Duties and responsibilities
As an ERA Chair holder you will be pursuing the following goals to advance your career and inspire colleagues
- Establishing and leading a cutting edge and internationally recognized research team in Computational Imaging.
- Building upon and expanding on existing competencies in UTartu, cooperating with other research teams.
- Turning fundamental research into applicable solutions and cooperating with industry.
- Initiating and executing innovative research strategies and projects for the research unit.
- Attracting new team members and inspiring partners in both research and industry.
- Teaching and improving existing curricula in UTartu by introducing new courses in photonics and imaging technologies.
- Supervising post-docs and PhD students.
- Writing proposals and attracting funding on national, European, and international levels.
- Ensuring sufficient outreach by the team to make research understandable to the general public, as well as to industry and policymakers.
See also job description .
PhD in physics or a similar field or equivalent qualification.
See also requirements for teaching and research staff .
- Internationally renowned research in the field of computational imaging, photonics, image processing, computer science or light-based imaging techniques, that includes
- 3+ years of postdoctoral experience in an R&D institution (or equivalent industry experience);
- publications in high impact journals, including publications as lead author (constituting at least the volume of two doctoral theses).
- High proficiency in research planning and management.
- Proven track of raising private or public research funding.
- Advanced teaching and coordination experience at postgraduate and doctoral levels.
Required language skills
Proficiency in English.
Starting at 01.11.2021, temporary contract to 30.06.2025.
Salary: Internationally competitive and motivating salary based on previous experience.
See also UT salary rules .
Project web site: cpci.voog.com/
About university of Tartu: www.ut.ee/en/welcome
About Estonia: www.workinestonia.com/
Project coordinator Kenneth Tuul, MSc email@example.com .
Computational imaging is a rapidly evolving subfield of photonics, which has applications in microscopy, medicine, robotics, remote sensing and astronomy. The range of applications increases with advances in sensor technology, computer algorithms and on-board computing capacity. Computational imaging uses computational methods to enhance the image quality, modalities, resolution or add a spatial dimension to the image beyond the physical or technical limits of the imaging system. By nature, the research is interdisciplinary and embraces the extensive competence of the University of Tartu in optics, spectroscopy, mathematics, computer science and their applications. The field of computational imaging falls under photonics – an application-oriented science of light, which belongs to the Key Enabling Technologies of the European Commission.
What we offer
We offer a career opportunity in the field of photonics and computational imaging. By accepting the challenge, you will establish your own interdisciplinary research group and work with the modern imaging challenges combining the science of light and computer science. In addition to top-notch research, you will develop courses in photonics and lead applied research projects together with industry.
Funding for the Chair holder and the research team is granted in the amount of 2.5 M€ for the next 4 years from the Horizon 2020 Widening ERA Chair project. The funding provides a competitive salary and fully funded positions for the team, budget for setting up the lab, office and lab spaces together with access to cutting edge research infrastructure in modern Physicum. For the Chair holder it is a 4 year full time academic position, which can be extended if successful. Indicative team size would be two researchers, two postdocs and 5-6 PhD students.
The ERA Chair holder and the team has the opportunity to work together with existing strong scientific research teams in UTartu in the fields of optics, spectroscopy, machine vision, remote sensing, robotics, mathematics, and informatics. International curricula in the Faculty of Science and Technology await to host courses in photonics and to provide motivated students in return. Estonian’s famous start-up culture and hi-tech companies open new routes for innovation in both local and global scale.
This position has been awarded funding from the H2020 ERA Chairs program grant no 857627, CIPHR
In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must submit to the UT Human Resources Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; employees of the UT should submit their documents via intranet ) following documents:
Number of copies: 1
See also Application documents and notification of results
Web site for additional job details
Assistant Professor In Quantum Science And Technology, McGill University, Canada, 2 days ago
Position Description: We are currently seeking applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in theoretical or experimental quantum science with a focus on qu...
Imaging Data Steward For Vib And Flanders Bio Imaging, VIB, Belgium, about 6 hours ago
About the institute and research infrastructure At VIB it's our mission to conduct pioneering research in life sciences to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of life and to translate ou...
Researcher, Core , University of Gothenburg, Sweden, about 2 hours ago
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 53 500 students and 6 500 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong rese...
Researcher In Intravital Microscopy/Infection Biology (Temporary Employment), Stockholm University, Sweden, 12 days ago
at the Department of Molecular Biosciences, The Wenner-Gren Institute . Closing date: 15 November 2021. The Department of Molecular Biosciences, Wenner-Gren Institute (MBW) conducts experimental b...
Product Development Engineer (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 5 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute of Photonics Technology (Leibniz-IPHT ) offers a position in the Department of Fiber Research and Technology, Working group holographic endoscopy, related to the transfer of ...
Research Technician In The Laboratory Of Leena Ali Ibrahim, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, 6 days ago
A full-time research technician position is available in the laboratory of Leena Ali Ibrahim at KAUST. A major focus of the laboratory is understanding the circuit mechanisms of top-down circuit i...