About The American University in Cairo:
Founded in 1919, The American University in Cairo (AUC) is the region's leading English-language University and the center of the social, political and cultural life of the Arab world. With a community of students and faculty members representing more than 60 countries, AUC is a crossroads for the world's cultures and a vibrant forum for reasoned argument, spirited debate and understanding across cultures. AUC offers 36 undergraduate, 44 master's and two PhD programs rooted in a liberal arts education that encourages students to think critically and find creative solutions to conflicts and challenges facing both the region and the world. The University boasts the largest English-language library collection in Egypt, the fully equipped Kamal Adham Center for Television and Digital Journalism, three modern theaters and 13 cross-discipline research centers. The University's modern, 260-acre New Cairo campus represents a major investment in the future of the city, the country and the region--a state-of-the-art facility for advanced research, innovative teaching and civic engagement.
Chartered and accredited in the United States and Egypt, AUC is an independent, not-for-profit, equal-opportunity institution. More information about the university can be found at www.aucegypt.edu
The School of Sciences and Engineering (SSE) has approximately 2,370 undergraduate and graduate students. The School employs 107 full-time faculty and 145 additional staff members. The school houses ten departments with thirteen undergraduate programs, fifteen master's programs, two PhD programs, and the Yousef Jameel Science and Technology Research Center, Center for Applied Research on the Environment and Sustainability, Center of Nano-electronics and Devices and the Engineering and Science Services. The undergraduate programs encompass Actuarial Science, Architectural Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Construction Engineering, Data Science, Electronics and Communications Engineering, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, and Physics. The master's programs encompass Architecture, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Computing, Construction Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Global Public Health, Mechanical Engineering, Nanotechnology, Robotics, Control and Smart Systems, Petroleum Engineering, Physics and Sustainable Development. The PhD programs are in applied sciences and in engineering. More information about the school can be found at http://www.aucegypt.edu/sse/Pages/default.aspx
The Dean provides leadership and executive management to the departments, centers and units that comprise the school. The Dean is responsible for strategic planning, budgeting, development, implementing and evaluating programs, assuring external funding to support research and the growth of the school, developing faculty, and maintaining accreditation and professional standards.
The Dean is responsible for managing the school's faculty, staff and students, and creating innovative opportunities to ensure the development and progression of student educational experiences. The Dean must demonstrate a deep commitment to diversity while supporting curriculum development and research enterprise. The Dean is expected to lead and coordinate the school's governance, including the school's administrators' selection, oversee the faculty and staff selection and retention processes, and coordinate the school administrators and staff's professional development. The Dean is also expected to enhance scholarship while ensuring students' and faculty's academic quality and providing collaborative leadership to faculty and staff.
The Dean will lead the school toward achieving University goals and promoting the school by enhancing external relationships. The Dean is also expected to evaluate overall departmental/school productivity in instruction, research, and service responsibilities. He/She is to supervise and support departments in a manner that promotes excellence in instruction, scholarly and creative productivity, and service at the University.
The Dean reports to the Provost. The Dean directly supervises the department chairs and directors of centers and units and the administrative staff supporting the Office of the Dean.
The successful Dean candidate will be an experienced academic leader with interpersonal and leadership skills necessary to set and achieve ambitious goals. He/She will possess an outstanding record of accomplishment in research, teaching and administration, and will demonstrate uncompromising commitment to academic and educational excellence, to the highest ethical standards, and to the creation and support of a vibrant and broadly diverse community of faculty, students and staff across SSE.
The successful candidates will demonstrate how they meet the following:
- An earned doctorate in an area related to one of the School's disciplines, and a record of recognized scholarly research and teaching accomplishments sufficient to merit appointment as a full professor in one of the school's departments
- Solid record of extensive leadership experience in academic environments fostering a culture of shared governance, working collaboratively with faculty from a multitude of disciplines
- A leader who fosters inclusive consultation and decision-making
- A record showing collaborative working relationships with business and industry partners, agencies, community organizations and/or education institutions.
- A record demonstrating creative thinking and the ability to make clear, informed decisions
- A record demonstrating superior communication skills and the ability to articulate a compelling message to diverse audiences
- Financial acumen and proven abilities in budget and financial management
- A strong, unwavering commitment to the primacy of the liberal education mission
- A leader with a proven track record for bringing groups together to meet objectives
- A record demonstrating the ability to come up with innovative solutions for the increasing risks facing college education from industrial alternative programs.
- Should be able to demonstrate an awareness of the forces shaping higher education by 2030 and provide a proactive vision for SSE internationalization
- Experience with student recruitment and retention
- Experience with faculty recruitment and retention
- Experience in strategic planning and the ability to work collaboratively with faculty and academic leaders to identify the academic priorities of the school and develop strategies and tactics for achieving them
- A commitment to and evidence of securing external support through fundraising and development
- A commitment to professional, community-based, applied, and innovative education and scholarship
- Experience living and working in the region is a plus
- Experience in supporting entrepreneurial activities for faculty
- Experience in supporting faculty in scholarly research, teaching, and service
- Experience in supporting student achievement and student success
- A clear awareness of innovative pedagogical practices in STEM education and the use of instructional technologies to support teaching and learning
- An ability to provide civic leadership and to successfully work with professionals in industry and academic, community, and governmental organizations
- Familiarity with the U.S. Higher Education System
- Familiarity with the Middle East and North America cultures and contexts
Salary and benefits are competitive, based on qualifications and professional experience.
Appointment will start July 1, 2021
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Full consideration will be given to applications submitted by January 10, 2021.
All applicants must submit the following documents via the online system:
a) an updated CV; b) a letter of interest; c) a completed AUC Personnel Information Form (PIF); and d) names and contact information for at least three references familiar with the candidate's academic and professional background.
Assistant Professor, RUDARSKO-GEOLOŠKO-NAFTNI FAKULTET, Croatia, 21 days ago
Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering announces vacancy for an Assistant Professor in the Scientific area of Technical Sciences, field: Basic Technical Sciences, branch: Technical M...
Ppad Assistant Professor Of Public Policy , The American University in Cairo ;, Egypt, 10 days ago
Company Description: Founded in 1919, AUC moved to a new 270-acre state-of-the-art campus in New Cairo in 2008. The University also operates in its historic downtown facilities, offering cultural ...
Researcher In Computer Science: Industrial And Manufacturing Informatics (Ref 204009), University of Oslo, Norway, 28 days ago
SIRIUS is a Centre for Research-based Innovation in Scalable Data Access in the Oil & Gas Domain. The aim of the centre is to provide a vehicle for delivering industrially relevant, innovative res...
Tenure Track Faculty Position In Geotechnical Engineering, University of Alberta, Canada, about 13 hours ago
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Alberta invites applications to a tenure-track or tenured position with expertise in energy geotechnics research. The Fac...
Research Engineer, Petroleum Engineering, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, Europe, 21 days ago
Job Description Conduct research in carbon capture and storage technologies relevant to Singapore’s context. Estimate CO2 emission profile and evaluate options for subsurface storage in ASEAN cou...
Professor/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor In Earth Sciences , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
ABOUT UNIVERSITY Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly int...