculty of Civil En...
Ph D 2/3 Futureproof Tunnels: Identify The Main Environmental Causes For Deformation And To Develop Realistic 3 D Subsurface Models, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 22 days ago
PhD 2/3 Futureproof Tunnels: Identify the main environmental causes for deformation and to develop realistic 3D subsurface models PhD 2/3 Futureproof Tunnels: Identify the main environmental cause...
Shape Controlled Thorium Dioxide Precipitation Routes, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 10 days ago
Context: The increasing interest of thorium in the recent years is due to its promising application in several fields including nuclear fuel, catalyst, nuclear medicine, optical coatings, etc., bu...