6G-Solutions and Responsible Innovations for the Future Sustainable Society (6G-FSS) is one of the three new research themes supported by the Academy of Finland Profi6 funding (2021-2026) strengthening the strategy of the University of Oulu. 6G-FSS leverages the technological expertise of the 6G Flagship to do world-class interdisciplinary research for a data-driven, hyperconnected future society with democratic healthcare and energy-thrifty power systems. New connectivity-based technologies form the backbone of future healthcare, which enable the internet of things and individual healthcare services by cloud computing, big data, as well as virtualized, private, and secure individual follow-up and treatment options. Powering the wireless network infrastructures utilizing renewable energy sources is an essential 6G-FSS theme. We have the leading technical expertise of 6G Flagship together with strong expertise in digital health and sustainable energy systems . We have close cooperation with the vibrant OuluHealth ecosystem and the healthcare providers of the City of Oulu, the Oulu University Hospital , and the Future Hospital 2030 project with unique AI, data and wireless solutions. The University of Oulu is surrounded by several research centers and industrial partners enabling active research cooperation. 6G-FSS is a multidisciplinary research theme including four faculties (Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Technology and Oulu Business School) and over 400 Principal Investigators.
We are looking for a highly talented scientist to bring world-class expertise to one of the following research areas of 6G-FSS:
6G-FSS1: Citizen-centered health data solutions
6G-FSS2: Ubiquitous digital care pathways and service models in secure and intelligent environments
6G-FSS3: Future AI-tailored wireless hospital
6G-FSS4: Sustainable energy systems empowering users with digital services
6G-FSS5: Energy efficiency of digitally enabled user-centric systems
What we expect
The professor will be a dynamic individual who provides vision, leadership and mentoring in the field of medical, technical, health sciences, natural sciences, or business. As a Professor, you are required to have a doctoral degree, high-quality scientific qualifications, and experience of leading scientific research. You have the ability to provide high-quality teaching based on research and to supervise thesis work. In addition to this, you to have the skills to act as an academic leader.
The position will be based at one of the above-mentioned faculties; the relevant host faculty will be identified based on the specific research area and the successful applicant’s expertise. We expect the candidate to demonstrate interdisciplinary capabilities. Experience of transdisciplinary cooperation across disciplines is highly appreciated. Furthermore, we expect the candidate to demonstrate how to develop/utilize one or several of the following research topics in the 6G-FSS subthemes:
6G-FSS1, Citizen-centered health data solutions: Future society calls for a paradigm shift towards sustainable intelligent citizen-centered proactive and predictive healthcare. Rapid development of digital technologies creates opportunities of combining intelligent interactive digital processes, which need to be ensured with evidence-based research.
- Creating new approaches in the development of preventive and predictive, personalized digital processes and solutions.
- Evaluating the impact of citizen generated health data on person’s health, lifestyles, and adherence to the self-care.
- Developing business models for citizen centered proactive and predictive healthcare.
Further information concerning the 6G-FSS1 research theme: Professor Maritta Perälä-Heape, Centre for Health and Technology, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Professor Petri Ahokangas, Martti Ahtisaari Institute, email@example.com
6G-FSS2, Ubiquitous digital care pathways and service models in secure and intelligent environments: The aim is to develop advanced digital care pathways between patients and primary healthcare, hospitals and virtual healthcare services, which facilitate efficient participation and extended communication with patients and healthcare professionals on different levels with enhanced security, privacy and trust, quality and reliability of various smart environments and digital applications and healthcare services.
- Using novel digital services for information management of preventive healthcare to improve person’s health, promote selfcare, and to improve efficiency and effectiveness of healthcare, and generation of new value.
- Finding new opportunities and outcomes of secure digital care pathways, service models and novel healthcare technology.
- Utilizing 5G/6G technologies for information flows in the secure, accurate and reliable healthcare systems.
Further information concerning the 6G-FSS2 research theme: Adjunct Professor Matti Hämäläinen, CWC-Networks and Systems, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Professor Miia Turpeinen, Finnish Coordinating Center for Health Technology Assessment, email@example.com
6G-FSS3, Future AI-tailored wireless hospital: Intends to produce advanced digital solutions for clinical applications (diagnostic, treatment, and follow-up methods) in the future intelligent hospital by applying edge computing, machine learning, impact analysis and health technology assessment.
- Enabling precision medicine and advanced therapies based on AI-augmented diagnostics and instantaneous point of care delivery of health information.
- Ensuring wireless networks and virtual healthcare services in trustful and secure environments.
- Making information flows timelier by using 5G/6G technologies.
- Facilitating data mining from hospital’s medical records and/or data pools.
Further information concerning the 6G-FSS3 research theme: Professor Jarmo Reponen, Research Unit of Medical Imaging, Physics and Technology, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Professor Simo Saarakkala, Research Unit of Medical Imaging, Physics and Technology, email@example.com
6G-FSS4, Sustainable energy systems empowering users with digital services: Distribution grids are being transformed from passive to active distribution networks, with enhanced capacity for integration of renewable and flexible energy source, especially significant in remote and developing areas. The bottlenecks are lack of distributed communications, grid control and energy trading solutions, sustainable business models and ensuring consumer engagement.
- Developing advanced digital solutions and 6G energy services, which facilitate consumer participation, and ensure enhanced security, quality and reliability of energy and digital services.
- Integrating digital solutions to energy systems to facilitate flexibility and sustainability.
- Linking sustainability of energy systems to climate and energy policies, especially the aim of climate neutrality
Further information concerning the 6G-FSS4 research theme: Professor Eva Pongracz, Water, Energy, and Environmental Engineering, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Assistant Professor Hirley Alves, CWC-Radio Technologies, email@example.com ; Professor Maria Kopsakangas-Savolainen, Oulu University Business School, firstname.lastname@example.org
6G-FSS5, Energy efficiency of digitally enabled user-centric systems: the theme develops energy-thrifty systems and energy harvesting where the continuous reliance on power cables or charging/changing batteries can be overcome. The theme is linked to the development of the e.g. eHealth sensor devices and data gathered from those with the 6G flagship research.
- Applying designed and manufactured systems keeping sustainability, i.e., overall energy consumption, energy-efficient edge computing and wireless connectivity, material usage and environmental friendliness, as a high priority.
- Creating overall sustainability from materials to data management through component and radio design, their manufacturing, data collection, transfer, and handling.
- Developing digital solutions to enable active user engagement in future sustainable energy communities
Further information concerning the 6G-FSS5 research theme: Professor Heli Jantunen, Microelectronics Research Unit, email@example.com ; Professor Aarno Pärssinen, CWC-Radio Technologies, firstname.lastname@example.org , Professor Osmo Tervonen, Research Unit of Medical Imaging, Physics and Technology, email@example.com
What we offer
We offer a stimulating and versatile position and the possibility to develop professionally with the help of an experienced and enthusiastic team. In addition, the professor position includes one postdoctoral (5-yr) researcher and one PhD student (4-yr) funded by the 6G-FSS theme. Furthermore, we offer the development opportunities of a big organisation with flexible working hours, excellent work-life balance, and occupational healthcare services.
Finnish government provides benefits to residents and their families, for example possibility to the national healthcare system and high-quality affordable childcare and school services.
Terms of employment
The position is permanent, starting 1st of January 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter. A trial period of 6 months is applied in the position.
The salary will be based on the levels 8-9 of the demand level chart for teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component). The starting EUR salary is approximately €6000 - 7200 per month (before taxes). Regular salary is paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer. In addition to the salary, the employed person will be insured by the university and provided occupational healthcare.
Applications and selection process
Apply online by Wednesday, June 2, 2021.
Please include the following attachments in your application in English and in the pdf file format:
1) A motivation letter with contact information.
2) Curriculum vitae following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. The guidelines and template are available at https://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
3) A complete list of publications preferably with DOI identifications, with the ten most important ones marked, following the guidelines of the Academy of Finland: https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/
4) Brief account of research merits (max 1 page)
5) Brief account of teaching merits or a teaching portfolio (max 2 pages)
6) Details regarding acquisition of research funds (max 2 pages)
7) Research and action plan (max 2 pages)
8) Contact details of 2 to 4 persons available for recommendation.
The selection process follows the University of Oulu recruitment guidelines. The process is carried out by a recruitment committee and the candidates are subjected to publication analyses based on their publication lists. The candidates that are considered most suitable by the recruitment committee will also undergo an expert evaluation, assessing the following merits:
- Scientific activities and their reflection in the publication record, scientific presentations, and other recognitions, e.g. awards and patents
- Teaching activities and their evaluation (teaching portfolio; including student’s evaluation)
- Supervision of diploma and doctoral students
- Acquisition of competitive research funds
- International scientific activities and contacts
- Services for the academic community
- Academic and societal relevance and potential of activities
In this key position, the recruited candidate is also expected to reach top scores (5-6 on a scale from 1 to 6 for scientific activity and as the overall score), to be recruited.
Further information and enquiries:
Professor Johanna Uusimaa, 6G-FSS director, PEDEGO Research Unit, firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Ari Pouttu, 6G-FSS vice-director, CWC-Networks and Systems, email@example.com
Concerning application process and practical arrangements:
6G-FSS Coordinator Anne Mäkelä, firstname.lastname@example.org , Mobile: +35850 3505867
About Finland and the City of Oulu: For the fourth year in a row, Finland has been evaluated as the world's happiest country according to the UN-sponsored World Happiness Report survey data. The capital of Northern Finland, the City of Oulu, is a combination of beautiful, northern nature, vivid cultural life, and modern technology. The city is also known for its highly educated people and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. The residents of Oulu enjoy the high standard of living Finland is known for, while the cost of living is still affordable in national comparison. The Oulu region is home to over 200 000 people making it the largest urban centre in northern Nordics and one of the fastest growing regions in Finland. Find out more about Oulu: https://www.oulu.fi/university/living-in-oulu
6G Flagship https://www.oulu.fi/6gflagship/
Arctic Interactions https://www.oulu.fi/en/arctic-interactions
DigiHealth Hub https://www.oulu.fi/cht/digihealthhub
Digital Health https://www.oulu.fi/en/creating-better-health-our-digital-health-knowhow
Energy and Environmental Engineering https://www.oulu.fi/energy/
Oulu University Hospital https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-7lceBnqnWg
Research in the University of Oulu https://www.oulu.fi/en/research/top-research
Junior Scientist (M/F/D) In The Field Of 6 G Reflective Intelligent Surfaces, AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Austria, 8 days ago
We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner ...
Chair Professor/Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor In Artificial Intelligence And Future Networks , BNU-HKBU United International College (UIC) ;, China, 27 days ago
Beijing Normal University (BNU) and BNU-HKBU United International College (UIC) invite international talents to be a member of our team and to shape the education landscape together in Greater Bay...
Tenure Track Position In International Management, University of Vaasa, Finland, 15 days ago
At the University of Vaasa we have an open mind and we want to build a sustainable future. We are a university that invests in high-quality research and teaching and takes on the challenges of ou...
Associate Professor Or Assistant Professor (Gamification), 4 Positions (# Of Pos: 4), Tampere University, Finland, 26 days ago
Tampere University and Tampere University of Applied Sciences create a unique environment for multidisciplinary, inspirational and high-impact research and education. Our universities community ha...
Research Professor, Guidance Research, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 25 days ago
The Finnish Institute for Educational Research is currently seeking to recruit a candidate for a permanent position of Research Professor in guidance research, starting on the 3rd of January 2022...
Assistant Or Associate Professor (1 2), Tenure Track, Information System Science, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 10 days ago
The Faculty of Information technology is recruiting 1-2 tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor(s) in Information System Science The position will be filled from January 1st, 2022 or as soon...