Purpose: Manage the hub for Action and Research in Psychology (HARP), which aims to generate and disseminate psychological knowledge. The hub is a space to conduct research studies, organize educational activities and resources for psychology students, and disseminate psychological knowledge through public events and written communications. The job entails overseeing the physical space of the psychology research labs/rooms, supporting research and educational processes through software and resource libraries, developing departmental publications/communications, and coordinating publicity and logistics of student educational activities and public events.
Research Rooms Management:
- Regularly coordinate with faculty for the re-design and furnishings of the research labs to meet specifications needed for research and experimental needs
- Set up and monitor main lab for research courses usage
- Maintain on-line system for reservations of research rooms for research data collection or meetings
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure efficient operations and quality services for the research rooms and main computer lab
- Maintain procedures related to labs software and hardware usage
- Facilitate lab computer users (faculty and students) with operational support
- Maintain an inventory of the audio-visual equipment and all the computers
- Coordinate maintenance, repair, and installation of lab equipment; maintain warranty and repair records for the lab equipment
- Maintain records for software license agreements; install software; implement the review of software used in the labs to ensure usage is updated and within copyright guidelines; ensure license contracts are budgeted and renewed
- Participate in the department budget planning on a yearly basis for technology related facilities including hardware, software, equipment, and new technologies
- Coordinate with department’s assistant to chair for purchasing of specialized research equipment for faculty research; organize storage of non-computer equipment
- Regularly conduct maintenance of two-way observation mirror rooms including audio equipment
- Set-up portable LCD or internet communication programs for research meetings or lab presentations
- Monitor the department-wide online research participant management system for students to volunteer in research studies
- Maintain annual subscription to online form-building and data collection website
- Support faculty in identifying Web-based research data collection instruments and form-building websites
- Organize research analysis software trainings in coordination with the software companies
- Coordinate faculty seminar series for departmental presentations on faculty and student research development
- Keep track of faculty and student research publications and professional conference presentations to feature content on websites and prepare annual summaries for relevant publications
- Conduct regular reports on individual faculty and departmental research outputs
- Maintain confidential locked storage spaces for handling raw data from research studies
- Handle disposal of old research materials or data using environmentally friendly shredding and recycling, or coordinate IT support for erasure of confidential computer files
- Regularly meet with the HARP faculty coordinator to establish priorities as well as develop research and/or educational activities for students and/or faculty or other events
Research and Educational Resources:
- Coordinate with faculty and department’s assistant to chair the planning and purchasing of teaching and research resources and materials
- Organize library of psychological reading resources, reference texts, and software manuals; regularly update database of print materials
- Organize, keep inventory of, and manage check-out procedures for educational/ research resources including class experiment tools, demonstration materials, academic games, classroom activities
- Facilitate access to on-line academic educational resources subscriptions
- Develop student career and professional development resource library
- Regularly update the psychology online NGO tool kit with new materials submitted by faculty and students
- Support faculty in developing Web-based databases of educational resources such as database of community partners, referral Website for counseling MA graduates
- Develop student educational and research-focused events and activities in coordination with the HARP faculty coordinator
- Organize and publicize department research presentations, lectures, workshops, and conferences in coordination with HARP faculty coordinator, department assistant to chair, HUSS communication officer, the office of University Communication
- Organize research conferences and public events for courses
- Offer technical and design support for faculty and course-based public awareness and media campaigns related to psychology
- Participate in the organization committees for public events or multi-day conferences; document meeting minutes
- Coordinate with other offices and entities key tasks of conferences or public events including room reservations; catering, audio-visuals, room set-up, transportation
- Coordinate with external companies or entities conference organizing tasks such as simultaneous translation, entertainment, external catering, venue reservations
- Develop semiannual departmental newsletter and periodic special publications or reports, coordinate content of publications with faculty and students, disseminate publications to wider audience
- Design and distribute publicity materials for departmental events including e-mail announcements, notices in the University events calendar, student portal messages, fliers, posters
- Develop promotional materials for graduate program recruitment and masters’ thesis related events
- Monitor events and accomplishments in the department to relay suggested announcements or stories to HUSS communication and the University communication, and to update the Website
- Coordinate with Communication office media releases and communication with external media
- Develop and regularly update the Psychology Department website in coordination with the Communication Office and the UACT
- Oversee activities of work study and student volunteers who support with the above tasks
- Establish and administer committees wherever relevant to accomplish the above tasks, in coordination with HARP Faculty Supervisor
- Peform any other related tasks as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirement:
- Bachelor degree, preferably in psychology or social sciences
- Five -seven years of previous experience, including two years in relevant activities
- High proficiency levels in English and Arabic written and oral communication
- Excellent computer skills (software, hardware, Internet)
- Creativity, Independent worker, self-starter
- Design/publishing software skills preferred
- Ability to multi-task, and flexibility
- Very organized and detail-oriented
The position is open until September 12, 2020
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Assistant Professor Of Social Psychology, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 28 days ago
Are you a social psychologist who is passionate about science and education? Do you publish high-quality research in the premier outlets of the field? Are you a dedicated and effective teacher? Ef...
Simulation Specialist, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
Location AE Organization Name Clinical Skills and Simulation Training - Academic Affairs About University The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar In...
Senior Laboratory Instructor, Anatomy Laboratory, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
Location AE Organization Name Anatomy and Cellular Biology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences About University The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines Th...
Maternity Replacement Coordinator Acle And Mlf, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 22 hours ago
The Master in Law and Finance (MLF) and the Amsterdam Center for Law and Economics (ACLE) are joint initiatives of the Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) and Amsterdam Law School (ALS) of...
Sr. Bioinformatician/Cheminformatician, University of Alberta, Canada, about 12 hours ago
Dr. David Wishart (Principle Investigator (PI), is a Distinguished University Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Alberta. His research program is situated in t...
Research Manager, University of Alberta, Canada, about 12 hours ago
Reporting to the Trustholder, the Research Manager will be responsible for supporting the research program of the Trustholder by providing executive-level assistance in financial and administrativ...