Reports to: Department Chair
Purpose: The primary role of the job holder is to provide technical support of the core instruments in the Physics department as well as operation of the various Physics laboratory courses. The job holder will be responsible for calibration and maintenance of instrumentation, handling and precise documentation of assays and data. Senior lab engineer I also performs quality control checks of reagents and instrumentation, as well as staff, faculty, and student training, assisting with the analytical physics techniques and preparation of their standard operating manuals. In addition, the manager will also assist in instruction of procedure courses and workshops, to which they are assigned as teaching assistants, in facilitating learning activities inside and outside the classroom and the laboratory. In this role, she/he must adhere to the relevant AUC rules and regulations.
- Directs and controls the day-to-day operations for all Physics labs
- Assists department chair in planning for technical facilities and systems
- Assists department chair in planning budget for labs and technical facilities
- Manages procurement of equipment including submitting requisitions, follow up and receiving of requested equipment and supplies. Recommends equipment highlighting their advantages over other
- Establishes and maintain links with vendors of equipment, supplies and technical services
- Develops the analysis of needed equipment and electronic experimental setup/s needed for the electronics, solar energy lab, sensors labs, and automation labs
- Participates in department, interdepartmental and inter-facility projects which help the department achieves its goals of providing quality service and research support in a cost-effective manner
- Ensures functional operation of the equipment required for both undergraduate and graduate courses taught in the Physics department
- Assist, faculty members and Physics students in their research activities and senior projects
- Test and evaluate of the new H/W and S/W equipment
- Preparing, testing and upgrading experimental setups in the electronic Labs
- Stocking and replenishing electronic supplies for the electronics labs
- Repair and test any defected electronic equipment in other physics labs
- Give advice and provide designs to researchers in the department regarding selection or modifying research equipment
- Keep a log for services provided to members of our and other departments in the school
- Assembles experimental circuitry or complete prototype model according to engineering instructions, technical manuals, and knowledge of electronic systems and components
- Recommends changes in circuitry or installation specifications to simplify assembly and maintenance
- Sets up standard test apparatus or devises test equipment and circuitry to conduct functional, operational, environmental, and life tests to evaluate performance and reliability of prototype or Production model
- Adjusts, calibrates, aligns, and modifies circuitry and components and records effects on unit performance
- Perform any additional tasks assigned by the direct supervisor
Minimum Education Requirement :
- University degree in physics or electrical engineering
- Minimum eight to ten years of experience in a related field
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic
- High ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Articulate and personable
- Demonstrated experience with conducting training and/or workshops
- Very good organization skills with demonstrated ability for collaboration to compile information, communicate responsibilities and expectations and track progress
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities so as to use time efficiently
- Should have flexibility and discretion
- Excellent technical skills in building electronic experimental systems and fault diagnostic analysis for different electrician systems
The position is open until July 24, 2021
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Electrical Engineer / Applied Physicist (Te Msc Tm 2021 76 Ld), CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research, Switzerland, 13 days ago
Introduction Join a great team pushing the limits of accelerator-magnet test and measurement, to shape the future of CERN’s large accelerators. Take part! You will join: The Test and Magnetic Meas...
Test And Maintenance Technical Engineer (Sy Epc Oms 2021 101 Ld), CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research, Switzerland, 28 days ago
Introduction Are you a talented electronics technical engineer, passionate about test equipment development and maintenance? Do you have experience with electronics board testing? Are you comforta...
Director Of Makerpsace Coe Makerspace (Job Id #152912), University of Illinois, United States, about 18 hours ago
Director of Makerpsace-COE Makerspace (Job ID #152912) COE/Makerspace 09/27/2021 Description: INTERNAL SEARCH The College of Engineering Administration is currently seeking a Director of Makerspac...
Researcher, Pennsylvania State University, United States, about 15 hours ago
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process . Please do not apply h...
Laboratory Technician, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
ORGANIZATION NAME College of Arts and Sciences ABOUT UNIVERSITY Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE)...
Lab Helper B (Reyes), McGill University, Canada, 3 days ago
Hiring Unit: Department of Biology (Professor Rodrigo Reyes) Position Summary: Assists in performing laboratory test and experiment. Catalogues laboratory material and or equipment. Collects and e...