We at the University of Oulu work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university's several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
Centre for Wireless Communications (CWC) and Circuits and Systems (CAS) research unit at University of Oulu, Finland are opening several positions for
in the various areas of radio frequency (RF) technologies including RF system design and algorithms, antennas and reflectors, and RF/mmW integrated circuit (RFIC) and integrated power amplifier design. CWC is one of the leading research centers in the field of wireless communications globally leading the world’s first 6G research program. Its mission is to conduct world-class research, create new technologies, train world-class graduates, and transfer technology to real use. CAS does all kinds of IC related research, and is specifically interested in analyzing and improving the linearity of analog blocks.
We are looking for talented, research-oriented doctoral researchers who are interested in researching in the field of future RF, RFIC, antennas and RF systems for wireless communications and sensing. Especially we are looking for persons who are interested in one or many of the research themes as below for 5G and 6G applications:
- System and architecture design for RF transceivers for 5G and 6G systems
- RF/mmW integrated circuits (including power amplifier design and broadband design)
- Reconfigurable antennas, arrays and (meta)surfaces for future communications and sensing systems
- RF signal processing algorithms and system modelling
- Over-the-air measurement techniques for RF transceivers
The faculty and the research group
RF research is conducted in Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering in CWC-RT and CAS research units. The RF group is a part of the CWC-Radio Technologies research unit collaborating with Circuits and Systems (CAS) research unit. The units contribute to the national 6G flagship as well as to other national and EU projects in the field, including European https://hexa-x.eu/ and national RF Sampo . Our research vision can be found from https://www.6gflagship.com/white-paper-on-rf-enabling-6g-opportunities-and-challenges-from-technology-to-spectrum/ .
Results of the RF research from University of Oulu have been published in the topmost forums consisting of more than 100 international journal and conference papers over past years.
As a Doctoral researcher, you will carry out research work within a research team, publish research results in the most esteemed international fora, attend doctoral courses and complete your doctoral thesis within 4 years.
Please also read the detailed requirements for entering the University of Oulu Graduate School for which all doctoral student candidates must apply to:
To qualify as a Doctoral Researchet, you must possess an applicable Master of Science degree (or other applicable Master's degree) in electrical (or communications) engineering completed with very good / excellent grades.
In addition, we appreciate:
- Strong fundamental knowledge on RF technologies and electronics including RF/mmW transceivers, antennas and surfaces, semiconductor technologies, radio frequency integrated circuits (RFIC) and RF components
- Strong knowledge on fundamental signal processing techniques such as beamforming, digital filters, mitigation of RF nonidealities, and waveform design for communication systems and sensing.
- Capability to write scientific publications based on the results achieved during doctoral studies
- Readiness for demanding challenges
- High motivation and work efficiency both in theoretical and experimental studies
- Co-operational and team working skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Positive mindset and the ability to interact with people from various backgrounds
What we offer
- We offer you a place in a highly talented and motivated research group, working to solve globally significant research problems in various fields of RF technologies collaborating with other research groups from new materials to communications systems.
- Modern research facilities including state-of-the-art design tools, opportunity to manufacture and experiment your designs using laboratory facility with comprehensive RF testing capabilities of up to 330 GHz frequency.
- We offer you personnel benefits such as free occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and endless opportunities to develop your skills and competences.
- Regular salary is paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer.
- The successful candidate will also receive benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality, affordable childcare services.
The salary will be based on the demand levels 2 – 4 of the salary system of Finnish Universities for teaching and research personnel. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be typically 2,500 – 2,550 € per month.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 6 December 2022 at 23:59 (Finnish local time). The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) summarizing applicant’s professional experience and expertise and describing why applicant is interested in about this position. Information on personal research interests, experience and career plans are also valuable.
2) Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae including a list of publications (if available) and contact information of two referees who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate.
3) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original master’s degree certificate and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English.
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through the online recruitment system will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
The selected candidates are expected to start by February 1st, 2023, or as soon as possible thereafter. The positions are fixed term for four years. A trial period of 6 months is applied in the positions.
For further information, please contact Professor Aarno Pärssinen, aarno.parssinen(at)oulu.fi or Professor Ping Jack Soh (pingjack.Soh(at)oulu.fi) or Professor Timo Rahkonen, timo.rahkonen(at)oulu.fi.
About Oulu, Finland
Finland is one of the most livable countries in the world, with a high quality of life, safety, excellent education system, and competitive economy. The Oulu region is home to over 200 000 people making it the largest urban centre in the Nordics and one of the fastest growing regions in northern Finland. Oulu is a combination of beautiful, northern nature, vivid cultural life and modern technology. Oulu is also known for its highly-educated people and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. Living in Oulu is easy – everything is only max. 20 minutes away! Find out more about Oulu: https://www.oulu.fi/university/living-in-oulu
Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher Fixed Term Position, University of Turku, Finland, about 19 hours ago
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral researcher / project researcher position at the Finnish Centre for Astronomy with ESO (FINCA). FINCA is a national research institute that takes care of...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Economics And Public Policy, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
Job Description Job Description The Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy is seeking two Postdoctoral Research Fellow (RF) who will assist Dr. Zeewan Lee with applied economics research in the fiel...
Two Postdoctoral Positions In Eu Law And Constitutional Law (Pa2023/750) , University of Lund, Sweden, about 12 hours ago
Lund University is a full-scale and research-intensive university, and the only Swedish university to be part of the strong international networks League of European Research Universities (LERU) a...
Post Doctoral Associate In The Division Of Engineering, Biomedical Integrated Circuit Design, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Description The Integrated BioElectronics Lab (https://wp.nyu.edu/sohmyung/ ) led by Prof. Sohmyung Ha at New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) invites applications for multi-year fully-funded Pos...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Ecology And Evolutionary Biology, University of Helsinki, Finland, about 13 hours ago
The Finnish Museum of Natural History LUOMUS is looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher in ecology and evolutionary biology to join Plant Adaptation and Conservation (PAC) group. ...
Postdoctoral Researcher, Carbon Action, University of Helsinki, Finland, about 13 hours ago
The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry at the University of Helsinki invites applications for the position of a POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER to work in research projects tightly connected to Finnish C...