Are you interested in development of novel sustainable bio-based materials solutions and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to do impactful research in the cutting edge of natural sciences and engineering technologies with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build a science career and work in a versatile role at the interface of academy and industry? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning, and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds focuses on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's research infra at VTT World .
We are now looking for Scientists to join our Biorefining processes team.
As a Senior Scientist, your key goals are to develop our team's excellence and project portfolio on sustainable biomass refining processes for novel bio-based materials. As a Research Scientist, your main goals are to provide scientific and technical expertise to the projects. The main fields of research include emissionless biorefineries for the future, disruptive chemimechanical fiber processing technologies and sustainable lignocellulose dissolving concepts. In these positions, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with academic groups, other research organizations, industrial partners and public financers.We are a team of 15 researchers and technicians, who focus heavily on experimental research. Every day is different, and besides research work you will also get to collaborate with our customers, participate in preparing project applications and/or focus on networking inside and outside the organization depending on your preferences.
"VTT gives you the professional support of a large organization, but allows for considerable autonomy. We have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, staffed by professional technicians. Funding application and grant writing is done in a professional manner and the acceptance rate is high. We are in constant contact with industry through both jointly funded and privately funded projects.VTT has one of the best allowances for flexible working hours and vacations in the industry in Finland. Unlike universities, VTT does not have a teaching obligation, which has allowed me to fully concentrate on research." -Senior Scientist, Biomass processing-
Our team, Biorefining processes, is focusing on developing and upscaling processes for emissionless future biorefineries. We explore industrial feasibility of novel methods for converting various lignocellulosic sources into sustainable high-performance materials and products. This supports VTT’s mission of solving global challenges through science and technology by providing means to replace fossil-based materials with renewable and recycled ones.
"It's amazing to try out even the slightly crazier ideas" - From cellular agriculture to new ingredients on a plate
A dream job and a good life? “At VTT you get to push yourself professionally – and have a balanced life”
“As a researcher, I want to see the impact of my work” – Making the jump from academia to applied research
As Senior Scientist, you will:
- Apply your solid skills in chemical and mechanical processing of lignocellulosics for a wide range of research and customer projects.
- Identify and establish contacts with potential customers and research partners and actively participate in offering our R&D expertise and know-how.
- Participate in project preparations, in management of projects, and in providing scientific and technical expertise to the projects.
- Act as a role model in scientific excellence, supporting research scientists in their early career.
Who we are looking for, you have:
- Fundamental understanding in lignocellulose and pulping chemistry, and strong knowledge in pulping technologies.
- Experience in conducting experimental work and utilizing process models together with experimental results.
- Preferably PhD in chemical engineering, especially in chemical or chemimechanical pulping, or closely related field.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills in English.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Willing to continuously develop yourself and share your knowledge.
- Able to take initiatives and leadership on agreed topics.
- A fast learner who is capable of working in a flexible and independent manner, and collaborating with colleagues across different fields of science and technology.
- We appreciate curiosity, passion as well as the ability to take the long-term perspective and find beyond-the-obvious solutions.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering, from next-generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems, and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating a real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope .
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects locally and internationally. At VTT, you'll have state-of-the-art research facilities, such as Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano-, and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us for over ten years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun. Read more about our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture excellent team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work-life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation and cognitive ergonomics training.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 11th of December 2022. We will process applications as they come in and fill the positions as soon as we find the right candidates.
Interested and want to know more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Jari Sirviö, by email email@example.com , or by phone +358 400 548 143 on November 30th at 14-16 (EET). and December 9th 10-12 (EET).
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 25 November 2022 and 11 December 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Permanent
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Research Associate, McGill University, Canada, 20 days ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Doctoral Student In Metabolic Engineering Of Clostridium Thermocellum For Sustainable Products , KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, about 5 hours ago
Project description Third-cycle subject: Biotechnology The overall purpose of this project is to develop Clostridium thermocellum as a next-generation robust microbial cell factory that can conver...
Student Assistant As Software Engineer For Sustainability Tools In Chemical Process Design , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 10 days ago
10%-20%, Zurich, fixed-term The Energy & Process Systems Engineering (EPSE) laboratory within the Institute of Energy and Process Engineering at ETH Zurich focuses on sustainable energy systems an...
Associate Professor In Chemical Process Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 4 days ago
The Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering is now recruiting an Associate Professor in Chemical Process Engineering. This position offers the successful candidate close engagement in re...
Postdoc Or Scientist In Energy Systems Modelling, Empa, Switzerland, 4 days ago
Empa - the place where innovation starts Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and th...
Associate Professor In Biorefining And Processing Of Animal Feedstuffs, Aarhus University (AU), Denmark, 7 days ago
The Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Aarhus University, invites highly qualified applicants for a position as associate professor in biorefining and processing of animal feedstuffs fr...