Reports to: Chemistry Department Chair
Purpose: The primary role of the job holder is to provide technical support of the core instruments in the Department of Chemistry as well as operation of the various Chemistry laboratory courses. Responsibilities include calibration and maintenance of instrumentation, handling and precise documentation of assays and data, preparation of chemical reagents and solutions used in various Chemistry laboratories. The Manager also performs quality control checks of reagents and instrumentation, as well as staff, faculty, and student training, assisting with the analytical chemistry techniques and preparation of their standard operating manuals. In addition, the manager will also assist in instruction of procedure courses and workshops, to which they are assigned as teaching assistants, in facilitating learning activities inside and outside the classroom and the laboratory. In this role, she/he must adhere to the relevant AUC rules and regulations.
- Directs and controls the day to day operations, for one or more of the following areas: organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, analytical/instrumental chemistry, biochemistry, and water analysis, bio-specimen analysis, general lab and/or quality control assurance
- Assists department chair in planning for technical facilities and systems
- Assists department chair in planning budget for labs and technical facilities
- Manages procurement of equipment including submitting requisitions, follow up and receiving of requested equipment and supplies. Recommends equipment highlighting their advantages over other
- Establishes and maintain links with vendors of equipment, supplies and technical services
- Competently translates and validates methodologies from peer-reviewed literature to practical applications
- Develops and maintains laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Develops the strategic agenda and key performance indicators (KPIs) for laboratory performance in coordination with Chemistry chair
- Protects intellectual property in consultation with investigators and Chemistry chair
- Participates in hiring and training of laboratory technicians; ensures competency of staff
- Participates in training of staff, students and may be involved in field work sample collection and testing, if needed
- Participates in instrumentation and training of faculty and student investigators
- Ensures functional operation of the equipment required for both undergraduate and graduate courses taught in the Chemistry department
- Controls costs by monitoring personnel utilization, material usage rates, analyzing fluctuations in types and volumes of tests, and implementing corrective action
- Directs and implements effective safety and risk control processes, as well as training staff, faculty and students in same
- Supports, consults, and participates with facility and regional QA programs to ensure internal and external regulatory compliance and with an eye towards laboratory national and international accreditation certification
- Oversight of Earth (environmental assessment of risk and toxics on health), and personnel in collaboration with Chemistry chair
- Provides support for external academic and industrial partners on a charge-back basis
- Oversees and coordinates operational aspects within various subsections of pre-clinical procedures according to W.H.O., NIOSH Analytical manual
- Troubleshoots and recommends processes to correct problems
- Participates in department, inter-department and inter-facility projects which help the department achieves its goals of providing quality service and research support in a cost-effective manner
- Develops equipment and system needs analysis and justification as appropriate
- Coordinates the integration of laboratory information systems i.e. aiming to install a new lab information system to include analytical instruments (online login sheets and maintenance records), smart chemistry clinic, and Chemistry store
- Interfaces with Chemistry chair to implement and monitor an internal and external complaint/incident program
- Coordinates and implements a safety program to include fire, hazardous wastes, infectious wastes, electrical, chemical
- Coordinates a program of continuing education in the area per OSHA i.e. There is a system to ensure safe working environment, however, there is a need to establish a comprehensive system toensure safe and healthy working conditions for all staff and students in Chemistry. This will include setting and enforcing standards, organization of regular training and outreach programs
- Performs any other related duties as assigned. And teaching
Minimum Education Requirement :
- University degree in a related field
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. holder is an asset
- Minimum eight- ten years of experience in a related field (analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry, polymer chemistry, food chemistry, biochemistry) including three years in a lab setting
- Strong knowledge of sample collection, documentation, and archive
- Strong knowledge of analytical techniques, atomic absorption, inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, GC/MS, infrared spectroscopy, GC, XRD)
- Familiarity with air, water, soil and biospecimen analyses
- Excellent communication skills, a high level of oral and written communication
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic
- High ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Articulate and personable
- Demonstrated Experience with conducting training and/or workshops
- Highly organized with demonstrated ability to be collaborative to compile information, communicate responsibilities and expectations and track progress
- Ability to both take direction and work independently with minimal direction, making independent decisions on assigned tasks, establishing priorities and following through on assignments
- Ability to manage confidential information in the utmost professional manner
- Tech savvy and has the ability to use technology to achieve work goals efficiently and effectively
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities so as to use time efficiently
- Should have flexibility and discretion
The position is open until November 28, 2020
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Chief Specialist In Research Department, Łukasiewicz Research Network – New Chemical Syntheses Institute, Poland, about 22 hours ago
The necessary requirements: - education: higher technical education with the specialty of process equipment or chemical engineering, - at least 5 years of experience in designing the process equip...
Full Professor (W3 Level) In Experimental Chemistry: “Physical Chemistry Of Liquid/Solid Interfaces..., ReSoLVE Center of Excellence, Germany, 13 days ago
_We are one of the youngest universities in Germany and think in terms of opportunities rather than limitations. In the heart of the Ruhr metropolis, we develop ideas with a future. We are strong ...
Professor/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor In Chemistry , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
ABOUT UNIVERSITY Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly int...
Laboratory Specialist, Chemistry, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
DEPARTMENT Department of Chemistry ORGANIZATION NAME College of Arts and Sciences ABOUT UNIVERSITY Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital cit...
Research Engineer, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
Job Description Applied Materials-NUS Advanced Materials Corporate Laboratory has a Research Engineer opening in the field of semiconductor materials design and engineering. We are looking for ent...
Chief Research Specialist Chemical Technologist, Intitute of Industrial Organic Chemistry, Poland, about 9 hours ago
about us: History The Łukasiewicz Research Network - Institute of Organic Industry (Łukasiewicz-IPO) dates back to 1947, when the Institute of Explosives was established within the Central Institu...