Reports to: Dean of Students
Purpose: The senior director of athletics is responsible for the overall leadership and management of a diverse set of athletics and recreational programs encouraging a lifelong commitment to health and fitness. In addition, the senior director drives the management of facilities and community engagement. Reporting to the dean of students, the senior director of athletics runs a state-of-the-art facility and strives to maximize the use of the resources to both students and the University at large.
- Leads the development, planning, execution and promotion of a strong intramural, intercollegiate, tournament, and summer camp athletics program
- Develops, maintains, and promotes recreational programs to all members of the University community and external stakeholders
- Develops strategic goals and objectives as well as annual operating objectives ensuring that resources and the annual budget are optimally configured and deployed to achieve the best results in collaboration with the dean of students
- Provides athlete and coach orientation
- Assesses the quality of student satisfaction with athletics programs and recreational use of facilities
- Collaborates with the relevant offices on the recruitment, retention, and scholarships of student-athletes, and on the publicity and reporting of athletic events and results
- Monitors staff performance and development goals, assigns accountabilities and sets objectives
- Manages academies and works to maximize revenues within AUC guidelines for revenue
- Manages and evaluates coaches, ensuring that coach recruitment and retention is of the highest standard
- Mentors team captains; creates a system for fair and equitable team selection
- Develops a system of training in athlete professionalism
- Ensures optimum coach-student relationships
- Provides fiscal management of the athletics office budget
- Oversees athletics facilities management, ensuring that facilities are maintained and equipped for athletic practices, events and competitions
- Creates a healthy and safe emotional environment, free of fear, discrimination, abuse, and harassment
- Prevents or reduces injury by developing strategies for recruiting competent coaches and medical screening
- Ensures that the quality and quantity of medical care available to student-athletes is appropriate for the activities being conducted
- Assumes responsibility for the safety of users of the facilities
- Establishes safety and accident prevention guidelines and procedures
- Recommends in matters of student athlete discipline; establishes standards of dress and conduct for team travel, training and practice rules
- Ensures student compliance with relevant policies, procedures and professional standards
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as recommended by the dean of students
Minimum Education Requirement :
- BA/BSc in a relevant field is required
- Master’s degree, athletic competitive record, coaching experience, is a plus
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in athletics management
- Demonstrated success in managing athletes
- Coaching experience
- Experience with the culture of athletics in Egypt from the governmental to the club level
- Excellent leadership skills; ability to manage and motivate staff from diverse backgrounds and abilities
- Ability to make clear, quick, informed decisions, and be comfortable with decision making even when decisions may be unpopular
- Demonstrated crisis management skills
- Ability to rapidly respond to changes in fluid situations
- Proactive abilities; anticipating issues and pre-empting problems
- Ability to handle large student groups
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Sound judgment when working with potentially explosive situations
- Strong organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Data collection and formatting skills
- Appreciation for documentation and data collection
- Ability to present orally and in writing
- PowerPoint, Google Docs, Box, Dropbox, WhatsApp and other communication platforms
The position is open until February 14, 2021
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Associate Director Athletics Business Operations (External), University of Mississippi, United States, 14 days ago
Definition of Class This position provides financial support for the Athletics Business Office. The incumbent coordinates internal and external financial activities, oversees management of busines...
Manager, Football Player Development, Arizona State University, United States, 10 days ago
65804BR Campus: Tempe Manager SDA Admin Job Description Under the general direction of the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Football, independently manages the development and expansion of S...
(Junior) Lecturer In Strategic Management And Entrepreneurship, Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), Netherlands, 26 days ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic (junior) lecturer and course developer to help strengthen our dynamic, international and diverse teaching environment in the fields of strategy and entrepreneurs...
(Junior) Lecturer In Strategic Management, Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), Netherlands, 26 days ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic (junior) lecturer and course developer to help strengthen our dynamic, international, and diverse teaching environment in the field of strategic management. Cand...
Lecturer In Business Studies, Zuyd University (HZ), Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
We are looking for an experienced, internationally oriented candidate who endorse the importance of good education and is driven to take ownership of the position as higher education lecturer. To ...
Success Coach, Arizona State University, United States, about 21 hours ago
65846BR Off-Campus: Scottsdale EdPlus Success Coach Job Description EdPlus at ASU seeks a highly-motivated, energetic and articulate Success Coach to join our high-performing team in the Success C...