Reports to: Associate Dean Instructional Affairs
Purpose: The job holder will develop, direct and manage a wide range of in person and online non-credit AFL (Arabic as Foreign Language) programs and courses. He/she will be responsible for the delivery and overall success of all programs, supervision of staff and faculty, and coordination with the ALI Chair on progress, growth, needs and performance.
Provides leadership in all academic matters pertaining the Arabic non-credit hour program:
● Implements the center’s vision and mission
● Oversees all academic details of the ALCC program
● Develops and implements objectives for the ALCC program and courses in an effective and innovative fashion
● Develops and updates syllabi, teaching material, changes in textbooks, assessment plans. Leads the development and implementation of high-quality curricula, programs, teaching methods, courseware, and effective outcomes assessment. Maintains high academic standards
● Encourages /discusses/advises faculty creating new courses
● Assesses quality of teaching (teacher evaluations – class visits/ observations)
● Designs and implements assessment tools for placement and other purposes
● Plans program evaluation system
● Coordinates with SCE daily operations as needed with program part time teachers and staff. (Teachers’ schedules, teaching load. Controls course and section size).
● Plans teaching load/ teaching for instructors in coordination with ALI Chair and SCE unit heads
● Attends and leads all program committees and meetings as needed. Holds program meetings for instructors and allows teachers to provide feedback to inform the decision-making process
● Ensures effective induction and training of new part time faculty and advises and approves instructor’s new courses
● Prepares the academic calendar for ALCC
● Creates and maintains a solid network of part-time trained teachers, recruit’s quality part time teachers for program
● Communicates directly with incoming students regarding placement and course of study
● Advises and assists teachers over individual students and classes, taking action where necessary. Answers students’ inquiries and advises them
● Provides feedback to SCE and concerned departments and offices to publicize and market all ALCC courses and programs including Summer@AUC and Winter@AUC
● Works with SCE as needed to explore new markets and advises on market research, and marketing plan
● Advises on recruitment strategies
● Aligns program strategic planning goals with AUC’s pillars, and department and school (ALA) mission and goals
● Ensures that budgetary and program resources are used efficiently
● Teaches two courses per year
● Grows the center’s in-person and online track offerings
● Ensures that program website content is updated to appeal to program audiences
● Reports to ALI chair on all responsibilities, and coordinates with them all program developments and needs
● Performs any other related duties as assigned
Minimum Education Requirements :
- BA in Arabic language and literature
- Post graduate diploma or recognized professional training in AFL teaching
- 15 years of relevant experience out of which five in the management of an Arabic Foreign Language Program
· Strong knowledge of AFL market locally and internationally
· Comprehensive understanding of teacher development
· Excellent knowledge of AFL methodology
· Good knowledge of programming languages and or authoring tools and platforms is a plus
· Leadership, communication and strategic planning
· Excellent team worker, initiative taker, high sense of confidentiality, high oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to multi-task and to be self-motivated is essential
· High level of commitment to provide excellent customer service.
· Team & Program management skills
· Excellent organizational and time management skills.
The position is open until August 31, 2020
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Senior Public Relations And Marketing Specialist, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
ABOUT UNIVERSITY Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly int...
Assistant/Associate Professor, Department Of Pharmacology And Therapeutics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Job Description The United Arab Emirates University invites applications for a faculty position (Assistant or Associate Professor) at the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Qualified can...
Teacher For Artificial Intelligence Programme (0.8–1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
The School of Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a Teacher in the Bachelor’s programme of Artificial Intelligence and the Master’s programmes Artificial Intelligence and Human-Machine Commu...
Communications Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, 21 days ago
This part-time position has an end date of September 30, 2021, with the possibility of extension. The Alberta Land Institute (ALI) is an independent research institute based at the University of A...
Head Of Academic Quality And Enhancement , British University in Egypt ;, Egypt, 26 days ago
This is an exciting time to work in higher education in Egypt. With over 60 million young people under the age of 25, the development of a modern vibrant higher education sector has been recognise...
Course Lecturer Comp208 002, McGill University, Canada, 15 days ago
COURSE SUBJECT CODE TITLE COMP 208-002 Computers in Engineering LOCATION Downto...