Duties and responsibilities
The Professor in Applied Technology Studies is expected to develop research and teaching in the specialization of applied technology studies at the University of Tartu.
Requirements for the position include conducting internationally recognized research in applied technology studies with a focus on usage of ICT in developing public and private sector services, scalability of digital services and best practices in service development, impact of technology and empirical usability studies. The professor is required to teach on the same topics at multiple levels of higher education.
The candidates are expected to demonstrate strong scientific competence on topics central to applied technology studies including digitalization of the public sector, technology impact estimation, societal conditions conducive to technology implementation, design and working principles of digital services and the divergence in digitalization needs between the public and private sector and modern quantitative methods.
Additional expectations include competence in Estonian e-state and its comparative development level internationally as well as knowledge of Estonian society.
The Professor is expected to actively pursue international research funding to ensure the sustainability of the group and participate in the work of international consortia and networks in the field.
The Professor is expected to collaborate with research centers based at the Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies, with other units of the University of Tartu, as well as partners and stakeholders in Estonia and abroad.
The Professor in Applied Technology Studies will teach multiple courses at the MA level, and, if necessary, also at the BA and doctoral level. The Professor will supervise students primarily at the MA and PhD level (at least four MA theses per year; defended PhD dissertations every five years).
The Professor is expected to contribute to the development of the Institute’s curricula, including in the capacity of a Program Director, if necessary.
1) Research and development:
- directing R&D activities in the specialization of applied technology studies, ensuring that necessary resources (such as research grants) are available for developing the specialization, assuming responsibility for research productivity in the field;
- directing research themes or projects in applied technology studies and supervising the related work of academic staff;
- internationally recognized research in five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of two doctoral theses;
- participation in research administrative activities internationally, including participation in collaborative networks, serving on the editorial panel of research publications or as a reviewer, work as an expert or evaluator, organizing international research conferences.
2) Teaching and activities related to the administration and development of teaching:
- teaching at all levels of higher education (including at least three courses at the MA level), using modern teaching methods and educational technology);
- supervising students (primarily master’s and doctoral students);
- supporting and training the next generation of academic staff in the field;
- activities related to the administration and development of teaching.
3) Participation in university governance and institutional development, including participation in the work of academic and administrative decision-making bodies and performing at least one managerial task at the university.
4) Social and public activities, including popularisation of the specialisation; initiating projects with the aim of applying specialist knowledge for the benefit of the society; participating in the promotion and implementation of the specialisation at the national and international levels.
More information: job description .
PhD or an equivalent qualification.
- Previous work experience as a Professor, Associate Professor, Research Professor or Senior Research Fellow or in equivalent positions in foreign countries.
- Previous teaching experience at least at the first two level of higher education.
- The candidate is expected to have published internationally recognized research in the field technology studies, the volume of which is equivalent to that of at least three doctoral theses, and have extensive experience in teaching applied technology studies courses (including at the MA level), as well as supervising MA theses and doctoral dissertations.
- Ongoing active engagement in research: internationally recognized research in the last five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of one and half doctoral theses.
- Ability to organize teaching and teach at all levels of higher education.
- Experience in creating study and teaching resources for institutions of higher education.
- Familiarity with modern teaching and learning methods, tools, technologies and environments; ability to use and develop these.
- Ability to direct research and development activity in the specialization, lead a research group and supervise and academic staff.
- Success in applying for research funding and implementing research and development contracts in the last five years.
- Participation in the work of the international community in the specialization, including participation in the work of professional associations or in international research and development projects, serving on the editorial panel of research publications or as a reviewer, work as an expert for national and foreign institutions.
- Experience with leading teams and managing projects.
- Participation in activities related to the promotion and implementation of the specialization at the national or international level.
From 3000 to 3500 € / per month
Additional information on remuneration
Remuneration based on UT salary rules.
Number of vacancies 1
Documents required for applying
Assistant Professor At The Department Of Political Science, MASARYK UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Department: Department of Political Science – Faculty of Social Studies Deadline: 2 Mar 2023 Start date: 1 April 2023 or by agreement Job type: full-time | part-time Job field: Science and resear...
Assistant Professor At The Department Of Political Science , Masaryk University, Czech, 1 day ago
MASARYK UNIVERSITY The Dean of Faculty of Social Studies OPENS A POSITION of Assistant professor at the Department of Political Science Working time: full time Start date: ...
Professor Electrical Engineering: Electromagnetic Risk Management For…, KU Leuven, Belgium, 18 days ago
Professor Electrical engineering: Electromagnetic risk management for dependable interconnected mechatronic systems (ref. ZAP-2022-5) Last modification : Tuesday, November 15, 2022 There is a vaca...
Associate Professor In Human Work Sciences, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, 4 days ago
Luleå University of Technology experiences rapid growth with world-leading expertise within several research domains. We shape the future through innovative education and groundbreaking research r...
Professor In Industrial & Systems Engineering (Ref. Zap 2022 99)…, KU Leuven, Belgium, 12 days ago
KU Leuven has a vacancy for a full-time (junior or senior) professor in the field of Industrial and systems engineering. We are looking for internationally oriented candidates with a strong orient...
Professor/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor In Industrial And Systems Engineering, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Description Open Rank Faculty - Industrial and Systems Engineering The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, which is an academic unit within the College of Engineering, offers four de...