The University of Oulu is an international science university creating new knowledge, well-being and innovation for the future through multidisciplinary research and education. Close cooperation with research institutes, companies and the public sector has created an internationally significant research and innovation hub that has changed the world. Every day 2.6 billion people use technology developed in Oulu. In addition, the university’s multidisciplinary scientific structure offers unique possibilities for path breaking research. For more information, please visit http://www.oulu.fi/english
The following job is open in the University of Oulu
Professor in Software Engineering
Job Description and Location
The M3S (Empirical Software Engineering in Software, Systems and Services) research unit (http ://www.oulu.fi/m3s) in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (ITEE, http://www.oulu.fi/itee/) at the University of Oulu, Finland, is offering a permanent full Professor position.
The professor position is in the field of software engineering at the University of Oulu focus area “Digital solutions in sensing and interactions ” https://www.oulu.fi/university/focusarea/digitalization-and-smart-society ”. We see Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, 5G and other evolving communication technologies as the key drivers of digitalization. These key drivers are all heavily based on software. In this context, we anticipate future information infrastructures to consist of large numbers of connected wireless sensors and intelligent user interfaces embedded into the environment, resulting in intertwined real and virtual worlds. These developments challenge current software engineering practice due the increasing role of software in massive distributed heterogeneous systems. This call is for novel methods and tools for designing, implementing and managing intelligent software, systems and services. Special attention is required to empirical validation of these methods and tools in realistic use in order to guarantee the impact of research contributions.
The M3S research unit and the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering offer excellent cooperation opportunities with world-class research units on software engineering, sensing, embedded technologies, wireless communications, Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, data-intensive services, and human- machine interaction. Moreover, M3S and the faculty have a long tradition in generating research impact through close collaboration with companies. There are hundreds of ICT companies in the Oulu Region, including numerous university spin-offs. An agile large-scale research-to-business model (www.hilla.center) and company cooperation ecosystems (www.analytics.plus, www.superiot.fi) are also accessible to researchers.
The M3S research unit has a long tradition in industrial and international collaboration and has actively participated in large European research projects since the 1990s. Over 30% of the research unit comprises of international members. Members of the research unit have published their research in leading software engineering journals and conferences, e.g., IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, IEEE Software, Empirical Software Engineering, Information and Software Technology, Journal of Systems and Software, and the International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE).
Successful applicants will carry out their research and education in software engineering while focusing on one or more of the following:
- Empirical software engineering
- Predictive Models and Data Analytics
- Behavioral and Human Factors in software engineering
- Test-Driven Development
In addition, strong applicants in the following areas will be considered
- Software and systems development methods, processes and tools
- Agile and Lean software development
- Requirements engineering
- Software and systems architectures
- Software and systems testing, quality, safety, security, privacy and trust
- Software evolution and maintenance
- Novel software-based solutions in AI, IoT, 5G and data analytics
- Automotive software engineering
- e-Health systems and services
- Enterprise systems
Responsibilities, Required Qualifications and Benefits
Qualifications for successful candidate include a doctoral degree, high quality scientific competence, experience in supervising scientific research, ability to give high quality education based on research and supervision of doctoral theses, as well as evidence of international collaboration in his/her field of research and training (see section 33, Universities’ Act https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset/2009/20090558).
When assessing the applicant’s merits, issues taken into consideration include scientific publications and other research achievements, teaching experience, pedagogical training and other teaching merits. In addition, the applicant’s activity in the scientific community, practical familiarity within the field concerned, and success in acquiring domestic and international research funding, scientific work abroad and other international activities will be taken into consideration.
Language proficiency requirements are defined in Government Decree on Universities (770/2009 https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset/2009/20090558). For university teaching and research positions in Finland. Teaching may also be given in English.
What we offer
- You will become a part of a highly talented research group, working on strategically and globally significant research area
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as affordable sport services and salary payments for 12 months / year.
- The salary will be based on the levels 8 – 10 of the demand level chart for teaching and research personnel of the salary system of Finnish Universities. In addition to the basic salary, supplementary salary will be given for personal achievement and performance, the sum rising to a maximum of 50 % of the basic salary level for the post.
- Other benefits: Finland is one of the most livable countries, with a high quality of life, safety, excellent education system, and competitive economy. The successful candidate will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare services.
Applications, including attachments, should be submitted using the electronic application form by November 15, 2020, 23:59 (Finnish local time). Applications sent by email will not be considered.
1) Curriculum vitae in English following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (tutkimuseettinen neuvottelukunta). The guidelines are available at https://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
2) A motivation letter with a brief research and action plan in English with a special emphasis on how the plan benefits the above-mentioned focus areas of the faculty and university (max 3 pages);
3) Teaching merits of relevance to the post concerned should be presented in the form of a teaching portfolio or comparable document;
4) Publications deemed relevant to the position (max 10);
5) A complete list of publications classified as follows: (1) articles in international peer-reviewed journals, (2) articles in international peer-reviewed volumes of scientific significance and articles in peer-reviewed conference proceedings, and (3) other publications;
6) Contact information for three references
The dean will nominate a recruiting committee to take care of the evaluation process. As proposed by the recruiting committee the research council of the university has appointed minimum two reviewers to be consulted regarding the selection process. When selecting the experts, the respective specializations of the applicants in the field are taken into consideration, and general fairness is observed otherwise as well. The applicants are informed about the selection of the experts.
Interview and proposal by the recruitment committee
The recruiting committee analyses the reviewers´ evaluations, interviews the suitable candidates and makes the proposal for appointment.
The position is scheduled to be filled as of April 1, 2021 or as agreed, and it is subject to a six-month trial period.
Based on the proposal by the recruiting committee the dean will make his proposition to the vice rector, who in turn will make the nomination to the post.
For further information regarding this position, please contact:
Professor Markku Oivo
Head of M3S Research Unit
Empirical Software Engineering in Software, Systems and Services
University of Oulu
P.O. Box 4500, 90014 University of Oulu, Finland Email: markku.oivo(at)oulu.fi
Mobile +358 40 8227702
Questions concerning the application process and its schedule:
Laila Kuhalampi, HR Manager
Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
University of Oulu
P.O. Box 4500, 90014 University of Oulu, Finland
University Law (558/2009) and Statute (770/2009); University of Oulu administration rules and regulations (23.11.2015).
The City of Oulu is Northern Finland’s largest and oldest city, with a population of over 200,000. Located in the Gulf of Bothnia in the Oulu River delta, the city has good access from anywhere. Oulu is an easy-going and family friendly community with very high quality of life. This modern city with a beautiful harbour and market area offers plenty of cultural activities as well as opportunities for exploring the northern nature. Open space and parks can be found all along the Oulu River and throughout the area and they are easily accessed by bike – the favourite mode of transport in Oulu. There is an entire range of outdoor and sports facilities to choose from, not forgetting Finland’s biggest spectator sport, ice hockey. Winter is a season that is highly celebrated and lit bike trails and bridges bring the city alive. As the world’s northernmost tech hub, Oulu has a highly educated and innovative workforce and the University has a strong role in the community. Oulu is a marvelous place to live, work and enjoy a vibrant academic community. Welcome to the home of science with Arctic Attitude! https://www.oulu.fi/university/living-in-oulu
Project Researcher, University of Oulu, Finland, 19 days ago
The University of Oulu is an international science university creating new knowledge, well-being and innovation for the future through multidisciplinary research and education. The University of O...
Junior Researcher In Sustainable Water Treatment Technologies, LUT University, Finland, 11 days ago
The Department of Separation Science at the LUT School of Engineering Science is looking for a junior researcher in sustainable water treatment technologies using novel bio- and nano-materials. T...
Senior Lecturer, In Sport Sciences, Especially In Sport Pedagogy, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 26 days ago
The Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences is currently seeking candidates for Senior Lecturer, in Sport Sciences, especially in Motor Learning and Sport Pedagogy, for a fixed period of 1.1.2021 - ...
A Professor Position, In The Field Of Sports And Exercise Medicine, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 25 days ago
The Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences is currently seeking candidates for a Professor position,in the field of sports and exercise medicine, from 1 March 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter...
Tenure Track Assistant Professors In Computer Science, Aalto University, Findland, about 15 hours ago
The Department of Computer Science at Aalto University – in the top-20 young universities worldwide – invites applications for tenure-track positions at the Assistant Professor level. The Departme...
Staff Scientist, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 26 days ago
The Department of Physics is currently seeking to recruit a candidate to the position of STAFF SCIENTIST The position starts on 2 January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter in effect until fu...