25 Nov 2023
- Research Field
Chemistry » Other
Physics » Other
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
3 Dec 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Are you interested in clean internal combustion engines with future fuels and looking for a postdoctoral opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of academy and industry? Are you enthusiastic about working with fascinating projects in state-of-the-art research facilities? VTT might be just the place for you. If you are an international talent searching for a new opportunity, read more about the benefits of living in Finland and VTT’s support for relocation here !
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2200 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's tech & infra .
We are now looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join our Efficient engines and vehicles team for a fixed-term employment (approx. 24 months) in early 2024!
In 2023 VTT started a Postdoc programme to develop new ways to support scientific excellence and to strengthen career paths from universities to VTT. We want to provide development opportunities for recent university PhDs in applied research and industry collaboration. As a Postdoctoral Researcher at VTT, you are able to make an impact on our customers and society. Our researchers work closely together with industry, often in interdisciplinary research groups. VTT has excellent research infrastructure and internal services to support your research work.
In this Postdoctoral Researcher position, you will have an essential role in developing our expertise on clean engines combustion with new fuels i.e. hydrogen and its derivatives by performing state-of-the-art computational fluid dynamic combustion simulations. Our team, Efficient engines and vehicles, works for developing new combustion concepts for renewable fuels, new hybrid powertrains and vehicle level investigations.
Your responsibilities as Postdoctoral Researcher:
- Performing CFD combustion simulations on hydrogen and its derivative fuels for internal combustion engines (ICE)
- Developing combustion concepts for increased efficiency and reduced pollutant emissions
- Develop CFD modelling tools for hydrogen and its derivative combustion modelling purposes.
- Plan and participate experimental research for model validation purposes.
- Collaborating in research team and project group with co-writing and project work
- Participating in new project preparations, especially within the Horizon Europe work programme
- Participating actively in dissemination with journal publications and presenting results in conferences and seminars
- Supervising or tutoring junior team members
Who we are looking for:
- You have recently (max 5 years ago) gained your doctoral degree in computational fluid dynamics related to internal combustion engine (ICE) modelling and simulation.
- You are skilled in data-driven modelling methodologies, data analytics, and programming (Python, MATLAB, C/C++)
- You are skilled in combustion related chemistry, thermochemical and physical phenomena.
- Ideally you are experienced with OpenFOAM simulation environment.
- Ideally you have already experience on experimental ICE research activities.
- You are interested in internal combustion technologies and new renewable fuels in marine and off-road applications.
- You have excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A fast learner, capable of working in a flexible and independent manner and collaborating with colleagues across different fields of science and technology.
- You have a proven track record on self-initiative way of working.
- We appreciate curiosity, passion as well as the ability to take the long-term perspective and find beyond-the-obvious solutions.
- An open-minded and innovative person with a vision of longer-term research needs.
- You are eager to work with new topics and methods, even out of your comfort zone to achieve the set ambitious goals.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Science with an impact. At VTT, we seek to solve large societal challenges and drive a sustainable future through applied research and innovation. With us, you’ll get to work on research projects that make a concrete, positive impact in the world. Read more about our strategy, the path of exponential hope , and our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
- Support for your postdoc research. During your postdoctoral term, we offer training in project management, scientific writing, communication, and commercialisation. You’ll have the opportunity collaborate with industry on projects, access our research infrastructure and internal support services, explore interdisciplinary research, and secure funding for your postdoc term. At VTT, you’ll enjoy flexibility and independence in your work, with a blend of academic research and engaging customer projects for an exciting career path.
- Open culture of innovation. We have 80 years of experience in science-based innovation, a strong international reputation and global networks. We work truly across disciplines, and house all the cutting-edge sciences from quantum computing to synthetic biology under one roof. At VTT, you’ll join a community of over 2200 multidisciplinary experts who foster a culture of trust, openness and sharing knowledge. Collaborating with amazing colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Nordic work–life balance. Working in Finland, the happiest country in the world, enables a great quality of life. At VTT, we make our people’s well-being a strategic priority. We offer 6 weeks paid vacation a year, and our benefits include extended occupational healthcare, and a range well-being services, such as exercise and culture benefits and hobby clubs. Read more about the benefits of living in Finland and VTT’s support for relocation .
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 26 November 2023. We will process applications as they come in and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate. A security clearance procedure may be conducted during the recruitment process.
Interested and want to know more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Petri Söderena, [email protected] , +358 40 357 3420 on 10 November 2023 at 13–14 EET or 17 November at 10–11 EET.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Espoo or Vaasa
This position will be in a project funded by European Union's NextGenerationEU instrument.
Apply between 7 November 2023 and 3 December 2023 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Fixed-term from earliest 1 January 2024 until 31 December 2025
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
- Research Field
- Years of Research Experience
- 4 - 10
- Research Field
- Years of Research Experience
- 4 - 10
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Postal Code
- Tekniikantie 21
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Postdoctoral Researcher, Data Science And People Flow In The Built Environment, University of Helsinki, Finland, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Computer Science of the Faculty of Science is seeking a postdoctoral researcher to work on a Business Finland co-innovation project “Untangling People Flow for Smart and Sustaina...
Postdoctoral Position In Computational Fluid Dynamics For Hydrogen Engines (Pa2024/230) , University of Lund, Sweden, about 16 hours ago
Description of the workplace Lund University's Department of Energy Sciences is a leading center for research in energy, fluid mechanics, and sustainability. The Division of Fluid Mechanics at Lun...
Postdoctoral Researcher 'Flow', Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, about 15 hours ago
The Faculty of Engineering, Department Toegepaste mechanica, is looking for a postdoctoral researcher. More concretely your work package contains: The Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics (FLOW) res...
Postdoctoral Position On The Control Of Hydrogen/Air Flames With Plasma , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 9 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Laboratory of Combustion, Acoustics, and Flow Physics (CAPS) in the Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering invites applications for a Post-doctoral position...
Postdoctoral Researcher On Social And Genetic Determinants And Health Consequences Of Obesity, University of Helsinki, Finland, about 12 hours ago
The University of Helsinki is the oldest and largest institution of academic education in Finland, an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. In international unive...
Postdoctoral Researcher Position In Mathematical Inverse Problems At The University Of Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Finland, about 12 hours ago
As part of the Faculty of Science, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics of the University of Helsinki is the biggest university department of mathematical sciences in Finland. The departm...