Reports to: Technical Operations Manager and Industrial Liaison
Purpose: The job holder is responsible for supervising the assigned labs, providing the necessary support for (faculty, researchers, teaching assistants, graduate/undergraduate students and external customers); including supervising the installation, operation and maintenance of labs’ equipment , assisting in market surveys for needed vendors contact vendors/suppliers and get price quotations, preparing needed spare parts lists, training activities whenever needed setting up and managing the equipment operation schedule, organizing work flow, ensuring lab safety, maintaining inventory lists, support ESS services projects and representing the department of mechanical engineering in university and school events.
- Ensuring assigned labs’ readiness for any technical task within its predetermined mission
- Operating and maintaining all assigned labs’ assets (machines, equipment, tools, and infrastructure)
- Running trials of the work to be carried out by students prior to the lab session
- Assisting in setting up, conducting, and explaining (to students) experiments in the assigned labs
- Supporting the instructors of the courses listed (Dimensions/Non-Financial)
- Assisting faculty lab supervisors in the development of lab manuals and procedures
- Facilitating the projects/research endeavors of the undergraduate/ graduate students, as well as researchers and professors in their research activities/grants and engineering and science services
- Staying up to date and reporting (to lab faculty supervisors) on new/required developments in fields related to the assigned labs
- Procuring consumables/simple supplies from local market vendors and performing any required market survey
- Contacting the vendors to get price quotations for any required items
- Maintaining an updated inventory of all lab items (equipment, devices, tools, and consumable)
- Organizing the workflow to ensure smooth operation of the lab in supporting instructors, students, and course requirements, while maintaining proper inter-lab relations
- Continuously training subordinates to maintain their competence in using all the labs’ assets
- Carrying out various manual tasks using manual tools (where applicable)
- Ensuring safe and clean working environment within the assigned labs and their premises, in coordination with AUC environmental health and safety with facilities and operations departments
- Applying safety regulations/precautions, safe work practices, and immediately report any safety violation incident/condition or potential hazards
- Monitoring first aid kits, fire-fighting equipment, and safety gears in coordination with the AUC “clinic” and health and safety department
- Reporting a daily attendance status for his subordinates/himself
- Supervising the cleanliness of the lab workplace, equipment, and tools
- Perform any other related duties as assigned
Minimum Education Requirement :
- BSc or MSc degree in mechanical/materials engineering
- At least three-five year of relevant experience
- Good English and Arabic skills
- Good communication skills (in both English and Arabic)
- Good Time management and planning skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good computer skills and working experience with the main Microsoft office software
The position is open untilJune 23, 2021
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Laboratory Safety Specialist, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
ORGANIZATION NAME Khalifa University ABOUT UNIVERSITY Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The Univ...
Hard Services Engineer , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
About University Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly int...
Research And Education Engineer Within The Sensor Engineering Group Of The Faculty Of Science And Engineering At Maastricht University (1.0 Fte, 12 Months With An Option On A Permanent Contract), Maastricht University (UM), Netherlands, 8 days ago
Research within the Sensor Engineering research group of Maastricht University is focused on developing innovative sensor technologies for implementation in diverse fields ranging from medical dia...
Safety Officer (Lexglimos) For The Cms Experiment (Ep Cmx Sci 2021 89 Ld), CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research, Switzerland, 20 days ago
Introduction Are you a self-motivated engineer or applied physicist with experience in safety of large scientific installations, including aspects related to fire safety, electrical distribution (...
Coordinator Smart Optics, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 3 days ago
We are looking for an energetic, motivated, result-driven, practical and team player to be our team member at DCSC. The coordinator for smart optics and opto-mechatronics is an exciting and challe...
Stem Laboratory Manager And Laboratory Safety Compliance Officer, Massbay Community College, United States, 26 days ago
The ideal candidate will join a vibrant and inclusive educational community, and have a desire and ability to work with a diverse population. Key Responsibilities and Duties: Supervises part-time ...