Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Purpose: The senior lab technologist will be responsible for the operations and the maintenance of different types of analytical equipment in the two Environmental Assessment of Risks and Toxics on Health (EARTH) laboratories, with the flexibility to participate in other I-GHHE activities associated with environmental and occupational health outcomes and monitoring. The job holder is responsible for setting up and supervising the analytical equipment, sample collection, which may require field work, providing the necessary support for (faculty, staff, graduate students, researchers, teaching assistants, and external clients) including supervising the installation operation and maintenance of lab equipment, setting up and managing the equipment operation schedule, organizing work flow, ensuring lab safety and represent the department in university and school events. They may also be required to teach/train personnel and students through workshops, laboratory exercises, and symposia.
- Ensuring assigned labs’ readiness for any technical task within its predetermined mission
- Operating and maintaining all assigned labs’ assets with proficiency in
- Running trials of the work to establish protocols, particularly those associated with environmental and personal monitoring
- Setting up, conducting, and explaining to all users experiments and protocols in the assigned labs
- Supporting the instructors and researchers in laboratory analyses, and fieldwork
- Assisting faculty lab supervisors in the development of lab manuals and procedures
- Facilitating the projects/research endeavors of the graduate students within the department, other SSE departments and external collaborators, as well as researchers and professors in their research activities/grants and ESS services may include
- Staying up to date and reporting to lab faculty supervisors on new/required developments in fields related to the assigned labs
- Procuring consumables/simple supplies from local market vendors, and performing any required market survey
- Contacting the vendors to get price quotations for any required items
- Maintaining an updated inventory of all lab items (equipment, devices, tools, consumables)
- Organizing the workflow to ensure smooth operation of the lab in supporting instructors, students, and course requirements, while maintaining proper inter-lab relations
- Continuously training students and users external to I-GHHE to maintain competency in using sharable labs assets
- Carrying out various manual tasks using manual tools
- Ensuring safe and clean working environment within the assigned labs and their premises, in coordination with the AUC health and safety department
- Applying safety regulations/precautions, safe work practices, and immediately report any safety violation incident/condition or potential hazards
- Monitoring first aid kits, fire-fighting equipment and safety gears in coordination with the AUC clinic and health and safety department
- Attending and assisting workshops to which they are assigned
- Assisting in recording and/or calculating lab protocols for training tutorials
- Conducting revision, review, and/or standard protocols to optimize efficiency of analyses
- Reporting a daily attendance status for his subordinates/himself
- Perform any other related tasks assigned
Minimum Education Requirement :
BSc in biology, chemistry, biotechnology, environmental science/engineering or related field
MSc in one of these disciplines is a definite plus
At least five years of experience in a related field
- Very good command of English and Arabic (spoken and written)
- Ability to handle various analytical equipment, varied instrumentation for collection, including best practices in laboratory safety and hazard control. Advanced knowledge of computers, software, and network concepts in equipment automation and data collection is highly desirable
- Good background about contemporary methodologies, peer-reviewed literature and practical translation of new methodologies
- Good troubleshooting and fault isolation skills
- Good communication, interpersonal skills and analytical skills
- Time management and planning skills
- Can perform under pressure and within a team
- Ability to train other staff, students and faculty
The position is open until July 25, 2021
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Laboratory Technician, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
ORGANIZATION NAME College of Arts and Sciences ABOUT UNIVERSITY Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE)...
Kaust Solar Center Staff Scientist Solar Cell, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, about 23 hours ago
Position Summary This is a full-time, permanent position at the Staff Scientist level in supporting KAUST Solar Center research activities. The position requires a strong background in solar cell ...
Director Of Makerpsace Coe Makerspace (Job Id #152912), University of Illinois, United States, about 5 hours ago
Director of Makerpsace-COE Makerspace (Job ID #152912) COE/Makerspace 09/27/2021 Description: INTERNAL SEARCH The College of Engineering Administration is currently seeking a Director of Makerspac...
Red Sea Research Center Biological Cultures Technician, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, about 23 hours ago
Position Summary Responsible for the maintenance of the microbial cultures and conducting associated analyses at the Red Sea Research Center. The daily tasks include: cultivation of microorganisms...
Research Scientist, I Healthtech, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, Europe, 21 days ago
Job Description You will work as an integral part of the research institute, overseeing the research operations, as well as taking on a range of administrative duties, including but not limited to...
Food Teaching Lab Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, 7 days ago
This competition is open to all applicants, however, internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consider...