Are you interested in numerical materials design, and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Do you dream of developing and utilizing world-class computational materials modelling tools and integrating modern experimental research in your work? VTT might be just the place for you. As an expert of metallic and ceramic materials, you might be our future colleague!
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World .
We are now looking for a Senior Scientist to join our Materials Modeling team (focusing on metallic materials).
As a Senior Scientist, your key goals are developing the team’s knowledge and project portfolio towards strategic targets and further ensure that our capabilities and results are in line with the demands of our customers.
In this position, you are to solve materials science and engineering problems by using methods of computational condensed matter physics, especially density functional theory. In this position, you will have an essential role in develop high-throughput materials simulation schemes for curation of the Process-Structure-Property relationships data. With the data generated, you will use them to develop machine learning models for guiding the design of new materials.
Our team, ProperTune ICME, focuses on the development of material models and their predictive capabilities enabling time and resource savings and higher operation performance for the entire life-cycle of a product. We are specialized in numerical materials modeling and design technologies.
We are using multiscale modelling for optimal computational materials design, and replacing expensive, time-consuming testing. We have spent last two decades to develop modelling tools across length and time scales together with our industrial partners and applied them to their critical components in mechanical machines and devices. With our modelling excellence, we aim to shorten the time-to-market of high-performance materials by an average of 50%. Our team have successfully worked with customers such as Wärtsilä, Caterpillar and ArcelorMittal.
Read more about our research: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/ourservices/computational-material-design-vtt-propertune
Your responsibilities as a Senior Scientist
- You will have an essential role in combining experimental and computational modelling tools to speed up the development cycle of novel metal, ceramic and composite materials and their manufacturing technologies.
- You will participate in a wide range of projects as an expert on your field and have an important role in project planning and preparation including active collaboration with our customers and writing proposals together with your colleagues. You will follow selected technology areas and generate new ideas and contacts to stakeholders.
- You will work as a project group member and use your expertise to help the team to meet the targets and to mentor your colleagues in their early career. You will participate modelling activities (exact role will be determined based on your background).
- As a project group member and project manager, you will ensure that the defined tasks are accomplished on time and results are delivered and reported with high quality.
Who we are looking for?
- You have deep understanding about density functional theory in the field of metals. Knowledge of ceramics and their composites is a plus.
- You have MSc. degree, preferably PhD, in in a relevant field, such as, materials physics, computational chemistry, material science and engineering, computer science, or applied mathematics.
- We expect you to have several years working experience in the field of materials physics or materials science and proven experience on solving materials related challenges
- Familiarity with Unix-like operating systems
- Experience in programming / data analysis (Python, Matlab, C/C++, etc.)
- As a Senior Scientist, you have established networks both in academia and industry and like to widen them both nationally and globally.
- Fluent written and spoken English is mandatory, basic Finnish skills is a plus.
It’s an advantage, if you also have experience or knowledge of some of these:
- Analysis and using characterization data produced with methods and tools, like SEM, TEM, EDS, XRD, and DSC.
- Other atomistic scale techniques such as molecular dynamics or kinetic Monte-Carlo
- Metallurgical thermodynamics and especially CALPHAD tools, like Thermo-Calc.
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques and familiarity with modern related tools
As a person, we hope that you are:
A curious mind, who is capable of working in a flexible and independent manner, and collaborating with customers and colleagues across different fields of science and technology. We appreciate ambition as well as the ability to take the long-term perspective and find beyond-the-obvious solutions.
What would we offer you?
- Science with an impact. At VTT, we seek to solve large societal challenges and drive a sustainable future through applied research and innovation. With us, you’ll get to work on research projects that make a concrete, positive impact in the world. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope .
- Open culture of innovation. We have nearly 80 years of experience in science-based innovation, a strong international reputation and global networks. We work truly across disciplines, and house all the cutting-edge sciences from quantum computing to synthetic biology under one roof. At VTT, you’ll join a community of over 2000 multidisciplinary experts who foster a culture of trust, openness and sharing knowledge. Collaborating with amazing colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Great career in research. We offer long-term positions and flexible career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us for over 10 years, as you can advance to different roles and responsibilities within VTT. At VTT, researchers have flexibility and independence to affect the content of their work, and a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects keeps your career path interesting.
- Support for your well-being. Nordic work–life balance. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. Working in Finland, the happiest country in the world, enables a great quality of life. At VTT, we make our people’s well-being a strategic priority. We offer 6 weeks paid vacation a year, and our benefits include extended occupational healthcare, and a range well-being services, such as exercise and culture benefits and hobby clubs.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest 14 September.
The exact starting date can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Tom Andersson, email@example.com .
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 24 August 2022 and 14 September 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Fulltime, permanent
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Technical Assistant In Science, Bio Anti Project, University of Helsinki, Finland, 4 days ago
Docent Riikka Räisänen, the PI and leader of the BioColour (https://biocolour.fi ) and BioAnti (https://blogs.helsinki.fi/bioantimicrobial/ ) research consortia, is seeking for Technical assistan...
Research Associate – Laser Surface Functionalization (Bio Inspired); With The Option Of A Ph D Thesis At Eth Zurich , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 5 days ago
80%-100%, Zurich, fixed-term inspire AG is the leading Swiss competence center for product innovation and advanced manufacturing. As a strategic partner of ETH Zurich, our mission is to transfer k...
Prominent Postdoctor In Engineering Materials Project: Material Processing And Characterization For Co2 Capture And Utilization Using Renewables, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, about 11 hours ago
Luleå University of Technology experiences rapid growth with world-leading expertise within several research domains. We shape the future through innovative education and groundbreaking research r...
Full Professor In Materials And Manufacturing, Jönköping University, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
The School of Engineering is one of four schools within Jönköping University. We offer attractive technical education at undergraduate and graduate levels and conduct advanced research in several ...
Senior Scientist, Ph D Motion Control , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 5 days ago
100%, Zurich, permanent inspire AG, which works in close cooperation with ETH Zurich, conducts basic and application- oriented research in many fields of production technology. It is the leading S...
Faculty Position, Department Of Materials Science And Engineering, NATIONAL CHENG KUNG UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
The recruitment of a full-time faculty staff for the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, ROC. One tenure-track faculty position at all levels s...