Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke) is a research organisation working to promote bioeconomy and sustainable use of natural resources. We provide solutions and services to our customers based on best available scientific knowledge. Our research results and services generate added value and sustainability as well as scientific evidence to support decision making. We carry out research on forestry, agriculture, food, game, and fisheries. We also perform statutory services.
Being open-minded and curious and having a strong will to leave a positive mark to the world binds Luke people together. Together we build a positive working culture where each other’s work is highly respected. In Luke, the work assignments are versatile and employees can influence the content of their work. We work in a mobile work culture which gives you the possibility to work from wherever it suits you the best. Luke offers a multidisciplinary international research environment with unique research infrastructures, experimental sites and well-equipped laboratories.
As a postdoctoral researcher in Luke you are one of our future makers. Luke’s postdoc policy ensures that everyone gets the same support and position like a right to scientific supervising and equal career development possibilities. Our Early Career Community and Intercultural Community offer possibilities to share experiences and competence as well as everyday joys and griefs. As an employer Luke offers relocation packages for those, who have been recruited from abroad. This support means a remarkable help in immigration and settling in Finland.
We seek a postdoctoral researcher to join a multi-institute research team working to better understand beef and dairy grassland management effects on carbon sequestration, soil organic matter dynamics, and greenhouse gas (GHG) exchange in mineral and organic soils in Finland. The successful candidate will help to develop a GHG modeling framework to track changes in ecosystem GHG balance in response to commonly recommended management practices. As part of the study, the candidate will conduct modeling exercises that integrate field data with existing process-based biogeochemical models (such as DNDC, STICS, DayCent, APSIM etc). This work is planned as a part of the NC-GRASS project funded by the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will work closely with the Principal Investigator, Dr. Narasinha Shurpali (Maaninka Finland), and other collaborators on the project to:
1. Facilitate the development of a GHG modelling framework for dairy and beef grassland management practices, including: a) summarizing existing relevant GHG data and publications in a white paper, b) coordinating a working group to discuss and develop modelling framework, c) conducting necessary analyses to evaluate and inform uncertainty reduction in GHG estimates, d) deploying modelling framework on six super sites (research grasslands) in Finland ranches, and e) managing data storage/access and analyse data
2. Refine, validate, and compare the performance of process-based biogeochemical models for predicting carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas emissions reductions with management of Finnish grasslands, curate necessary datasets for model inclusion, run and evaluate models
3. Author peer-reviewed manuscripts and communicate findings to diverse local, national, and international audiences.
The vacancy is initially for 2 years with a possibility of 1 year continuation (2+1).
• Ph.D. (granted or expected soon) in soil science, biogeochemistry, terrestrial ecosystem ecology, agroecology, or related field
• Excellent quantitative research and data analysis skills, including proficiency in the statistical program R, GIS software
• Experience with the use of one or many of the models mentioned above
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated success in clearly and productively communicating with partners from multiple sectors and the scientific community.
• Working knowledge of process-based biogeochemical models
• Strong knowledge of terrestrial carbon and nutrient cycling
• Familiarity with climate change mitigation and soil health on working lands, Interest in applied research to inform policy and practice
• Superior organizational and facilitation skills
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team and with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
Scope of employment
Form of employment: Temporary employment
Scope: Office work
Commencement: 01/05/2021or according to the agreement.
Time-limited to: 30/04/2023Nature of the work, Postdoctoral research
Last application date: 09/04/2021 16:00
Reference number: 30-209-2021
You can apply for this job via:
You may also apply for this position by submitting your application to the address below. The job reference of the role must be cited both in the actual application and on the envelope. Applications will not be returned.
00790 Helsinki, FINLAND
The following documents should be attached to the application:
· Letter of motivation where the applicant is asked to describe her/his scientific background and research interests
· Publication list
· Contact details of at least two senior academics for references
Please note that the application period expires on 9 April 2021 at 4.00 pm (time in Finland, UTC + 3). Unfortunately, we are unable to consider late applications.
The position is at complexity level 8-9 in Luke's salary system. Therefore, the position-specific salary component is EUR 3165,51 - 3579,47 per month. In addition to the position-specific salary component, a salary component based on personal performance will be paid. It can be at most 50% of the position-specific salary component. The applicant may also present a separate salary request.
Number of positions advertised: 1
Narasinha ShurpaliSenior Scientist+358 29 532 email@example.com
Mikko JärvinenGroup manager+358 29 532 firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Institute Finland
Halolantie 31 A
Read more: Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke)
A trial period is 3 months.
Postdoc PoSITion On PhyloGeNOmIcs And EvolUTion Of MalaGasy Dung Beetles, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
The University of Helsinki (https://www.helsinki.fi/en ) is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the key multidisciplinary research universities i...
PostdocToral ReSearcher In Neuroscience, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
A POSTDOCTORAL POSITION for initially 1 year in zebrafish neuroscience is open at the Department of Anatomy, University of Helsinki. The start date is as soon as possible in August 2021. The succe...
Postdoctoral Researcher At The Protein And Structural Biology Research Unit, Faculty Of Biochemistry And Molecular Medicine, University of Oulu, Findland, about 10 hours ago
The North changes the world – more sustainable, more intelligent, more humane. We, at the University of Oulu work as a part of the international science community to produce new scientific inform...
PostdocToral ReSearcher In EvolUTionAry EcoLogy, University of Helsinki, Belgium, about 17 hours ago
Postdoctoral Researcher in anticipatory, within and across generations, stress responses HiLIFE, Helsinki Institute of Life Science (www.helsinki.fi/hilife ) , at the University of Helsinki, is on...
PostdocToral ReSearcher In AnTiCipAtOry, Within And Across GenErATions, Stress ReSponses, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
HiLIFE, Helsinki Institute of Life Science (www.helsinki.fi/hilife ) , at the University of Helsinki, is one of the leading life science research institutes in the Nordics. It builds on existing s...
Two Doctoral Student Positions In Microfluidics And Biosensors Group, Faculty Of Biochemistry And Molecular Medicine, University of Oulu, Findland, about 10 hours ago
The North changes the world – we at the University of Oulu work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed t...