Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Purpose: The animal care specialist is responsible for caring for animals in the clinical or research setting. The animal care specialist's duties include maintaining animal records, cleaning cages and other equipment, assisting in administering injections and medications, experimental protocols and preparing laboratory samples. In addition, they may be assigned tasks associated with analyses and surgical procedures in the Vivarium (animal housing) or transfer of material to analytical laboratories with I-GHHE.
- Ensuring assigned animal labs’ readiness for housing, procedures and daily cleanliness
- Conduct and maintain daily, or as requested, records on
- Independently conduct and assist with
- Sample collection and preliminary analyses of
- Behavioral assessment in response to chemical testing
- Assist in establishing protocols and training for students and faculty conducting research across AUC stakeholders
- Liaison and work with contract veterinarian to implement and maintain Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) guidelines
- Carry out instructions regarding animal health and/or treatment, as provided by the contract veterinarian, maintain records of visits and logging instructions
- Supporting researchers in laboratory analyses, and procedures which may include dosing regimens, behavioral testing, surgical procedures, euthanasia and termination of studies
- Maintain inventory and ordering of vivarium supplies such as bedding, feed, first aid and minor surgical supply, disinfectants, biohazard disposal systems
- Perform minor biomedical analyses in hematology and immunology as assigned by manager or PIs
- Maintaining the daily cleanliness and security of facility in terms access, best practices, individual environmental controls
- Maintaining an updated inventory of all lab items (equipment, devices, tools, consumables) and animal per diem for charge-back to grants and user fees
- Responsible for some heavy-lifting and outdoor activities
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
Minimum Education Requirement :
BSc in biology, chemistry, biotechnology, or veterinary technology or related field
At least two years of experience or significant animal use during studies
o Able to work with minimal supervision and alone, when needed
o Good command of English and Arabic (spoken and written)
o Ability to handle animals and minor monitoring or analytical equipment, varied instrumentation for collection, including best practices in laboratory safety and hazard control
o Knowledge of computers, software, and network concepts in data collection and inventory (eg excel)
o Good background about contemporary animal safety and humane treatment as per the ethical guidelines
o Good troubleshooting and problem anticipation
o Good communication, interpersonal skills and analytical skills
o Time management and planning skills
o Can work under pressure and within a team
o Ability to train other staff members, students and faculty
The position is open until July 25, 2021
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Animal Technician, Arizona State University, United States, 24 days ago
70936BR Campus: Tempe Animal Technician Job Description ASU Knowledge Enterprise’s Department of Animal Care and Technologies is seeking an Animal Technician. As an Animal Technician you will be r...
Lab Technician , University of Alberta, Canada, 6 days ago
This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority considerat...
Assistant Professor Veterinary Medicine Extension, Washington State University, Worldwide, about 4 hours ago
Title: 270-NN - Assistant Professor Business Title: Assistant Professor-Veterinary Medicine Extension Additional Titles: Location: Employee Type: Faculty Job Family: Faculty - Academic - Not OT El...
Senior Lecturer/Lecturer In Animal Nutrition, Forage Management & Utilization , University of the West Indies ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES ST. AUGUSTINE, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, WEST INDIES FACULTY OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE, DEPARTMENT OF FOOD PRODUCTION SENIOR LECTURER/LECTURER IN ANIMAL NUTRITION, FORAG...
Parasitology Technician, Massey University, New Zealand, 3 days ago
SVS - Foundation of Veterinary Science Groups College of Sciences Palmerston North CS_SVSFVSG_1133_08/21 Professional Grade 4 44588 - 65169 College of Sciences Term length: ongoing Hours of work: ...
Veterinary Nurse Companion Animal Hospital, Massey University, New Zealand, 3 days ago
SVS - VTH Surgery Nurses College of Sciences Palmerston North CS_SVSVTHSN_1140_08/21 Professional Grade 4 44588 - 65169 College of Sciences Term length: ongoing Hours of work: full-time Position O...