We at the University of Oulu work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university's several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
We are now looking for
a Postdoctoral Researcher
to join the M3S Cloud research group at the Empirical Software Engineering in Software, Systems and Services (M3S), to work on the Multimodal Fusion based Anomaly Detection for Improving Microservice-based System project, funded by Academy of Finland.
The faculty and the research group
M3S (Empirical Software Engineering in Software, Systems and Services) research unit at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering at the University of Oulu, Finland, M3S has a long tradition in industrial and international collaboration. It has actively participated in large European research projects since the 1990's. Over 30% of the research unit's staff are international. Members of the research unit have published their research in leading software engineering journals and conferences, e.g. IEEE Transactions on SE, IEEE Software, Empirical SE, Information and Software Technology, Journal of Systems and Software, and International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE).
The successful applicant will carry out their research in areas of software architecture in the cloud, and in particular on metrics and anti-patterns for microservice-based systems.
In particular, Mining Software Repositories techniques will be used to detect different types of metrics and anti-patterns from microservices-based systems. The research is part of a project funded by the Academy of Finland. The project develops methods for architectural anomaly detection of microservice-based system. Motivating applications include experience with microservices, and microservices metrics and patterns.
- A doctoral degree in a related field, e.g. Computer Science, Software Engineering. Students near completion can also apply. The degree must be completed prior to beginning of the employment. The doctoral degree must have been received no more than 10 years ago.
- Good English skills (writing, speaking)
- Expertise in Microservices, and knowledge of microservices patterns and metrics, knowledge in Literature Reviews and preferably in Multivocal Literature Reviews.
What we offer
- Possibility to do a Postdoctoral fellowship in a top-level research group
- Working in a Research Unit with excellent collaboration with industry
- International environment and projects, English as a working language
- University´s wide variety of support services are at your disposal allowing you to focus on your research.
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as free occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and endless opportunities to develop your skills and competences.
- Regular salary is paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer.
- Benefits of the Nordic welfare state, e.g. well-functioning daycare for children, safety, and beautiful nature.
The position is fixed term for 2 years, starting 1.1.2023 and ending 31.12.2024. A trial period of 6 months is applied to the position. The salary will be based on the levels 5-6 of the demand level chart for university–level teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 3700€-4100€ per month.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 30th of November 2022 (23:59 Finnish local time). The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) summarizing applicant’s professional experience and expertise and describing why applicant is interested in about this position. Also, information on personal research interests, experience and career plans are valuable to provide here
2) Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
3) A research plan, max. 3 pages
4) List of publications based on the guidelines of the Academy of Finland: https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/ [with ten most important indicated]
5) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original doctoral degree certificate and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English
6) Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through the online recruitment system will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
For further information, please contact prof. Davide Taibi, M3S Group, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Oulu, Finland
Finland is one of the most livable countries in the world, with a high quality of life, safety, excellent education system, and competitive economy. The Oulu region is home to over 200 000 people making it the largest urban centre in the Nordics and one of the fastest growing regions in northern Finland. Oulu is a combination of beautiful, northern nature, vivid cultural life and modern technology. Oulu is also known for its highly-educated people and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. Living in Oulu is easy – everything is only max. 20 minutes away! Find out more about Oulu: https://www.oulu.fi/university/living-in-oulu
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1 day ago
Laakkonen lab invites applications for a position of POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER in a 1,5-year project with possibility of extension starting as soon as possible. Trial period of six months will be ap...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Ecology And Evolutionary Biology, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1 day ago
The Finnish Museum of Natural History LUOMUS is looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher in ecology and evolutionary biology to join Plant Adaptation and Conservation (PAC) group. ...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Genetics And Functional Genomics, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1 day ago
We are looking for a skilled postdoctoral fellow with a computational, mathematical, statistical, and/or bioinformatic background in genetics and functional genomics at the Institute for Molecula...
Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher Fixed Term Position, University of Turku, Finland, about 7 hours ago
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral researcher / project researcher position at the Finnish Centre for Astronomy with ESO (FINCA). FINCA is a national research institute that takes care of...
Postdoctoral Researcher, Carbon Action, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1 day ago
The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry at the University of Helsinki invites applications for the position of a POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER to work in research projects tightly connected to Finnish C...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Macroeconomics, UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
The Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Helsinki invites applications for the position of POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER for a fixed three-year period starting on the 1st of September, 2023. ...