Are you an expert in environmental geochemistry and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technologies in collaboration with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? VTT might be just the place for you!
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World .
We are now looking for a Senior Scientist in Environmental Geochemistry to join our Nature-Based Solutions team.
Our team, Nature-Based Solutions, works on the design and assessment of integrated nature-based and engineered solutions for water and waste management, climate change adaptation and mitigation. We support the implementation of low-emissions energy solutions by designing and evaluating deep geologic repository barriers and near surface waste repositories, and innovating carbon capture, storage and re-use technologies. We employ geochemical, hydrologic and thermal modelling among other methods in the monitoring and assessment of land surfaces, infrastructure and underground spaces.
Read more about our research: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/ourservices/nuclear-waste-management-and-disposal and https://www.vttresearch.com/en/ourservices/nature-based-solutions-climate-resilient-cities
As a Senior Scientist in Environmental Geochemistry, your key goals are to work as part of our team to apply and develop reactive transport models to assess material and energy flows through porous media and conduct geospatial analyses of analyte distributions (including isotopes) in fractured rock, soils and groundwater systems. In this position, you will have an essential role in geochemical analyses, including reactive transport modelling, and the design and assessment of repositories for waste and CO2. You will be working closely with our customers and building strong networks with other research organisations both in Finland and internationally.
Your responsibilities as a Senior Scientist:
- Geochemically assess innovative waste management and CO2 sequestration solutions. You should have a keen interest in supporting the transition to a low-carbon economy via development of innovative solutions for nuclear waste management as well as novel technologies for carbon capture, storage and re-use.
- Play a leading role in the acquisition and management of new projects. Your work will include the preparation of project plans, applications and offers. You will have a role as a project manager where you will supervise other scientists and technicians, manage schedules and project finances, and develop customer relations.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team to carry out tasks in support of VTT’s scientific and strategic objectives.
- Communicate and disseminate our work. You will use your advanced skills in English to write research reports and peer-reviewed publications, deliver presentations, and discuss with key stakeholders to help the team communicate results clearly.
Who we are looking for:
- You have an MSc or higher degree in a relevant field.
- You have demonstrated experience in reactive transport modelling and excellent skills in data analysis. If you have the ability to use a range of different monitoring systems and various computing and software development tools (e.g., Python, R, PHREEQ-C, MODFLOW, Comsol, GIS applications, etc.) those are seen as an advantage.
- Strong interdisciplinary knowledge in geochemistry and a mechanistic understanding of analyte fate and transport in the subsurface. If you have some knowledge of relevant radionuclide decay chains it is appreciated.
- You are familiar with the (bio)geochemical reactions governing carbon transformations, sequestration and stability, and we hope that you have an interest in carbon dioxide removal technologies.
- Project management skills, including planning, budgeting, reporting and monitoring.
- You have a proven ability to foster effective relationships with clients and partners, and the desire to support the team in further developing current customer relationships and identifying new partnerships.
- Excellent written and oral English skills.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A fast learner who is capable of working in a flexible and independent manner, as well as by collaborating with colleagues across different fields of science and technology. We appreciate curiosity, passion as well as the ability to take the long-term perspective and find beyond-the-obvious solutions.
- Able to resolve major conceptual scientific, technical, or commercial problems, which have a significant impact upon your field of research, your professional function, our team or our Business Area.
What we offer you:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering from next generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope .
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects, both locally and internationally. At VTT, you will have state-of-the-art research facilities at your disposal, such as the VTT Centre for Nuclear Safety , and Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano- and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us over 10 years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary expectation via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 30 November 2022. We will process applications as they are received, and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Laura Wendling, firstname.lastname@example.org , +358 40 145 8036.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 8 November 2022 and 30 November 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Permanent
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Research Associate (Doctoral Candidate) (M/F/D) For The Joint Project "Innovationsnetzwerk Stoffliche Altholznutzung Auf Regionaler Ebene (Isar)" Focus :"Fungal Waste Wood Composites" , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 8 hours ago
08.02.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal We are looking for a part-time (65%), TV-L 13 Research Associate (Doctoral Candidate) (m/f/d) for the joint project "Innovationsnetzwerk Stoffliche Altholzn...
Res Lab Aide Energy Efficiency Specialist, Arizona State University, United States, 3 days ago
88298BR Campus: Tempe Research/Lab Aide Job Description Employees will be part of the Industrial Assessment Center, funded by the US Department of Energy, to conduct energy efficiency assessments ...
Chemical Hygiene Officer, University of Arkansas, United States, about 3 hours ago
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view ...
Sustainability Specialist (Quality And Sustainability), KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Description Assist in developing, implementing and maintaining an Institution-wide energy conservation program. Work on developing sustainability project goals, objectives, initiatives, or strateg...
Assistant Professor In Experimental Heat Transfer , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Design and optimization of next generation of heat exchangers has to rely on accurate measurement of the local and global variables including temperature, velocity, heat transfer rate, and pressur...
Research Manager At The Inorganic Chemistry And Catalysis Group (0.8 1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Print this page Research Manager at the Inorganic Chemistry and Catalysis Group (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) Job description Within the Department of Chemistry and the Research Support Office (RSO) of the Facu...