We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated researcher in medical genetics and diagnostics, molecular medicine, and/or clinical research or related fields to join an interdisciplinary research group formed through the ERA Chair project Center for Genomics, Evolution and Medicine (cGEM) at the University of Tartu, Estonia. This group, led by cGEM ERA Chair Dr Anders Eriksson, was recently formed with the goal to bridge the fields of bioinformatics, evolutionary biology and genomic medicine. These fields have each undergone explosive growth thanks to recent theoretical and technological advances, but there is a lag in interdisciplinary research, which also contributes to the difficulties in translating basic research results into clinical practice and viable science-based business ideas. The main task of the research group is to unlock and promote synergy both in terms of advancing basic science and technology, and delivering research results that cross the boundaries of established research directions, thereby creating a new frontier of science at the host institution. To this end, the research in the cGEM ERA Chair group will be focussed on combining tools and data from different disciplines to gain insights into the genetic variation, regulatory mechanisms for gene expression and gene-environment interactions responsible for variation in complex human traits and susceptibility to disease within and between and populations, and translating these insights into clinical practise and collaboration with industry.
The cGEM ERA Chair group offers unique opportunities for this research as it is tightly integrated with the Institutes of Genomics (IG) and Clinical Medicine (ICM) at the University of Tartu, with a vibrant and internationally recognised research community and unique resources such as the Estonian national biobank containing 200,000 samples with matching genetic, physiological and health information, a global biobank of over 25,000 human DNA samples from hundreds of populations, as well as modern facilities and equipment, including High Performance Computing cluster (hpc.ut.ee), high-throughput sequencing, ancient DNA facilities, and processing of sample tissue, blood and cell cultures. In addition, the secured funding allows to hire one Junior Research Fellow and one PhD student working under the supervision of the successful applicant.
The main responsibilities of the post hold will be to carry out research and development in medical genetics/genomics and diagnostics, molecular medicine, and/or clinical research or related fields; to work with the other members of the groups to unlock synergy between large scale population-based biobank, computational genomics, population and medical genetics in genomics guided evolutionary medicine; and to supervise Junior Research Fellows and PhD students in the group. The post holder will also have an essential role together with the cGEM group leader, PI and the Project Management Board in the selection process during recruitment of Junior Research Fellows and PhD students.
The main tasks of this position are:
• Research, development and creative (RDC) activities in medical genetics/genomics and diagnostics, molecular medicine, and/or clinical research or related fields, at least 70% of working time.
• High-level RDC activities, including directing RDC activities in the research theme, taking care that necessary resources are available for it, and taking responsibility for the performance of RDC activities.
• Internationally recognised research in five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of two doctoral theses.
• Supervision of academic staff members involved in RDC activities.
• Participation in the research-organisational activities of international dimension.
• Development of skills necessary for RDC activities, and professional development.
• Teaching and activities related to the administration and development of teaching, up to 20% of working time.
• Teaching, using modern teaching methods and educational technology; primarily supervision of students, incl. doctoral students.
• Professional development to enhance teaching and supervising skills.
• Activities related to the governance and institutional development of the university, at least 5% of working time.
• Social and public activities, at least 5% of working time.
Postdoctoral Researcher To Study Molecular Mechanisms Of Vascular Disease With Single Cell Resolution, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery (MMK) carries out both preclinical and clinical research within numerous fields. Linked to the department are approximately 450 researchers, postgr...
Postdoctoral Studies In Mds “Omics”, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 12 hours ago
We are seeking a highly motivated and ambitious individual to join the research group of Eva Hellström Lindberg as a Postdoctoral Fellow to further elucidate molecular pathways underlying pathogen...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Retrovirus Host Evolution, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 15 hours ago
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively...
Research Assistant, ETH, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Job Type / Workload Academic: Job 100% Workload 0 weekly jours Industry Education / Culture Functional Area Academic Research / Teaching Salary 0 / Entry date January 1, 1 Region Switzerland - Bas...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Precision Cancer Medicine , Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 12 hours ago
At the Department of Oncology-Pathology basic, translational and clinical research and educational activities related to cancer is carried out. Approximately 300 people from over 40 nations are cu...
PostdocToral ReSearcher, MoLecuLar And InTegRatIve BiosCiences Research ProGramme , University of Helsinki, Belgium, about 17 hours ago
The University of Helsinki is the largest university in Finland, hosting an international academic community of 40,000 students, researchers and staff members. University of Helsinki is also the m...