We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international research community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility, and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can thrive, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university's specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts across various fields.
We are now looking for
a Professor in Cognitive Psychology.
The position will be filled from January 2023 or as soon as possible after this. The position is placed in the Faculty of Education at the University of Oulu. The new Professor of Cognitive Psychology will develop and lead research and teaching in psychology in the field of the open position and is expected to build international contacts and collaborative scientific networks. Furthermore, the task includes acquiring external research funding, thesis supervision in different levels of study especially doctoral students, and administrative duties.
The area of the open position
The position is in cognitive psychology, embedded within the vibrant and fast-growing Psychology Research Center. We search for a candidate with a strong track record in experimental research and publication profile focused on quantitative empirical research. We are looking for an internationally renowned scholar with a distinguished research profile. The scholar in cognitive psychology will foster the experimental, quantitative research tradition of the discipline and the newly established psychology degree program, together with a team of recently appointed professors and research and teaching staff.
Requirements and evaluation
The successful candidate is required to have
- a doctoral degree in psychology, or a doctoral degree in philosophy (i.e. PhD) majoring in psychology,
- a strong track record in conducting outstanding and highly visible international scientific research in the area of the position with a publication profile focused on quantitative experimental research (documented e.g., by publications in respected international journals),
- experience in supervising doctoral students,
- experience in leading independent high-profile research as well as,
- proof of efficient acquisition of significant external research funding,
- merits in international collaboration (e.g. international scientific collaborative networks supporting the research in the area of the application, scientific work abroad).
In addition to the above-mentioned requirements, the following merits will be considered:
In addition to the above, experience in administrative duties and academic leadership roles, teaching skills (e.g. teaching experience, pedagogical training, teaching awards) will be taken into consideration to assess the applicant’s merits.
The language proficiency requirements are defined in the Government Decree on Universities (770/2009). For university teaching and research positions in Finland, a full command of the teaching language, Finnish or Swedish, is required. The teaching language at the University of Oulu is Finnish, and the degrees are awarded in Finnish. Teaching may also be given in English. If the successful applicant is not proficient in Finnish, he or she is expected to acquire moderate proficiency within two years after the selection, as this is essential for the professor’s duties as well as for integration into the workplace and Finnish society.
University of Oulu as a research context
The University of Oulu has strong research support services in addition to modern research facilities withing the faculty (e.g., LEAF research infrastructure and a newly established eye-movement lab in psychology). Information on research infrastructures at different faculties at the University of Oulu you may find here .
Salary and benefits
We offer personnel benefits such as affordable sport services and salary payments for 12.5 months / year. A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system for teaching and research personnel: level 8 - 10. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). The typical range for a Professor’s salary is approx. 5800 € - 7600 € per month (before taxes). For more information on the salary system at Finnish universities, you may find here . The position is permanent starting 1st of January 2023, or as soon as possible thereafter. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
You will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will also receive benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare services.
About the city of Oulu, Finland
Oulu has a safe and clean environment, low cost of living, well-functioning public transport, and easy access to nature. Oulu is also known for its highly educated people, vivid cultural life, modern technology, and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. There are a publicly funded Oulu International School (https://www.ouka.fi/oulu/Oulu-International-School) and a high school IB Diploma program that offer internationally recognized free education in English (https://lyseo.edu.ouka.fi/cms7/en/ib). More information about Oulu: https://visitoulu.fi/en/ and https://www.ouka.fi/oulu/english
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 5th June, 2022. The application should be written in English and the following information needs to be included:
1) an Application letter with contact information
2) a Curriculum vitae following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (tutkimuseettinen neuvottelukunta). The guidelines are available at http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae and a template at http://www.tenk.fi/sites/tenk.fi/files/CV_english_270613.pdf .
3) Complete list of publications, marking the ten most important ones related to the area of the open position. The complete list of publications is compiled in accordance with the guidelines of the Academy of Finland (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/ ).
4) a Brief account of research merits as well as a short description on how the applicant’s research would benefit the psychology degree program (max 2 page)
5) a Brief account of teaching merits or a teaching portfolio (max 2 pages)
6) Acquisition of research funds
7) Applicant’s vision how to renovate this field of science, a brief research and action plan and a plan for developing teaching in this area (max 3 pages). In this document, the applicant should describe what are their future-plans for research and how they would move the field of cognitive psychology forward, and what they find important in teaching cognitive psychology in the psychology degree program.
8) Copies of degree certificates
The selection process follows the University of Oulu recruitment guidelines. The process is carried out by a recruitment committee and the candidates are subjected to publication analyses based on their publication lists.
The Vice Rector of education will send an invitation to three (3) external reviewers approved by the university’s research committee to be consulted regarding the appointment process. When selecting the reviewers, the respective specializations of the applicants in the field are taken into consideration, and general fairness is observed in other respects as well.
The applicants are informed about the selection of the reviewers.
Based on an assessment of the applicants’ merits, the recruitment committee can at its discretion limit the number of applicants to be subjected to evaluation by the external reviewers.
Demonstration Lecture and Interview
The recruitment committee will interview the applicants that they consider best and make arrangements for any demonstration lectures that may be deemed necessary.
The Dean will make a proposition on the basis of the proposition of the recruitment committee and submit it, justifications and attachments included, to the rector of the university, who will make the decision on the employment of the successful applicant.
Further information and enquiries
Professor of Psychology, Mirka Hintsanen, +358 50 569 5243, mirka.hintsanen(at)oulu.fi,
HR manager, Emilia Vuoti, +358 50 375 8055, emilia.vuoti(at)oulu.fi
University Lecturer In Population Genomics And Bioinformatics, University of Oulu, Finland, 28 days ago
We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international research community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers t...
Specialist, Datamanager, Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke), Finland, 11 days ago
Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke) is a research organisation working to promote bioeconomy and sustainable use of natural resources. We provide solutions and services to our customers bas...
Spanish Language, University Lecturer, UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, Finland, 11 days ago
The Faculty of Arts invites applications to the Department of Languages for the position of UNIVERSITY LECTURER IN SPANISH LANGUAGE into fixed-term employment from August 22, 2022 to June 16, 2023...
Associate Professor Or Professor In Coastal Ecology, UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, Finland, 29 days ago
The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities and ranks among the top 100...
Professorship In German Language, UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, Finland, 11 days ago
The University of Helsinki is the oldest and largest science university in Finland, an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. In international university rankings, ...
Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / Professor In Dogmatics, UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
The University of Helsinki – Among the best in the world! The University of Helsinki, founded in 1640, is among the leading multidisciplinary research universities in the world. The University is ...